• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Distribution of Northern EMUs after the arrival of the WMR 323s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I wouldn't promote Burnage being closed but I can see where Jamesrob673 was coming from.

There is a walkway next to the line for a significant way between Burnage and Mauldeth Road and similarly between Burnage and East Didsbury. If a cover was provided and the walkway could be extended then this may make things more attractive. However that's a bit speculative.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 170101

Established Member
If you put a Class 323 on a Class 319 service surely that is a capacity reduction from 4 to 3 carriages with the consequential loss in seats (and standing space)?

Wasn't it suggested that 6 car 323s could operate between Manchester and Liverpool via the Newton Le Willows but not 8 car Class 319s?

py_megapixel

Established Member
If you put a Class 323 on a Class 319 service surely that is a capacity reduction from 4 to 3 carriages with the consequential loss in seats (and standing space)?
Technically yes, but it's not quite as big of a capacity reduction as you might think. You see, 319 carriages are 20m long or 80m total, but 323 carriages are 23m long or 69m total.

Comparing seats it's also pretty close, with about 300 seats in a 319 depending on exact configuration while the 323s have 284 seats.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Where has this suggestion of double 323 running come from?

Is it not simply seventeen more 323s replacing the remaining fifteen 319s. The modest gain in units may not yield many more double diagrams.
No, currently three of the remaining 319s are covering for the three 323s that are away at Wolverton for PRM mods. So the true comparison is that the 17 ex-WMT 323s will replace no more than twelve 319s - and the elimination of the 319 fleet will reduce the total number of spare units needed.

It is difficult to see how all the 323s can be gainfully employed unless they are retrofitted with SDO to enable operation in 6-car formations at short platforms.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor

Wasn't it suggested that 6 car 323s could operate between Manchester and Liverpool via the Newton Le Willows but not 8 car Class 319s?
It makes hardly any difference in terms of both seated and crush loaded capacity. There are few 23m vehicles fitted with 3+2 seating, and bizarrely the ones in the 323's are actually quite spacious.

Oddly, 323's seem to suffer much less variable performance when at a crush load as well.

Halish Railway

Established Member
It makes hardly any difference in terms of both seated and crush loaded capacity. There are few 23m vehicles fitted with 3+2 seating, and bizarrely the ones in the 323's are actually quite spacious.

Oddly, 323's seem to suffer much less variable performance when at a crush load as well.
One of the big differences however is the reduction in the number of doors and subsequently standing room. Realistically, in this day and age we shouldn’t be talking about a three car train (or even a two car train when there’s a shortage) rolling up on any of the electric services out of Lime Street.

It’s a shame that whilst the Lime Street to Warrington Bank Quay and Crewe services are being talked about as going to six car operation when even an off peak Lime Street to Wigan service can justify a six car train, yet few people seem to be talking about the latter.

agbrs_Jack

Short extensions would be required at Congleton (down side, towards Manchester)

323 carriages are 23m long or 69m total.

Surely no extension required at Congleton given that the platforms are 151m and 171m long.
With a 323 being ~70m let’s say a double would need 145m, is 151m not enough??

And anyway forget doubles, a decent service of anything on a Sunday would be appreciated...

prod_pep

Established Member
From years of my own observations, I have to say the Liverpool to Wigan services don't justify six cars at peak times, let alone off-peak. It's also worth saying that before electrification, most services on this route were two car DMUs even in the peaks. Off-peak six cars on this limb of the network would be remarkably wasteful. I have to say there appears to be some exaggeration in these Northern-related threads over loadings.

Personally, I think a 3 car 323 is ideal for the Liverpool to Wigan route. The number of seats is marginally lower but the compensation is a train leagues ahead of a 319 in all departments, especially reliability where it really counts. I for one can't wait until the 319s are gone from Northern metals.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Short extensions would be required at Prestbury and Congleton (down side, towards Manchester) and also Longport (if deemed financially worth it).

The most likely option at Stoke would be to terminate in platform 1, run into the sidings beyond the station and run back out from either platform 1 or 2 depending on pathing which could all be done on existing infrastructure. This couldn't be done until there is a major WCML timetable recast, although could be an option for some peak services.

