• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Direct services map

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
I've not seen this mentioned here before, but it's very neat:

Type a station name into the search box (top right) and it'll show you all the destinations on a direct train from that station. It works anywhere in Europe, not just the UK.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A S Leib

It doesn't always show all of them; no Edinburgh or Aberdeen services are shown for Watford Junction.

Bantamzen

Established Member
It doesn't always show all of them; no Edinburgh or Aberdeen services are shown for Watford Junction.
There is a caveat at the bottom of the page stating that some trains may be missing as the site uses a (legacy) API by Deutsche Bahn, so its not going to be perfect, but there is a chat to update the devs on anything missing:

Why are some trains missing from the map?​

direkt.bahn.guru internally uses a (legacy) API by Deutsche Bahn to find all direct trains running via a given station within the next 1-2 weeks. This API includes most trains in central Europe, but data availability gets significantly lower the further away stations are from routes (co-)operated by DB. Furthermore, trains operated by smaller companies seem to be missing more often than those run by state-owned operators, probably due to a lack of data sharing agreements.

Why do we use this DB-specific API in the first place? Unfortunately, there still isn't any public dataset available which covers all public transport routes in Europe (or even the EU, at least). Some countries don‘t provide data at all, others only publish data per region and operator (e.g. France), which is very hard to combine into a single dataset. See also: https://eu.data.public-transport.earth

That being said, we‘ll try to use a more complete data source as soon as one becomes available.

Can I help to fix this?​

Yes, you could (e.g.):

• comment below if you found a train that should be on the map, but isn't (please mention the train number and operator, and destination, if possible) to help us understand these edge cases
  • raise awareness for this issue (the lack of data) by contacting politicians in your country, complaining about it on Twitter, etc. (be creative )

gabrielhj07

It's pretty good although there are a few problems, such as it treating Waterloo & Waterloo East as one station, and the same for King's Cross/St Pancras. It also shows direct trains as running from Strawberry Hill around the Hounslow Loop, which to the best of my knowledge doesn't happen, at least not unless there's disruption.

Craig1122

It's pretty good although there are a few problems, such as it treating Waterloo & Waterloo East as one station, and the same for King's Cross/St Pancras. It also shows direct trains as running from Strawberry Hill around the Hounslow Loop, which to the best of my knowledge doesn't happen, at least not unless there's disruption.
I think there was a weird Sunday afternoon only working Kingston - Twickenham - Hounslow loop in the pre covid timetable which implies the data may be out of date?

I presume it may also pick up once a day workings which may not be that useful. Some places have odd positioning moves to get trains to/from depot early & late.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
It's pretty good although there are a few problems, such as it treating Waterloo & Waterloo East as one station,
Good
and the same for King's Cross/St Pancras.
Good. Conflation of Woolwich and Woolwich Arsenal is more questionable.
It also shows direct trains as running from Strawberry Hill around the Hounslow Loop, which to the best of my knowledge doesn't happen, at least not unless there's disruption.
Hourly on Sunday in the current timetable, and ran for some years before the pandemic.

Last edited:

Craig1122

Hourly on Sunday in the current timetable, and ran for some years before the pandemic.
Found it, a bit of a secret service. There's an oblique reference in the column notes on the Kingston pocket timetable and nothing at all on the Hounslow one! I guess it's really two services joined together for operating convenience and probably few people would use the through route.

In any case doesn't look too be running for the next few weeks due to engineering work various!

greatkingrat

Established Member
I think the issue is it doesn't deal with splitting trains correctly. Similarly if you look at Shrewsbury, it shows direct trains to Aberystwyth but not to Pwllheli.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I think the issue is it doesn't deal with splitting trains correctly. Similarly if you look at Shrewsbury, it shows direct trains to Aberystwyth but not to Pwllheli.
Looks like the system thinks that all trains to/from Pwllheli start from or terminate at Machynlleth. (Most join with / split from a portion from Aberystwyth and then continue to / from Birmingham International).

