• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dilapidated steam loco tender near Doncaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I was on a northbound XC Voyager a couple of weeks ago, which was held on the approach to Doncaster, as is usually the case. To my surprise I noted to my right, to the south side of the line, a rusting steam locomotive tender half-buried amongst a selection of decrepit vans and lorry trailers in what looked to be the storage yard for either a small haulage company or a scrap dealer. I managed to snap a quick, and unfortunately low quality, photo of it before my train moved off again.

It is identifiable on Google maps, just off Greenfield Lane in the compound closest to the railway (Whose access road is also marked as "Greenfield Lane"):
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place...ed=0CAwQ-gswAA&sa=X&ei=7cmTT5isOaXf4QSYycWZDA

I was just wondering whether anybody knew anything about it? It looks like it has been there for a long time. Would it be possible for anyone to identify which class of loco it would have once been paired with?

Attachments

• IMG_2866.jpg
    IMG_2866.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 77
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LE Greys

Established Member
Looks like an LNER three-axle type, although I'm not entirely sure. A reasonable guess would be a B1 or something that size.

theblackwatch

Established Member
A fascinating find...cannot believe I have been past so many times and not spotted this!

Status
Not open for further replies.