Extending the current platform 3 would be very expensive as the cross over from the up line would also have to be moved to allow access to it from the up line as it's currently too close, because of existing infrastructure and the fact it couldn't be put on either the road or canal bridge just North of the station for structural reasons, it would have to be moved North to around Sheldon New Rd. This in turn would require a lot of new signalling and make the down line a lot less efficient.

Another expensive, but much less expensive option would be to realign platform 3 so the buffers are in the car park just before the existing exit. This would also require the points to access the platform to be moved North about 20m but would not require the crossover to be moved.

One other obstacle is the platform sighting at Cheadle Hulme platform 3 towards Manchester as it would not be possible to safely dispatch 6 cars. If the guard is in the middle of the train they could only see 2 carriages either way maximum due to curvature. There would need to be a camera system or dispatcher.

As it stands you can run 6 car 323s from Manchester to Stoke but not Stoke to Manchester (not all stops anyway).
Surely a simpler solution rather than platform extensions will simply be a reshuffle of rolling stock?

I believe there are enough 3-car 331s (with asdo) to simply say that anything which would suit 6 cars should be 2×331. Anything which only needs 3 cars is 1×323.

No need to faff around with SDO fitment or platform extensions, and also the bonus that the same route should usually get the same rolling stock, which commuters like because they know what to expect in terms of layout onboard.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Surely a simpler solution rather than platform extensions will simply be a reshuffle of rolling stock?

I believe there are enough 3-car 331s (with asdo) to simply say that anything which would suit 6 cars should be 2×331. Anything which only needs 3 cars is 1×323.

No need to faff around with SDO fitment or platform extensions, and also the bonus that the same route should usually get the same rolling stock, which commuters like because they know what to expect in terms of layout onboard.
Assuming a daily turnout of 28x331/0s from the fleet of 31, all operating in 6-car formations, that is 14 diagrams. Assuming a daily turnout of 31x323s from the fleet of 34, all operating singly, that is 31 more diagrams. So a total of 14+31=45 diagrams. But Northern surely does not need as many as 45 EMU diagrams to work the electrified routes out of Manchester and Liverpool. Therefore the intention must be to operate some of the 323s in multiple, as well as the 331/0s. That will require SDO fitment to at least some of the 323s.

Chris125

Established Member
If they still plan to operate 6-car EMUs into both Manchester and Leeds in due course then the extra 323s make much more sense, as they could help backfill the loss of 3-car 331s eastwards.

AMD

The plan is that some of the 3 car 331s will head east next year, and the 4 car variant will return west - Liverpool to Wigan and Blackpool services are still the plan for the 331/1s

Halish Railway

Established Member
If they still plan to operate 6-car EMUs into both Manchester and Leeds in due course then the extra 323s make much more sense, as they could help backfill the loss of 3-car 331s eastwards.
6-car 331s can only be operated out of Leeds once the platform 0 works are complete which will free up the required platform space.

Gaz55

If the 4 car 331s are all going west, what will replace them on the Donny to Leeds hourly. I can't how see a 3 car 331 having enough capacity for the route, especially as some stations can't accept a 6 car train.

py_megapixel

Established Member
If the 4 car 331s are all going west, what will replace them on the Donny to Leeds hourly. I can't how see a 3 car 331 having enough capacity for the route, especially as some stations can't accept a 6 car train.
Not sure... I wonder if they might put some 333s on there?

Greybeard33

Established Member
The plan is that some of the 3 car 331s will head east next year, and the 4 car variant will return west - Liverpool to Wigan and Blackpool services are still the plan for the 331/1s
It seems to me that the east/west swap of 331/0s and 331/1s is likely to increase the number of 331 diagrams in the west, since the 4-car units will not operate in multiple. Consequently more of the 323s will need to operate in 6-car formations, if the fleet is to be fully utilised.

Bevan Price

Established Member
One of the big differences however is the reduction in the number of doors and subsequently standing room. Realistically, in this day and age we shouldn’t be talking about a three car train (or even a two car train when there’s a shortage) rolling up on any of the electric services out of Lime Street.

