Discretion

Discussion in 'Disputes & Prosecutions' started by johnnychips, 8 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnychips

johnnychips Established Member

I have done the usual Google search and can't really find a suitable thread to add to, so I'll open one.

There's a post on the 'Disputes' thread starting 'Penalty fare issued 15 seconds...' that for some reason I can't link to, that brought this up.

I just wondered that if guards showed discretion by not issuing penalty fares, or by not charging the standard fare that they should, because they realised that a passenger has genuinely made a mistake, or was in a rush and didn't have time to go to the ticket office or machine, this raises some issues:

- are guards actually allowed to show discretion, or should they issue the PF or full fare in all circumstances?

- if a guard does show discretion for a genuine mistake, does it give an impression to other passengers who observe it that it is, in fact, normal practice?

- does commission play a part?

- should there be a nationwide policy so staff and customers know where they stand?

Interested in your opinions.

Last edited: 8 May 2015
  2. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

3. mbreckers

mbreckers Member

4. johnnychips

johnnychips Established Member

Apologies: Google didn't show it, so could a Mod delete this thread if the points I would like to raise will be resurrected in the links available, of course if anyone is interested.

Cheers

John

5. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I can find results using Google, but another method using the forum's own search page is to specify a keyword using 'search titles only' and showing results as 'threads'. This does rely on appropriate titles being used. If there are too many results, then it can be filtered by selecting to search in only the Fares, Ticketing & Routeing section.

I have re-opened Discretion or Inconsistency and copied your post above into it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.