Lewlew

This is just what I needed for my upcoming interrail trip. Thanks for sharing

thenorthern

Established Member
Only issue I have is that Tamworth as a whole is listed as "Tamworth Low Level" even for the high level trains but that isn't something I can really complain about.

pdeaves

Established Member

Envoy

Established Member
I tested it for Newport (South Wales) and it came up with direct services to York, Newcastle & Glasgow via Edinburgh. Wrong - except when Cross Country make diversions into Newport for the south-west to Scotland services via Newcastle.

pdeaves

Established Member

Purple Orange

On Moderation
That is a cracking map. The colour coding showing the journey times is fascinating. Look at how neat the London termini look, compared to the mess at Manchester & Birmingham!

BJames

Established Member
This really is an interesting site! It did seem to be unable to distinguish between Enfield Chase and Enfield Town - e.g. displays direct from Enfield Town to Royston, and from Enfield Chase to Stoke Newington.

That said though, it is really great - I enjoyed seeing the Nottingham connections and was reminded of the infrequent direct link to Reading and to Carlisle.

BeccaOnATrain

This is really neat! Thanks for sharing! Another one to add to my list to use when planning trips alongside OpenRailwayMap. :smile:

WesternBiker

Fascinating!

It shows direct trains service from Wimbledon to Weymouth (nearly all stations) and Portsmouth - neither of which I was aware of (the one to Weymouth runs at 05:43, and to Portsmouth at 05:22 and 05:35, which might explain it). Hours of potential fun...

Basil Jet

On Moderation
Fascinating!

It shows direct trains service from Wimbledon to Weymouth (nearly all stations) and Portsmouth - neither of which I was aware of (the one to Weymouth runs at 05:43, and to Portsmouth at 05:22 and 05:35, which might explain it). Hours of potential fun...
Don't a lot of extra trains from far-flung parishes stop at Wimbledon during the sportsball?

A S Leib

Don't a lot of extra trains from far-flung parishes stop at Wimbledon during the sportsball?
Three trains from Exeter, five from Weymouth and three from Portsmouth (two Harbour, one Southsea) on the morning of the 27th.

WesternBiker

Three trains from Exeter, five from Weymouth and three from Portsmouth (two Harbour, one Southsea) on the morning of the 27th.
In the past, they have also stopped the Alton and Basingstoke semi-fasts for the tennis.

The Alton and Basingstoke semi-fasts stop regularly at Wimbledon on Sundays, but the map doesn’t show the stops from Alton, only those from Basingstoke. So the issue around trains that join and divide mentioned higher up in the thread seems to apply here, too.

Also, the map isn’t showing Salisbury or Exeter, despite the stops you mention on 27th. The extra stops then are “to drop off passengers only”, so I wonder if that’s why?

Last edited:

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
This really is an interesting site! It did seem to be unable to distinguish between Enfield Chase and Enfield Town - e.g. displays direct from Enfield Town to Royston, and from Enfield Chase to Stoke Newington.

That said though, it is really great - I enjoyed seeing the Nottingham connections and was reminded of the infrequent direct link to Reading and to Carlisle.
It also seems unable to distinguish between Upper Warlingham and Whyteleafe

humbersidejim

I’m enjoying playing with this, especially some of the bigger stations on the European mainland.

Which station has the most far flung direct services into other countries?

miklcct

On Moderation
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be useful for me. It doesn't show the frequency to distinguish between turn-up-and-go and a once-a-day services, as it's utterly useless to suggest there are direct trains from Wimbledon to Weymouth when a change at Woking is almost always required.

A S Leib

I’m enjoying playing with this, especially some of the bigger stations on the European mainland.

Which station has the most far flung direct services into other countries?
Paris-Est is 1,867 km from Bucharest Nord, so I think Wien Hbf's in the running for the largest total span.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
It's a fascinating site, and great fun to play around with. A few flaws I've found: it appears to treat most or all of the termini in central Budapest as though they were one station. Apparent omissions include Northern Ireland Railways, Latvian railways, and some or all of the local "private" railway lines or networks in Italy (e.g. FUC at Udine, FSE at Lecce).

Not sure it distinguishes between trains and de facto permanent SNCF bustitutions in France, either. There are few other oddities too.

None the less, an interesting site and potentially a useful tool.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Cool tool. One issue I found on Chrome - you can double-click to zoom in, but I can't figure out any way to zoom back out again.

And does Euston really have direct trains to St. Albans Abbey? That doesn't seem right.

Status
Not open for further replies.