• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dismantling a model railway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Right then. This might be a bit of a read, so if you don’t like silliness, fantasy, reminiscing, model railways, looking at pictures of the above, or graffiti. Look away now...

Still here?
Great!

Part 1.

As a follow on to this thread then:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/getting-started-in-railway-modelling.178767/

I thought I’d post the opposite...
Actually this isn’t the end of railway modelling for me. It’s basically a change of gauge (from 00 to N), and the final dismantling of my old loft layout which has lain mothballed in my old house which has been rented out for the last eight years...
I’ve started on the next one, but I’d like to acknowledge my last layout (slightly embarrassingly called ‘Ladderton’), and have a bit of a chuckle as it finally meets its end.
Taking it apart (there was no way it could’ve been removed without absolute destruction) made me think of all the great times I’d had with it, and here are a few of those times here:

1) Running full length trains made up of all the stuff I remember from my youth whilst drinking a glass of wine and watching them chase their tails...
2) Making different things for it of an evening with our young kids, my friends, Mrs C and anyone else that wanted to get involved.
3) Creating an extension which included a scrapyard and a really steep bank that only certain locos could manage with a loaded scrap train. Very enjoyable.
4) Turning the loft into our bedroom and lying in bed reading while the class 108 DMU trundled around our bed with all the lights on in the buildings and on the platforms.
5) Getting a photo of it into the Readers Railways section of Model Rail magazine (can’t find it at the moment but it’s around somewhere).
6) When Mrs C came around to stay for the first time about 11 years ago and she had absolutely no idea that I liked railways even though we’d been friends for a good few years...
I told her that I needed to show her something in the loft, and she said “Oh god, it’s not some kind of weird latex/rubber bondage room is it?”
I said “Oh god no. It’s far worse than that...”
7) The time I had 50007 ‘Sir Edward Elgar’ pulling seven very expensive Hornby Pullman coaches around with lights in, and didn’t notice that the rear six had become uncoupled before absolute disaster struck with the 50 ploughing into the rear of the train on the unfinished viaduct and the entire lot plummeting not only off the viaduct, but through the loft hatch and onto the floor below.
That still makes me wince ten years later...
8) Realising that I’d finally got the chance, room and finances to make the thing that I’d always wanted to make and had planned in my mind for years.
Yes it wasn’t perfect, but I absolutely loved it! ;)

Part 2.

Ok. This is where the silliness and fantasy comes in...
Let’s just imagine that it was a real place for a moment?
(Yes I know that it wasn’t)

Here then, is the sad story of Ladderton...

Based somewhere on an alternative reality Exmouth/Paignton type place, which once received holiday trains aplenty, it’d become a shadow of its former self by the time it was eventually closed, and the only things to be seen in the former busy station was an infrequent DMU service train, and the odd train of stabled ballast wagons bound for Meldon as seen in this shot:

042C8474-3782-476D-9E22-EFC49C27F8DD.jpeg

Here’s a few more shots from the area back then...
7E88D956-6F31-48AF-BC0B-964223AB89E3.jpeg D1B25233-6488-4987-BA3F-4DE77FB722D0.jpeg
6D28B149-A790-485B-A394-4599EDEBD9E9.jpeg

A few years later things got more serious, and one day the rail removal train turned up behind an 08...
The down line was the first to go as seen here (not my photos).

D6DD9827-AFB3-4B34-B77D-C8E4AB3986BF.jpeg 0EB09DC9-15CA-41A5-B836-E6F0ACE1EE70.jpeg

@J-Rod will be pleased to note that they do have their own toilet...

1A06EA0A-0512-4EBA-A64E-91149485481D.jpeg

Once the down line had been removed they’d soon started on the up...
D4EAC869-B217-422E-8938-632CA470F8D1.jpeg

And that was the end of that.

I had a quick look over the fence last week and the only motive power left to be seen was an abandoned Ford Sierra as the trackbed slowly returned to nature...

