Disabled Discounts?

Discussion in 'International Transport' started by gray1404, 6 Jun 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gray1404

gray1404 Established Member

I have a disabled persons railcard. I know this is not valid on Eurostar or on mainland Europe.... however: -

1. does Eurostar give any discounts to disabled persons?
    2. do any of the railways abroad give discounts to disabled persons, which visitors from the UK could access?

2. Quakkerillo

Quakkerillo Member

http://www.eurostar.com/sites/defau... Assistance Guide Customers - interactive.pdf

explains everything for disabled travelling with Eurostar.
    Only for wheelchair users and their accompanying person.

On mainland Europe, there's no special discounts most of the time (that I know of). If you need aid getting on the train (wheelchair/scooter), you often can only board at certain stations, if announced well in time (for Belgium even 24h).
    There are however often priority seats of course, but if you're handicapped, even when any sensible person should offer their seat when there's no free seats anyway.

3. Gavioliuk

Gavioliuk Member

4. ajb690

ajb690 Member

My wife uses a wheelchair, and we travelled London - Frankfurt last year.

Post 2 is correct as to pricing - which I know is all you asked about. However, have to say ES were great with help - boarded us onto the train first at both ends, met us at Brussels on the outwards and return, and even pushed her wheelchair through to the interchange platform. They also stuck us in a cab when the lifts had broken down at St Pancras so we could make our onward connection.

DB were a bit spottier, but no complaints (couldn't find anyone to help me board at Frankfurt, but not a big problem as all the other passengers helped, which was nice of them). Make sure you put the wheelchair in the "official" spot for it, as I didn't know there was one and got told off.

When booking, I called DB directly (they have a UK number) and booked with them, including the ES part. They then organised all the assistance for me, much easier than trying to do it online.

Hope this is useful,

Drew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.