• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disruptive Passengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernchris

Established Member
How disruptive do passengers have to be to warrant delaying a service for them to be removed? Was on a train earlier this week where this happened, and having witnessed the altercation was very surprised this course of action was chosen

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Groningen

Established Member
Depends whether a delay messes up other trains(routes).With only 1 train an hour in rural landscape they will wait for the removalparty. But around London with heavy traffic one can maybe wait upon arrival there.

Flamingo

Established Member
It depends on a lot of factors, not least on how disruptive I think they are going to become after we have left the station and I'm on my own, locked with them inside a vehicle going at 125 mph, in the middle of nowhere, with only a whistle for protection.

Delay minutes are not something I worry about. Mine and my passengers safety are my problem. Delay minutes are my managers problem.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Shame you can't just throw them off when in a tunnel, after all the lights go out.. like in the movies!

northernchris

Established Member
It depends on a lot of factors, not least on how disruptive I think they are going to become after we have left the station and I'm on my own, locked with them inside a vehicle going at 125 mph, in the middle of nowhere, with only a whistle for protection.

Delay minutes are not something I worry about. Mine and my passengers safety are my problem. Delay minutes are my managers problem.

The train I was on the conductor had already confiscated the passengers ticket and receipt and he was getting off at the next stop which was 4 minutes away from where the train was held. There was no shouting or swearing although he did refuse to purchase a new ticket. Ironically though after this the conductor refused to sell a ticket to a passenger as she asked for the conductors name as she was a little on the rude side

Flamingo

Established Member
The train I was on the conductor had already confiscated the passengers ticket and receipt and he was getting off at the next stop which was 4 minutes away from where the train was held. There was no shouting or swearing although he did refuse to purchase a new ticket. Ironically though after this the conductor refused to sell a ticket to a passenger as she asked for the conductors name as she was a little on the rude side

All I can say is that the situation as you describe it, I probably would have taken the train out.

Camden

Established Member
If there was zero tolerance of misbehaviour and it dealt with strongly, I think we'd all find that very little of it then went on.

ComUtoR

Established Member
If there was zero tolerance of misbehaviour and it dealt with strongly, I think we'd all find that very little of it then went on.

How do you police it ? Passengers can, and will, do whatever they want.

anme

Established Member

I disagree, and practically, how would you enforce "zero tolerance"?

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
First of all, you'd need a strict definition of what "misbehaviour" is. Which is really, really subjective.

SPADTrap

Established Member
I had a situation where a fight broke out on the 4th of 4 coaches late one evening, I got to our first stop out of London where I was informed by a pass driver I needed the police urgently as they had knives. After contacting them my keys came out and I waited for police assistance despite numerous and increasingly frustrated requests from both passengers and my control to move them onto the platform so I could leave. That wasn't happening as said above we would soon all be locked in with them and that isn't wise.

al78

Established Member
First of all, you'd need a strict definition of what "misbehaviour" is. Which is really, really subjective.

Not in most cases. Physical and verbal abuse, breach of regulations and violation of the rights of others would comfortably come into the misbehaviour category.

philjo

Established Member
We were informed that there was a disruptive passenger on the train in front of us at City Thameslink one morning last week.
The train I was on was held at Farringdon for about 10 minutes until police had removed the person from the train at City. (it was still morning peak so a number of trains were stacking up by the time I got to Blackfriars.

Status
Not open for further replies.