• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dispatching trains in the snow

Status
Not open for further replies.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I was changing trains at London Bridge this morning - and watching the train dispatchers on the platform, and it crossed my mind that it must be an awful job to have to do in this weather. I assume it involves standing on the platform for hours on end, without any significant physical activity involved that might keep you warm. Today, even wearing very thick gloves, my fingers were starting to feel like they were about to freeze off after 20 minutes or so outside.

I imagine the people who dispatch the trains deserve a lot of respect (more than they do get) (obviously, alongside all the other people who work outside in this weather). Can't help wondering how they cope with the cold for so long.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theironroad

Established Member
I know one station where platform staff are supplied with hand gel warmers which go under the gloves and can last for hours.

But total respect for all platform staff out working in the cold and wind.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Im not a train dispatcher but I work outside it was really bad on Thursday and Friday during the snow but not so bad on the Wednesday. I would guess one way of mitigating against the snow would be to go inside for a few minutes and come out just before the train arrives or rotating dispatch duties with other station staff

Status
Not open for further replies.