370CC55C-D175-4773-AAB6-DEB15A9255A1.jpeg

The whole area is soon going to be redeveloped into a shopping centre apparently.

Although there has been talk recently of the whole world being removed and bit by bit being sold to Martians...

Goodnight. :lol:

Attachments

• 5448419D-F5E7-475E-93C5-D3D0D4C63603.jpeg
    5448419D-F5E7-475E-93C5-D3D0D4C63603.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I think if a prospective "significant other" invited me into the loft, I'd probably be a bit apprehensive too.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I did have a chuckle writing that out last night. Took a while though and I’m a little bit tired this morning. :s
I think if a prospective "significant other" invited me into the loft, I'd probably be a bit apprehensive too.
I know. What if she’d just said “This isn’t really for me. Let’s just stay as friends”?
o_O

J-Rod

Yes. Approve of the portaloo. So do the workers, I bet.

I love what you've done there (the abandoned part) as I've recently done a very similar thing (on the right-hand side of the below picture).
IMG_1825.JPG
Basically, I couldn't decide what to do with that part as it had been changed round a few times, though I thought I'd just 'abandon' it and crack on with the hill (which now looks a bit more like a hill than it does there)
IMG_1836.JPG

However, despite changing it all to N, must still be a little bit sad for you to see it all go. What are you doing with all of the redundant stuff? eBay?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I enjoyed reading and looking at the photos. What are you going to do with all the "redundant assets"?
Yes. Approve of the portaloo. So do the workers, I bet.

I love what you've done there (the abandoned part) as I've recently done a very similar thing (on the right-hand side of the below picture).
View attachment 64967
Basically, I couldn't decide what to do with that part as it had been changed round a few times, though I thought I'd just 'abandon' it and crack on with the hill (which now looks a bit more like a hill than it does there)
View attachment 64968

However, despite changing it all to N, must still be a little bit sad for you to see it all go. What are you doing with all of the redundant stuff? eBay?
Thanks guys.
- J-Rod, that’s coming along nicely.
Well the redundant assets have all been shifted via eBay over the last year or so, with the last few bits going this week.
I’ve been pleasantly surprised at the money I’ve managed to raise, and it’s all being put back into new N gauge stock and track for the next project...

I’ve still got my sons 00 gauge layout to sell which having sorted it out looks quite good now.
3DC19AA6-6513-48E3-9ACC-127F3DAD63C6.jpeg 111E5FBE-D1B8-4F12-AD90-46DE37A0E7AA.jpeg

I’m hoping to sell it as a complete layout that’ll fit on the bottom bunk of a bunk bed and split the money with him.
I’ve no idea what it’s worth though.

Just as a footnote I’m kicking myself that I didn’t use an old coach and 04 that I’ve got and make a version of a bunch of ‘Dreamer’ enthusiasts getting a preservation scheme off the ground...

It’s unfortunately a bit late now as you can see.
EA2E2C09-A8E5-45E8-9C09-BC8A646BF655.jpeg

J-Rod

So how big is the new N layout going to be (total length)? If it's going to fit into a similar loft-space, it'll stretch for miles (in scale!!)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So how big is the new N layout going to be (total length)? If it's going to fit into a similar loft-space, it'll stretch for miles (in scale!!)
The house that it was in is the house I lived in when I first got together with my other half nearly eleven years ago now.
When we started living together (at Cowley where she already lived) I rented my old house out and the railway remained in the loft, although we did still have my sons railway to tinker with if I ever got really desperate (sorry, this thread seems to have turned into my life story).
I have now purchased this mighty shed which is in our garden!
2BE910C1-561A-431A-965B-62F5E987901F.jpeg

It’s 14’ long and 6’ wide.
And I’m going to be making a section of the Barnstaple branch hence me boring everyone with this thread:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/lapford-station-yard.178017/

I’m probably only going to have scenery on one side, and then have a long but narrow fiddle yard opposite.
Still planning it all at the moment but I’ve started making some buildings.
You can never have enough room J-Rod! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.