• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disruption at Shipley - Wires down? 25/02/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Some S&C trains caped between Skipton and Leeds. Airedale electrics too, presumably.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/214645.aspx

Due to damage to the overhead electric wires between Leeds and Shipley, no trains are currently able to run between these stations.

We anticipate disruption will continue until 17:00.

Alternative travel advice:

Road transport is currently running between Shipley and Leeds. Northern are currently looking to provide a half hourly service between Shipley and Leeds with 1 bus going direct to Leeds and 1 calling at Apperley Bridge and Kirkstall Forge.

Trains are able to run between Ilkley and Bradford Forster Square, and between Skipton and Shipley. You can use these trains to connect at Shipley with the buses to / from Leeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eric

Does anyone know what is happening with the Bradford, Leeds and Skipton triangle services?

Currently waiting at Bradford Forster Square and nothing is moving.

Eric

Apparently, according to the driver of the train in platform two a train has brought the wires down.

I'm off to the Interchange now.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm guessing fog issues. All trains on the Hallam line are severely disrupted as well at the moment.

I'm on 2V05 0709 ILK to LDS stuck in Kirkstall area. Our driver told us that the overhead lines were down on the track ahead of us.

Yes, I'm on 2V05 stuvk in Kirkstall area and our driver has confirmed that lines are down ahead of us.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Its now looking like the disruption will go into the evening peak:

Due to damage to the overhead electric wires between Leeds and Shipley, no trains are currently able to run between these stations.

We anticipate disruption will continue until 17:00.

Alternative travel advice:

Road transport is currently running between Shipley and Leeds. Northern are currently looking to provide a half hourly service between Shipley and Leeds with 1 bus going direct to Leeds and 1 calling at Apperley Bridge and Kirkstall Forge.

Trains are able to run between Ilkley and Bradford Forster Square, and between Skipton and Shipley. You can use these trains to connect at Shipley with the buses to / from Leeds.

You can also use trains between Bradford Interchange and Leeds, which are not affected by this disruption.

Ticket acceptance is in place with CrossCountry, Virgin Trains and TransPenine Express for customers who are travelling North to Carlisle and Scotland with Northern only or route Appleby tickets.

Eric

Arrived into Leeds from the Interchange and no trains to Skipton or Ilkley, it was absolutely chaos.

Have you managed to move yet?
Still on board! A rescue train came a while ago but the 142 wasn't big enough to take all of us off the 333. Another rescue train is coming, apparently, which will take us back to Shipley instead of on to LDS

thejuggler

Just been caught in this as the driver for Leeds - Man Vic via Bradford service was delayed getting to Leeds.

The driverless unit was blocking another service in the platform bay, so knock on effects all round.

Eric

Someone has posted up a picture of the downed wire:

https://twitter.com/TheGNRP/status/1099965446944624640

I feel sorry for those caught up behind this in the morning peak, I suspect that delays might push on for most of the day so its looking like heading back via Bradford Interchange. It could get cosy later.

I hope Northern put on extra capacity later on today. I don't fancy getting on a crush loaded 150 or 142/144.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I hope Northern put on extra capacity later on today. I don't fancy getting on a crush loaded 150 or 142/144.

I'm not sure there will extra units to work the Calder's for this, so it will either be crush loading to Bradford, or the RRBs. I past one bus with a long queue at the station entrance so opted to go via the Interchange.

xotGD

Established Member
While I made it as far as just past Kirkstall Forge and then back to Bingley, my wife did make it to Leeds this morning via Bradford (yellow-penning Shipley to FS if she did such things!). Deciding an early get-away was a good idea, she's made it home using the replacement bus to Shipley.

I imagine it will be getting a bit chaotic in Leeds for the rest of the afternoon.

Eric

I'm not sure there will extra units to work the Calder's for this, so it will either be crush loading to Bradford, or the RRBs. I past one bus with a long queue at the station entrance so opted to go via the Interchange.

Just left Leeds on a 158(3)+153 so four carriages. Standing only at the ends but room for those getting on at New Pudsey.

Loads of RRB outside in the car park. I hope they have ordered enough for the evening peak.

Are the diesels running to Settle/Lancaster?

Bantamzen

Established Member
Just left Leeds on a 158(3)+153 so four carriages. Standing only at the ends but room for those getting on at New Pudsey.

Loads of RRB outside in the car park. I hope they have ordered enough for the evening peak.

Are the diesels running to Settle/Lancaster?

Yes, there are quite a few RRBs at Shipley now too. I'm not sure about the DMU services, though what would be the 16:20 from Carlisle to Leeds through Shipley was cancelled throughout so I'm guessing the return will be cancelled too.

Ken H

On Moderation
National Rail now saying (@19:29):-
Damage to the overhead electric wires between Leeds and Shipley earlier today, is causing disruption to trains through Shipley.

Repair work has been completed and trains are once again able to run between Leeds and Shipley. Trains on all routes through Shipley may be cancelled or delayed by up to 40 minutes while services return to normal.

Disruption is expected to continue until approximately 21:00

Last edited:

Ianigsy

A friend was on the train which was delayed for 5 hours or so and found himself getting off at Forster Square at about 1pm having boarded at Menston at 7.30 or thereabouts and then took a service bus to Leeds.

A colleague who travels in from Guiseley was on another train which tipped everybody out at Kirkstall Forge and made it in for about 10.30.

My usual 1703 Ilkley was cancelled so I came home via the 1659 Knaresborough and a bus from Horsforth- there was only one 333 on the blocks at Leeds (usually at least two 321/2s for peak extras) which won't have helped recovering the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.