• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disabled Assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confined to a wheelchair and a railway enthusiast also. On Good Friday, I shall be travelling from LDS-KMK (via BHM and GLC) - just for some variety! I want to travel a bit more of the West Coast Main line; and travel in some comfort too!

TOC's used will be XC;VWC and Scotrail. Will be happy to post about my experiences (return Tuesday 10th April)

I have got plenty of experience of Scotrail (all of it positive); some experience of XC (again positive) and some experience of VWC (on the whole positive but not always so - do well to look at staff attitudes at Euston!).

The best TOC (as a wheelchair user) is undoubtedly TPE; closely followed by FGW; EC isn't too bad; EMT is good - shame about the food; SWT (in my limited experience) good.

Feel free to add your comments and thankyou for reading.

Stephen

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
Hello Stephen! Welcome to the forum! :)

I'd be interested to see what, if any, opinion you have as to the wheelchair-friendliness of Southern, which is one of my local TOCs.

Details of the various classes which are most easily accessible to you, and which provide the most pleasant accommodation, would be interesting as well. As a frequent train traveller, I often wonder how good the accessibility of certain stock is, since I have no effective way of testing this.

Aside from the above, I look forward to your other future posts, and I'm sure you'll find this an interesting and friendly forum to discuss things in.

Thanks TSR for your post. I have never had cause to use Southern TOC (I live in Leeds). I can't comment I'm afraid. I know someone in SWT's area - so know something of their facilities.

The most comfortable sets for me are the TPE Class 185 - very smooth running. TPE are my closest TOC. I would not (out of choice) use Northern (the other local TOC) as they have pretty decrepit rolling stock.

I can recommend TPE, as a disabled traveller. Friendly & obliging staff. The sets also carry onboard ramps too.

In fairness to Northern, their customer relations (for assisted travel) is very good.

I'll be happy to post my experiences of travelling from LDS-KMK (via BHM &GLC).

The last two occasions I have made this journey, they have been by different routes. Aug 2011 LDS-GLC - by XC TOC; and then, GLC -KMK by Scotrail. Christmas 2011 LDS-CAR by Northern (unfortunately); and CAR-KMK (Scotrail).

Thanks again for your post and watch this space for news of my travels.

Stephen
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks TSR for your post. I have never had cause to use Southern TOC (I live in Leeds). I can't comment I'm afraid. I know someone in SWT's area - so know something of their facilities.

The most comfortable sets for me are the TPE Class 185 - very smooth running. TPE are my closest TOC. I would not (out of choice) use Northern (the other local TOC) as they have pretty decrepit rolling stock.

I can recommend TPE, as a disabled traveller. Friendly & obliging staff. The sets also carry onboard ramps too.

In fairness to Northern, their customer relations (for assisted travel) is very good.

I'll be happy to post my experiences of travelling from LDS-KMK (via BHM &GLC).

The last two occasions I have made this journey, they have been by different routes. Aug 2011 LDS-GLC - by XC TOC; and then, GLC -KMK by Scotrail. Christmas 2011 LDS-CAR by Northern (unfortunately); and CAR-KMK (Scotrail).

Thanks a

Last edited:

34D

Established Member
I would not (out of choice) use Northern (the other local TOC) as they have pretty decrepit rolling stock.

I do know what you mean, however it is worth mentioning that most Northern units carry ramps and have wheelchair spaces. Classes 155, 156, 158 and 333 have accessible toilets - though I also would be interested to hear your detailed feedback of these and other trains/buses.

Thanks for your post. When I've collected my thoughts I'll shall post them online. I did try to do this earlier using my mobile but it ran out of memeory. Briefly, very interesting trip with additional and unexpected rail mileage. Stranraer to Kilmarnock (Easter Sunday) and Ardrossan Harbour to Glasgow Central and Glasgow Central to Kilmarnock (Bank Holiday Monday).

In relation to this morning's shennanigans at Glasgow Central, I travelled, from Glasgow Central Low Level to Motherwell, to connect with the truncated 12:00 GLC (started from Motherwell) to EUS service (as far as BHM).

Status
Not open for further replies.