• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disruption on South West Trains [01-02/08]

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
There have been some big signalling issues last night and today. Particularly affecting the Portsmouth Direct line.

South West Trains said from 7.30 buses would run between Guildford and either Haslemere and Havant. I forgot which one.

That no doubt helped passengers from Guildford heading south.

However at one stage there was a 2 hour gap between services from Guildford to Woking. The 8.46 left at 8.47 and the next train was the 8.54 at 10.41. Everything in between either delayed or cancelled from Guildford. The 8.54 was diverted to Woking and terminated short.

The next train after that was the 10.34, which departed 11.36. Then there was an additional 11.40,whidh left 2 minutes late and the 11.47 which was on time. No doubt the additional service was added because they didn't know if either of the other two services might run.

Then the next train wasn't until 13.02 when they ran services one an hour until. 16.00, which the exception of one additional Woking stopper sent from Guildford at 14.30.

Could have done with Woking stopper extensions in the morning but of course there may not have been the staff available to run them

Could there ever be a possibility of replacement buses running to Woking? May be as an extension of the ones towards Haslemere.

At 11.45 they closed the lines south of Haslemere until mid afternoon, hence why the problem existed for so long.

On a separate note. The problems occurred due to a power supper issues with National Grid.

The issue caused the signalling to fail. Are signals and everything related to it surge protected and if not could they be? I don't work as a signaller so I have no idea what I'm talking about here.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Local media in the Woking/Guildford area are suggesting that power was lost for a time in many neighborhoods. However I can report that domestic power was lost for a short time out as far as Liss and rural areas around. Not only did this impact on signaling between Guildford and Haslemere it appeared to impact on the level crossings at Liss Forest, Liss and Princes Bridge - I have no information WRT Sheet, Kingsfersden, or Petesfield.
It does seem (to a complete novice) at best unfortunate that such an occurrence at approx. 21:30 was still causing issues more than 18 hours later. Before everyone jumps on my back I really do sympathise with SWT operating staff who were just as inconvenienced as the passengers and had to deal with the unsympathetic travelers. Someone on this forum might be able to explain the problems the Power Surge (or dip as reported elsewhere) caused and enlighten us on why it impacted so severely, especially on the Portsmouth Direct.

pompeyfan

Established Member
It really wasn't a good 24 hours for SWT as the main up line between Shawford and Winchester was blocked for the best part of an hour, I believe the signals at Allbrook junction were stuck in position for the slow.

In regards to the PDL it was explained to me (so there's room for error) that the surge forced the level crossings batteries to trip along most of the route and after 4 hours the batteries died completely. NR sourced generators but the trucks delivering the generators got caught in the traffic as did the rail replacement buses. I was also told that temporary block working (or SWTs slightly more efficient version) was introduced.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
South West Trains Twitter Stagg believed, when signing off Monday night, that the issue had been fixed and everything would be fine next morning. Trains were even running next morning. The issues started with the announcement of 20 minute delays. Then up to 30 minutes, Then 40 minutes. Then 60 minutes. Then 120. Back to 60 minutes and then I think they removed it because the problem had been dealt with.

It seemed every time they extended the advertised delay, the delay simply got worse than the new advertised time! Just unfortunate for them.

Needless to say some passengers were not happy on Twitter.

embers25

Established Member
There have been some big signalling issues last night and today. Particularly affecting the Portsmouth Direct line.

South West Trains said from 7.30 buses would run between Guildford and either Haslemere and Havant. I forgot which one.

That no doubt helped passengers from Guildford heading south.

However at one stage there was a 2 hour gap between services from Guildford to Woking. The 8.46 left at 8.47 and the next train was the 8.54 at 10.41. Everything in between either delayed or cancelled from Guildford. The 8.54 was diverted to Woking and terminated short.

The next train after that was the 10.34, which departed 11.36. Then there was an additional 11.40,whidh left 2 minutes late and the 11.47 which was on time. No doubt the additional service was added because they didn't know if either of the other two services might run.

Then the next train wasn't until 13.02 when they ran services one an hour until. 16.00, which the exception of one additional Woking stopper sent from Guildford at 14.30.

Could have done with Woking stopper extensions in the morning but of course there may not have been the staff available to run them

Could there ever be a possibility of replacement buses running to Woking? May be as an extension of the ones towards Haslemere.

At 11.45 they closed the lines south of Haslemere until mid afternoon, hence why the problem existed for so long.

On a separate note. The problems occurred due to a power supper issues with National Grid.

The issue caused the signalling to fail. Are signals and everything related to it surge protected and if not could they be? I don't work as a signaller so I have no idea what I'm talking about here.

Someone from my office left on the 0713 from Pompey to Waterloo and was kicked off at Haslemere as they were told the train would run fast from there to Waterloo although it looks like it may have stopped at Guildford. That train passed Woking at 1020 but she finally arrived in Woking at 1050 on that diverted 1040 one. I'm sorry but when a train is 2 hours late the extra 3 minutes stopping at Woking really doesn't make much difference to that train but delaying everyone 30 minutes longer does. What i didn't understand was SWT continuing to run fast and slows non-stop from Fratton/Hilsea one behind each other. Why not just join them and run the together to save paths. Also the total lack of local Guildford to Woking service all day was ridiculous. SWT on twitter said there were local buses so it wasn't an issue but did they get ticket acceptance on them....NO!

dgl

Established Member
Did a trip up to Crewkerne on Monday night catching a train from Weymouth to Yeovil Pen Mill, train to Yeovil Junction and then another train onto Crewkerne.
Saw on the GWR app that there were issues on SWT but it had all been resolved, I thought fine. Got to YVP alright and the next train was showing up as the 21:30 to YVJ and on time so again thought fine.
21:30 passed and no sign of train, waited 10 Mins still no train and by this time the train had disappeared from the electronic display and the SWT website was showing no problems.
Just in the process of calling SWT when I saw lights in the distance and duly te train finally arrived.

