• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Discretion with Excesses

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Mod Note - Split from this thread.]

Lexy-boy - the only reason TOC-specific tickets cannot be excessed is because the 'Manual' does not allow it. You can draw your own conclusions as to what my views are on the whole subject of TOC-specific tickets.

What about the discretion of the individual TOC?
How about say, excessing a Day Return to an Open Return after the validity of the Day Return has passed? I know what the Manual and the NCROC say....

I would be interested to hear your views, PM if neccessary :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
What about the discretion of the individual TOC?
How about say, excessing a Day Return to an Open Return after the validity of the Day Return has passed? I know what the Manual and the NCROC say....

I would be interested to hear your views, PM if neccessary :)

When I was in the ticket office/revenue protection, I would refuse to do that. It's clearly not allowed, so what would you say when it gets noticed in the audit? If the passenger requests it on the day of validity, before using the return portion, then fair enough.

Bear in mind that passengers can request such excesses in order to circumvent time restrictions.

I.e, buy an SDR, use the outward portion in the morning peak then get the return portion excessed to an SVR. Same overall cost as an SVR, only more validity for the outward portion.

When I was in the ticket office/revenue protection, I would refuse to do that. It's clearly not allowed, so what would you say when it gets noticed in the audit? If the passenger requests it on the day of validity, before using the return portion, then fair enough.

Bear in mind that passengers can request such excesses in order to circumvent time restrictions.

I.e, buy an SDR, use the outward portion in the morning peak then get the return portion excessed to an SVR. Same overall cost as an SVR, only more validity for the outward portion.

A refusal to obey the instructions of a team leader/supervisor or manager may lead to disciplinary proceedings being taken.

Time of original purchase is taken into consideration, no Anytime to Off Peak changes allowed. Anytime Day Return is excessed to Anytime Return etc.

RJ

Established Member
A refusal to obey the instructions of a team leader/supervisor or manager may lead to disciplinary proceedings being taken.

Time of original purchase is taken into consideration, no Anytime to Off Peak changes allowed. Anytime Day Return is excessed to Anytime Return etc.

Trust me, not everyone has the loophole frame of mind :p. Many clerks wouldn't think to check.

When my team leader asked me to do something that was not allowed, without fail I got them to sign it off in writing. A simple "they told me to" won't suffice in a disciplinary :)

richw

Veteran Member
When my team leader asked me to do something that was not allowed, without fail I got them to sign it off in writing. A simple "they told me to" won't suffice in a disciplinary :)

Especially as probably a majority will cover themselves and deny knowledge of that verbal instruction if a disciplinary arises

Status
Not open for further replies.