• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disabled Person's Railcard - can rail staff ask about the disability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Thanks. My father rang up National Rail Enquiries and then said to me that what I read in the forum must be wrong.

Sounds like the person my father spoke to didn't know about CON 50.

I have posted elsewhere that when I worked on the railway a customer told me about it. It was never mentioned in training or in any of the briefing documents that came around.

anme

Established Member
No such requirement.

If a TM wants me to show him on board that it is my ticket then I show him my driving licence. Never been told it was unacceptable.

The only requirement is to show proof of foreign residence at validation (not passport but a foreign one would normally suffice). No requirement to carry ID when travelling.

So a British person living abroad (with only a British passport) can buy a Britrail pass, correct? What proof of foreign residence would be required?

infobleep

Veteran Member
I have posted elsewhere that when I worked on the railway a customer told me about it. It was never mentioned in training or in any of the briefing documents that came around.

At least your understanding. Some customer service staff in companies only follow scripts and if you come up with something different they dismiss it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

When people got on at the sparse stations and wanted to pay by card, the card machine declined it straight away, this happened to at least 8 people but yet the conductor was making out to be the passengers fault by not having any cash on them to pay for the ticket and stated that if it happened again when that conductor was on, he threatened to take all their names and send them off to Scotrail for Penalty Fares.

To be fair, I think he was just a jobsworth conductor as he asked what my disability was due to me having a Disabled Railcard, but he got firmly told under the Equality Act 2010 he couldn't ask me that sort of question.

on this point - scotrail can't issue penalty fares though can they, since there's no penalty fare stations or trains?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
So a British person living abroad (with only a British passport) can buy a Britrail pass, correct? What proof of foreign residence would be required?

Yes.

As an example, a foreign residence card of some sort would be sufficient, alternatively if you have permanent residence abroad, the visa in your passport would also do. There is no definitive list that I am aware of.

Thanks. My father rang up National Rail Enquiries and then said to me that what I read in the forum must be wrong.

Sounds like the person my father spoke to didn't know about CON 50.

Sounds more like someone from a call centre in India reading from a script.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Well the script should include disabled people. Of course I think some companies don't consider disabled people to economically worth it. For example go into a pub/bar and you will see adverts in toilets, such as the gents but not in the disabled one. Why don't they want to advertise to disabled people? Does it cost more to put up the advertising than numbers of disabled using? Don't they want the disabled people custom? When I use disabled here I include anyone who needs to use a disabled loo.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
I have my DPRC as I'm 50% deaf in one ear and I'm quite shocked that the Laurencekirk Office only require the front cover of the battery book without as much as supporting evidence from say the Audiology clinic or your doctor...

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
I have my DPRC as I'm 50% deaf in one ear and I'm quite shocked that the Laurencekirk Office only require the front cover of the battery book without as much as supporting evidence from say the Audiology clinic or your doctor...

I was as well. I can hear reasonably well from one ear and yet qualify for the card. I suppose they're not willing to take a stance on the threshold where a hearing impairment becomes a disability.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
I was as well. I can hear reasonably well from one ear and yet qualify for the card. I suppose they're not willing to take a stance on the threshold where a hearing impairment becomes a disability.

But yet in respect of the NEC up here in Scotland, you have to be deaf greater than or equal to 70Db over 1, 2 and 4Khz to be able to receive one...That doesn't make one bit of sense to me whatsoever...

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I needed a bit of paperwork from the doctor when I made my first application and I'm a lot deafer* than that! I, too, am surprised that they no loger seem to be requesting medical proof.

*Right ear 100dB loss. Left ear - totally deaf if implant batteries go flat; was a 100dB loss pre-implantation; with implant on the loss is much reduced and it only takes a couple of minutes to change the batteries ( unless driving of course! ) but the NHS only pays for one side to be implanted in adults.

Wolfie

Established Member
I don't think it is a case of what they want to restrict it to, but rather how they restrict it. Some places I have noted have taken to changing "disabled parking" to "Disabled badge holders parking" or similar.

...and that is almost certainly a breach of the Equality Act which requires reasonable adjustments to be made for people with disabilities and does NOT limit such people to those with Blue Badges...

bnm

Established Member
I don't think it is a case of what they want to restrict it to, but rather how they restrict it. Some places I have noted have taken to changing "disabled parking" to "Disabled badge holders parking" or similar.

...and that is almost certainly a breach of the Equality Act which requires reasonable adjustments to be made for people with disabilities and does NOT limit such people to those with Blue Badges...

Besides which, Blue Badges have no meaning anywhere other than on the public highway or in local authority controlled car parks.

faddy

I have a DPR and an invisible disability. In six years of DPR use, only once has it caused an enquiry from a guard. He politely asked whether I'd need help leaving the train. I didn't, but it was nice to be asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.