• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dilemma...(Ryanair scheduled strikes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Of course it's easier to write a bad review than a good one, but much as I hate Manchester Airport, it sounds palatial compared to L/B!!

Manchester T2 is streets ahead of LBA, definitely. But Jet2 are streets ahead of Ryanair, so it really is swings and roundabouts. Checkin is much better with Jet2- they actually have enough staff- and as most people flying with them are on package holidays with inclusive hold luggage it's not a nightmare getting a cabin bag on board.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I would not be surprised in future to see companies like Jet2 & easyJet start to look at some kind of 'Premium' or at least 'Economy Plus' soft products on some of their routes in future

I'd be more surprised with Jet2, who've really estsblished themselves as a package holiday operator (who blow TUI and Thomas Cook out of the water).

ac6000cw

Established Member
We used Jet2 for the first time recently (from Stansted) as part of a - booked very last minute - Jet2 package holiday. No complaints. Takeoff was delayed by about 30 minutes due to member of cabin crew going sick that morning, so they had to get someone else in to cover, but they kept us well informed about what was happening. I'd certainly fly with them again.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I'd be more surprised with Jet2, who've really estsblished themselves as a package holiday operator (who blow TUI and Thomas Cook out of the water).

To be honest I wouldn't in the long run, especially if the likes of Thomas Cook don't get themselves out of trouble. They already lease a couple of wide body craft, and so could easily lease additional if other companies drop routes and/or charters, especially for the likes of Caribbean Cruises which might suit Jet2's holiday package model in the future & might be an place to start with upgraded products. I suspect their tentative step into the Trans-Atlantic market was a precursor for moving further afield if/when a gap in the market appears.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
BBC reporting the strikes have been blocked by a court in Ireland. A larger strike is currently the subject of a case in London.

Howardh

Established Member
BBC reporting the strikes have been blocked by a court in Ireland. A larger strike is currently the subject of a case in London.
I'm glad I have booked an alternative just in case. So much going on with my life right now I need a short break and could do without worrying if I can get there at all.

cactustwirly

Established Member
To be honest I wouldn't in the long run, especially if the likes of Thomas Cook don't get themselves out of trouble. They already lease a couple of wide body craft, and so could easily lease additional if other companies drop routes and/or charters, especially for the likes of Caribbean Cruises which might suit Jet2's holiday package model in the future & might be an place to start with upgraded products. I suspect their tentative step into the Trans-Atlantic market was a precursor for moving further afield if/when a gap in the market appears.

Both Thomas Cook and TUI are in financial trouble atm, not sure how well Jet2 are doing.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Both Thomas Cook and TUI are in financial trouble atm, not sure how well Jet2 are doing.

Well they are recruiting like crazy, adding new routes, so they must be at least feeling confident. And according to their latest financial report the parent company Dart Group had the best year to date for the 2018/19 period, all whilst expanding & updating their fleet with new 737-800 deliveries & leased A321/330s.

https://www.jet2.com/leading-leisure-travel-group
(Apologies for the lack of quoted text from the link, but there is a mixture of text & graphics on that page).

Of course the dreaded 'B' event might change all this in a couple of months, although with a weakened pound holiday makers & travellers might look more to low cost carriers in the future. And with RyanAir hamstrung by the 737-Max problems, they might be eyeing more routes that their competitors might have to release.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
The High Court in London did not block the strike action in their ruling this afternoon.

However, Ryanair say they will run a 'full schedule' of flights, according to BBC News.

To me the picture doesn't seem massively clear. Am I missing something?

scotrail158713

Established Member
The High Court in London did not block the strike action in their ruling this afternoon.

However, Ryanair say they will run a 'full schedule' of flights, according to BBC News.

To me the picture doesn't seem massively clear. Am I missing something?
Yeah that didn’t make sense to me either. But obviously something has been sorted.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

Thomas Cook mostly seem to be the victims of hedge fund types shorting their stock and trying to manufacture a crisis to ensure the shorting is profitable. And profitable shorting lets in the private equity chaps to make a second killing.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Thomas Cook mostly seem to be the victims of hedge fund types shorting their stock and trying to manufacture a crisis to ensure the shorting is profitable. And profitable shorting lets in the private equity chaps to make a second killing.

A bit OT for the thread, but shorting needs to be banned. It's a despicable practice that does nothing but destroy businesses. The stock and currency market should be about betting on success, not failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.