• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Discretionary BoJ at Portsmouth & Southsea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
Coming back next week from the Isle of Wight on Whitelink, and have an onward Advance ticket "Portsmouth & S[outhsea] or Harbour to Newport South Wales" .

Obviously we booked a ferry that built in an hour or so's leeway in case of delays, but if all goes to plan we will have an hour to kill at PMS before our onward GWR connection to NWP.

When I came through PMS on a different (non-ferry related) trip last week I found the barriers open and unmanned. I know I can't rely on that, and am happy to buy a separate ticket for PMH to PMS to allow us to leave the station and get something to eat, but does anyone know whether the PMS gate staff take a lenient view of people wishing to do this, even if on an Advance ticket? It must happen a lot as most people will build in extra time where ferry travel is involved. Don't want to waste the money if we find either the gates open or that the staff would have been okay with letting us through and back in.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is your advance ticket GWR only? If so, surely you can only use GWR from the harbour anyway?

I‘ve never had a problem at the gateline at P&S, but that’s always been on flexible tickets. The only refreshment facilities are outside the gateline, use of them is not a break of journey anyway.

trainophile

Established Member
"On specified trains & connections only"

The only timed reservation is GWR 11:27 PMS - NWP.

I don't think there are any toilets at that station are there? If not I could always say I needed to go and find one outside!

Good question re. the itinerary - I will see if I've still got the email confirmation.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
"On specified trains & connections only"

The only timed reservation is GWR 11:27 PMS - NWP.

I don't think there are any toilets at that station are there? If not I could always say I needed to go and find one outside!

Good question re. the itinerary - I will see if I've still got the email confirmation.
But xx26/27 is the usual departure time from the Harbour Mon-Sat?

my mistake please ignore.

Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
Portsmouth & Southsea to Newport (South Wales) on Thursday, October 22, 2020. 2 adults. 2 x Senior Railcards.

Your journey starts from Portsmouth & Southsea at 11:27, but please arrive in plenty of time.
Portsmouth & Southsea station has these opening times and facilities.
You must bring your 2 x Senior Railcards with you. Failure to do so will mean your tickets are invalid.

Board the 11:27 Great Western Railway service to Cardiff Central. details
Ticket used: Portsmouth & Southsea or Harbour to Newport (South Wales) . You have reserved a place on this service, but individual seat reservations are not possible.
You'll arrive at Newport (South Wales) at 14:32. Leave the train here.

Your journey ends at Newport (South Wales) station. facilities.

So the journey I have paid for is only from PMS, even though the ticket covers an origin of either Portsmouth station. That's confusing.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So the journey I have paid for is only from PMS, even though the ticket covers an origin of either Portsmouth station. That's confusing.

There are plenty like that.

So in that case you probably[1] do want a single from Harbour to Southsea. Surprised you didn't buy a through ticket from the Island, it's usually a fair whack cheaper than buying the ferry separately.

[1] Does the ticket specify a route? If it's AP SALISBURY rather than GREAT WESTN ONLY then arguably you can connect from Harbour on a reasonable connection. If it doesn't specify, what's the fare?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
£12.35 (discounted) is routed AP SALISBURY, so I don't see why that wouldn't be valid for the connection from Harbour on any suitable train.

Having said that, an Anytime Day Single with SNR from Harbour to Southsea is £1.85 (there's a Weekend Super Off Peak valid from 1100 onwards for £1.65). For that piddling price, I'd pay it to avoid the risk of any argument myself.

trainophile

Established Member
I didn't book from Ryde as it seemed confusing on the Wightlink website when we were not booking a straightforward return, as we're having a night in Portsmouth beforehand but not on our way back. The through ticket prices didn't seem very competitive on one way journeys.

DelW

Established Member
Depending on how laden you are, with an hour to spare you could easily walk from Harbour to P & S - I usually allow about 15 minutes, though Google shows 19 (it's under a mile).
PMH gateline staff have to let you through if you've come off the ferry, as the Wightlink terminal is within the gated area. There's some refreshment options around The Hard (near PMH) as well as at P & S.

trainophile

Established Member
It doesn't say via Salisbury on the ticket? You're looking at something that most ordinary punters wouldn't necessarily have access to, or know about?

Yeah think I'd better chuck the £3.70 in the pot and avoid complications!

Depending on how laden you are, with an hour to spare you could easily walk from Harbour to P & S - I usually allow about 15 minutes, though Google shows 19 (it's under a mile).
PMH gateline staff have to let you through if you've come off the ferry, as the Wightlink terminal is within the gated area. There's some refreshment options around The Hard (near PMH) as well as at P & S.

Hmm, perhaps not - two seniors with three nights' luggage! We were hoping to pop over to the Spoons in PMS, two minutes from the station. However even then there might be a queueing system currently.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It doesn't say via Salisbury on the ticket? You're looking at something that most ordinary punters wouldn't necessarily have access to, or know about?

It doesn't, but the expectation of an ordinary punter with an Advance is to follow their itinerary. Eking out extra bits of obscure validity is an enthusiast's game as the idea is that you specify what you want when you book and are given a price for it. I think this is why the route is no longer displayed on them.

trainophile

Established Member
It doesn't, but the expectation of an ordinary punter with an Advance is to follow their itinerary. Eking out extra bits of obscure validity is an enthusiast's game as the idea is that you specify what you want when you book and are given a price for it. I think this is why the route is no longer displayed on them.

Thank goodness for rail forums uk!

paul1609

Established Member
Coming back next week from the Isle of Wight on Whitelink, and have an onward Advance ticket "Portsmouth & S[outhsea] or Harbour to Newport South Wales" .

Obviously we booked a ferry that built in an hour or so's leeway in case of delays, but if all goes to plan we will have an hour to kill at PMS before our onward GWR connection to NWP.

When I came through PMS on a different (non-ferry related) trip last week I found the barriers open and unmanned. I know I can't rely on that, and am happy to buy a separate ticket for PMH to PMS to allow us to leave the station and get something to eat, but does anyone know whether the PMS gate staff take a lenient view of people wishing to do this, even if on an Advance ticket? It must happen a lot as most people will build in extra time where ferry travel is involved. Don't want to waste the money if we find either the gates open or that the staff would have been okay with letting us through and back in.
Id say if you want to break you journey for something to eat you'd be better off doing it at Portsmouth Harbour anyway. You've got the Gunwharf Quays shopping centre next door or along the hard itself for cafes, fish and chips pubs etc.

trainophile

Established Member
Id say if you want to break you journey for something to eat you'd be better off doing it at Portsmouth Harbour anyway. You've got the Gunwharf Quays shopping centre next door or along the hard itself for cafes, fish and chips pubs etc.

Yeah, I was actually there last week on a day trip from Southampton. Not too keen on Gunwharf Quays, and the ridiculous one way system just to get in there, but we'll see how things work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.