It’s a shame that whilst the Lime Street to Warrington Bank Quay and Crewe services are being talked about as going to six car operation when even an off peak Lime Street to Wigan service can justify a six car train, yet few people seem to be talking about the latter.
Six cars on Lime Street to Warrington BQ, or to Crewe via Manchester will not fit in most of the platforms at intermediate stations. If they cleared weeds from the disused platform ends at Edge Hill, Eccles & Patricroft, they could take 6 coaches; St. Helens Junction might just manage 6 coaches, as might Earlestown for eastbound services. I doubt that most of Broad Green, Roby, Huyton, Whiston, Rainhill, Lea Green or Newton Le Willows can manage much more than 4 coaches. TP passengers travelling from Lime St. to either Lea Green or Newton Le Willows are always told to use the front 3 coaches of their new 5 coach stock.

agbrs_Jack

Frequency of service needs to be taken into account also.

2x 6-coach tph is very good compared to 1x 3-coach tph.

Routes with lower frequency are more likely to need doubling up in the peak periods.

AMD

Bear in mind that the 331s have ASDO so don't need to fit completely on the platform. The fleet swap is more to do with capacity - Liverpool/Wigan/Blackpool route doesn't need 6 car capacity unlike the Leeds NW services, but the infrastructure at Leeds precludes 6 car 331 operation at the moment.

Last edited:

py_megapixel

Established Member
View attachment 80716
Are you sure about that? Photo taken on a midday Saturday Liverpool to Crewe service in November on a three car Class 323. Bare in mind that there were no previous cancellations.
That does look bad. If it's that crowded then one would expect that a 4-car 319 wouldn't be much better.

Personally I think 6-cars would be beneficial, if not absolutely needed, on most if not all Northern commuter services out of Manchester

prod_pep

Established Member
The above overcrowding is shocking but while it does happen on the Liverpool - Crewe services sometimes, I wouldn't call it an everyday thing. One consistently busy service the 323s had operated for a while (pre-corona) was the 17.22(ish) Manchester Piccadilly to Liverpool Lime Street. Even on this service, the 3 car 323 coped pretty well with the loadings. The 323s are excellent 'people eaters' despite having a carriage fewer than a 319.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Pre-Covid overcrowding is now ancient history. The 323s might end up as razorblades before we see scenes like that again!

Thank God. Can't think if I'd rather have a seat but no air-conditioning (319/323/769/150/156) or be squashed in but cool as anything (158/170/195/331/333).

js1000

If you extend East Didsbury and Mauldeth Road there may be a case to close Burnage as they're all so close together.
Won't happen. They're not within walking distance and TfGM would never allow that.

And it disregards the point that the Styal Line should be a high growth line in the years ahead with the new trains and 6-car formations reducing suppressed demand (i.e. those who would use the train if capacity was improved) on those commuter stations.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Thank God. Can't think if I'd rather have a seat but no air-conditioning (319/323/769/150/156) or be squashed in but cool as anything (158/170/195/331/333).
You're about as likely to get working air con on a Northern 158 as you are to win the lottery whilst simultaneously being struck by lightning, being bitten by a shark and becoming president of the Illuminati. So you can enjoy being squashed with lower cooling provision than any other train. :lol:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
You're about as likely to get working air con on a Northern 158 as you are to win the lottery whilst simultaneously being struck by lightning, being bitten by a shark and becoming president of the Illuminati. So you can enjoy being squashed with lower cooling provision than any other train. :lol:

Well promote me Monday because I had working air-con once last summer! Think it was a service via Barnsley. But these aren't connected (ha ha) with the 323s. Looks like SDO will need to be activated at stations along the Styal Line then.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Also of note I believe is route clearance for multiple working (though I don't know if it's relevant on the Northern network): on some stretches trains with multiple pantographs are not permitted because the OHLE is unable to withstand it. This isn't something I'm qualified to discuss in any significant detail but maybe another member can elaborate.

Status
Not open for further replies.