Would have been great to know that the train was delayed rather than it saying it was on time and the details then just disappearing as getting back from YVP that late at night would have meant a taxi and the faff of getting one from SWT or having to get a refund.

Thankfully in the end the service from Waterloo was also delayed (as it is a quick connection) and so I did not have the pleasure of waiting at YVJ for an hour but more information would have been very handy.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Someone from my office left on the 0713 from Pompey to Waterloo and was kicked off at Haslemere as they were told the train would run fast from there to Waterloo although it looks like it may have stopped at Guildford. That train passed Woking at 1020 but she finally arrived in Woking at 1050 on that diverted 1040 one. I'm sorry but when a train is 2 hours late the extra 3 minutes stopping at Woking really doesn't make much difference to that train but delaying everyone 30 minutes longer does. What i didn't understand was SWT continuing to run fast and slows non-stop from Fratton/Hilsea one behind each other. Why not just join them and run the together to save paths. Also the total lack of local Guildford to Woking service all day was ridiculous. SWT on twitter said there were local buses so it wasn't an issue but did they get ticket acceptance on them....NO!
There are local buses to Godalming.

I assume the trains were 8 or 12 carriages so joining them would be impossible.

Thwy really do need to advise passengers on how to get to Woking though. It's not the first Tim that stretch of line has been ignored.

I thought they had got better at covering that stretch during disruptiont but not so on Tuesday.

Perhaps the alternative of going to Surbiton and down is quicker than a bus but they were not even promoting that one.

Last edited:

embers25

Established Member
There are local buses to Godalming.

I assume the trains were 8 or 12 carriages so joining them would be impossible.

Thwy really do need to advise passengers on how to get to Woking though. It's not the first Tim that stretch of line has been ignored.

I thought they had got better at covering that stretch during disruptiont but not so on Tuesday.

Perhaps the alternative of going to Surbiton and down is quicker than a bus but they were not even promoting that one.

I understand the issues with connecting trains but sticking together 8+4 or 5+5 is doable and given the number of affected services that would at least have given more coaches to play with the other end. The random service they did run was insane and not communicated at all at the stations. I also don't understand why they never run diverted trains via Havant as it was fine when southern were running a normal service but now they aren't without SWT there are virtually no trains and given the diverted trains weren't stopping at Cosham or even Fareham I believe the Southern trains to Soton would have been useless.

There are local buses on the whole route except Liss to Liphook which requires going via Alton and most are Stagecoach but was there ticket acceptance on any of them except the 700 and 23, no. They at least normally allow the 37 but not this time. I was heading that way but gave up at Woking and returned home as there was no idea at Woking what was going on and the randomness of the delays made my onward journey from Woking impossible.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I understand the issues with connecting trains but sticking together 8+4 or 5+5 is doable and given the number of affected services that would at least have given more coaches to play with the other end. The random service they did run was insane and not communicated at all at the stations. I also don't understand why they never run diverted trains via Havant as it was fine when southern were running a normal service but now they aren't without SWT there are virtually no trains and given the diverted trains weren't stopping at Cosham or even Fareham I believe the Southern trains to Soton would have been useless.

There are local buses on the whole route except Liss to Liphook which requires going via Alton and most are Stagecoach but was there ticket acceptance on any of them except the 700 and 23, no. They at least normally allow the 37 but not this time. I was heading that way but gave up at Woking and returned home as there was no idea at Woking what was going on and the randomness of the delays made my onward journey from Woking impossible.
You should have gone up to Surbiton and then down to Guildford. At that point you might vet a train or bus south. There were buses between Haslemere and Havant I believe but nothing else.

Not sure how long it would have taken to travel via Surbiton. I assume you'd be allowed to do that during disruption but of course can't assume that.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Hopefully the issues caused by the signalling have been resolved, although I bet some SWT members of staff were a bit happier it happened on the branch line rather than the signalling around say Wimbledon or Surbiton giving up the ghost.

At least at Guildford passengers wanting London had the option of the stopper via the New Guildford Lines.

embers25

Established Member
You should have gone up to Surbiton and then down to Guildford. At that point you might vet a train or bus south. There were buses between Haslemere and Havant I believe but nothing else.

Nit sure how long it would have taken to travel via Surbiton. I assume you'd be allowed to do that during disruption but of course can't assume that.

If it had been me I'd have gone to Waterloo and come back as whenever there is disruption on the Pompey Direct its always best to stay on the first train and get off at the first station it stops at after Farncombe and so if thats Waterloo so be it as at Haslemere you are still trapped in the abyss. Guildford to Woking I just go via Ash Vale/North Camp or the two Farnboroughs or Aldershot.

infobleep

Veteran Member
If it had been me I'd have gone to Waterloo and come back as whenever there is disruption on the Pompey Direct its always best to stay on the first train and get off at the first station it stops at after Farncombe and so if thats Waterloo so be it as at Haslemere you are still trapped in the abyss. Guildford to Woking I just go via Ash Vale/North Camp or the two Farnboroughs or Aldershot.
I forgot about Aldershot but that wasn't mentioned as an alternative route for South West Trains passengers trying to get to Woking. It seems as if they were not interested in passengers wishing to get to Woking if their communication is anything to go by. I'm talking solely about Woking and not anywhere else. The communication about how to get between Portsmouth and Waterloo was very good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.