Disabled Railcard fare query

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by STEVIEBOY1, 1 Feb 2020.

1. TUC

TUC Established Member

I agree with you.

The problem is that is implying a facial disfigurement is something that people would want to hide away. Far more positive for it to be regarded as something just as likely to be on a railcard photo as any other face.

2. STEVIEBOY1

STEVIEBOY1 Established Member

Hi, I have another query about this, as it is my friend that was recently issued with a disabled persons railcard & gets a discount of one third and as discussed above I will travelling with him so I also get the discount. If booking online, can I book and pay on my payment card, he will of course bring his railcard when we travel, but the booking would be in my name rather than his, or should he really do the booking? He is not too good with online transactions. I don't want any problems with the inspectors. Thanks again, Steve.

3. Deafdoggie

Deafdoggie Established Member

It matters not who does the booking. It can be either of you, or someone else entirely. It doesn’t matter at all. All that matters is that the railcard is carried at all times on the journey and is shown at all ticket inspections.

4. gray1404

gray1404 Established Member

And the 2 discounted tickets can be purchased separately too, doesn't have to be at the same time.

5. Vespa

Vespa Member

I have disabled railcard. I preferred the hard card to the digital version as the battery will never run out on a physical card.
    It works out cheaper to get a 3 year card.

Generally you get 1/3 off and have used it many times over, I've treated myself to first class on the back of it, it doesn't however give me any discount on the GWR sleeper service.

That said I've only been asked once to show my card, I still carry it around when I travel as sods law being what it is, the day you don't have it is probably the day they ask to see it.

6. gray1404

Since Red Spotted Hanky stopped being a Tesco Clubcard partner, I've used my Clubcard points to buy a one year Disabled Person's Railcard. I always show my ticket and railcard together.

7. STEVIEBOY1

STEVIEBOY1 Established Member

Great, thank you.

8. Urban-Savage

Urban-Savage Member

RE disabled railcards one thing i have noticed is that im never asked to show it - where as other railcards always are - only exception is sometimes barriers at Euston
    Also - is there ever any further eligibility checks on renewal of these?

9. Saperstein

Saperstein Member

Yes. Since I got my latest one in digital form (on my phone) I can count the number of times I have needed to produce it on one hand! (and that’s always been when challenged on the train.)

In fact it’s the same with tickets, only today I was waved through the gate line at Moorfields. Happens all the time at Chester.

I had opened my ticket wallet on approach but all that could be seen was my EMT smart card lol. (My Walrus card was underneath it).

Never in my experience. I don’t see the point TBH. Disabled pax seldom become un-Disabled. If anything illnesses tend to progress further :(

Saperstein.

10. Llanigraham

Llanigraham On Moderation

I've been asked to show my Card at Euston, B'ham New St and B'ham International, nearly every journey on TfW and was often asked on VirginWC. Have done 2 journeys on AvantiWC and not been asked for it.

11. Saperstein

Saperstein Member

Yes *always* get a ticket check on TfW.

To clarify I don’t tend to use my Disabled Railcard on journeys within the Merseyrail Saveaway area as the Saveaway ticket is often cheaper but of course can’t be discounted by use of a railcard.

Saperstein.

12. gazthomas

gazthomas Established Member

I have had mine checked multiple times, TfW and AWC. In the case of the latter eveb he QR code on the app was scanned

13. gray1404

I just show mine as standard along with the ticket. I don't wait to be asked. Makes it easier and quicker for myself and the person checking tickets.