• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Discounted London OD Travelcards from Fast Ticket machines ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Zod

The trainline site allows you to purchase a Railcard Discounted Travelcard from West Ruislip for £5.00. Could one buy this discounted ticket from the Fast Ticket machines that are present at the Chiltern Trains entrance of the station ( via car park) or would you have to go to the ticket office ( which is only open at certain times of the day). IIRC you cannot buy a RCD One Day Travelcard from the LU ticket machines.

zod

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sammyg901

I've got a feeling that you can now buy a travel card with a RC discount from an LU machine - I haven't done it myself but i'm sure I saw an option.

Otherwise you definately can from the Chiltern machine.

Ilove165's

Yes from the Chiltern one (I do it most days)

No to getting them from LU machines, you'd have to go to the ticket office (which, at West Ruislip, is closed 90% of the day...)

General Zod

That is good news. The times I've used West Ruislip station I cannot recall the ticket office ever being open ! Do they only open at morning / afternoon peaks ?

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
If you usually buy a travel card from a ticket machine,it is more,and it is only goes to Zone 4,well this might just be my ticket machine at the local station.
Regards

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes from the Chiltern one (I do it most days)

No to getting them from LU machines, you'd have to go to the ticket office (which, at West Ruislip, is closed 90% of the day...)
If the ticket is unavailable at your origin you can pay at the first opportunity (on board if a conductor comes round, or at your destination/interchange point providing there is time between connections).

ian13

If the ticket is unavailable at your origin you can pay at the first opportunity (on board if a conductor comes round, or at your destination/interchange point providing there is time between connections).

Actually, don't you have to buy a ticket, and then surrender and pay the difference?

NRCoC 3. said:
If you cannot buy an appropriate ticket for the journey you want to make because
the range of tickets that is available at the station from which you intend to start
your journey is restricted, you must buy a ticket or Permit to Travel before you travel
that entitles you to make at least part of the journey. Then you must, as soon as is
reasonably practicable, buy an appropriate ticket to complete your journey. In these
circumstances, you only need to pay the fare that you would have paid if you had
bought a ticket immediately before your journey. The price you will have to pay will
be reduced by the amount paid for the ticket or Permit to Travel.

dan_atki

Established Member
Actually, don't you have to buy a ticket, and then surrender and pay the difference?

Good luck finding Permit to Travel machines nowadays (in the south anyways)!

There did indeed used to be some sort of 'rule' that said 'you should purchase a ticket to allow you to make part of the journey then change it for the correct ticket at the first opportunity'. I can't remember where I read this but am sure it was not the Conditions of Carriage.

In the case of a priv at an unmanned station and buying a discounted ticket which is not available from a machine then I believe a matter of principle that I should not be left out of pocket by buying a more expensive, full priced ticket (even if it is to the next station). After all, a refund for the difference (no matter how small) will take a while to be processed.

In such instances I never had a problem buying on board and, indeed, SWTs station posters include a 'Buying tickets' section which clearly states 'If the ticket office is closed and you cannot buy the ticket you require from the machine then you should purchase it from the guard on board the train.' or similar wording.

There are also still a few stations on SWT that do rely on Permit to Travel operations - Millbrook is one and, although I haven't read the same poster there, I believe it would say 'Please insert coins upto the cost of the ticket into the Permit to Travel machine and exchange it for a ticket on board the train' or similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.