• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disputed Delay Compensation Claim - Length of journey on GWR Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Badger

I have a disputed claim with GWR.

Journey details as follows:

The scheduled journey was to depart Lewes 16.24, changing at Gatwick and Redhill arriving at Farnborough North at 18.43. In reality the journey to Redhill was fine but the GWR service from there was delayed and I didn't arrive in Farnborough North until 19.17; a delay of 34 minutes. I submitted a claim but it has been rejected.

The GWR compensation rules say the following:

Former First Great Western Link services
We’ll compensate you for 50% of the cost of your tickets if you're delayed by:

• 30 minutes on a rail journey of less than an hour
  • 1 hour on a rail journey of over an hour

I would contend that my journey on GWR was scheduled to be 58 minutes (scheduled departure from Redhill 17.45) so should be eligible. However, i guess one interpretation of the above would be the time of the total journey from Lewes, which was more than an hour.

Any thoughts on whether this is worth pursuing would be appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gray1404

Established Member
I'd say it could be read either way as it doesn't expressly say rail journey overall including other TOCs or GWR leg of the journey.

I'd ask them to look at the decision again explaining why you think they are wrong.

The sooner GWR and Merseyrail join delay repay the better and we can see an end to this 2 tier scheme.

Haywain

Veteran Member
The problem you have is not the length of delay, but the fact that GWR do not operate Delay Repay. Your journey was from Lewes, so is a journey of more than an hour but the scheme that GWR operate means they do not pay out for all delays, only those within the control of the rail industry (or words to that effect).

What is the basis of the claim being rejected?

SussexMan

I can't see that you have a valid claim. Your tickets will indicate the journey you made and that was from Lewes. Your journey was scheduled to be more than one hour and therefore, to be eligible for compensation you need to have been delayed for more than one hour. Had you split your tickets....

Bill Badger

What is the basis of the claim being rejected?

It was on the basis that the delay was less than 59 minutes.

In response to other points, so it appears to come down to what GWR define as a journey. I seem to recall reading a thread recently where they were refusing compensation on a longer journey, so don't really see how they can have it both ways.

Thanks for the feedback, guess it's not worth pursuing any further, as it certainly won't be without hassle

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
In response to other points, so it appears to come down to what GWR define as a journey. I seem to recall reading a thread recently where they were refusing compensation on a longer journey, so don't really see how they can have it both ways.

Although GWR operate an inferior delay compensation scheme they do compensate where a combination of tickets is used and this is clearly stated in their Passenger Charter.

Unfortunately you just miss out on compensation this time - some you win, some you lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.