• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

District Line D Stock final withdrawal

Status
Not open for further replies.

D365

Veteran Member
Don't forget that until the enhanced SSL timetable is put into place, there's far more S Stock units to play with than are needed in daily service. Not to mention the additional S8 for the Croxley extension... ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deepgreen

Established Member
Don't forget that until the enhanced SSL timetable is put into place, there's far more S Stock units to play with than are needed in daily service. Not to mention the additional S8 for the Croxley extension... ;)

However, don't forget the units back at Derby for ATO fitment.

bramling

Veteran Member
D Stock have of course run on 750vDC for its career between East Putney-Wimbledon and Gunnersbury-Richmond.

Not quite. I'm no expert on this, however my understanding is the various sections of NR that see LU trains have a nominal voltage of 660vDC. This doesn't just apply to the specific sections which see LU trains, but the surrounding areas too. Thus on the main line into Waterloo, the voltage gradually increases on a substation-by-substation basis going outwards from, presumably, Wimbledon and Richmond substations, and presumably somewhere on the Hounslow loop too.

As to why it was done like this, when the system was designed (today's London suburban electrification essentially dates from a modernisation scheme in the 1950s), one presumes there was simply no need for anything more than 660vDC, therefore the extra expense and complexity of separating the LU supplies wasn't necessary. Fast forward half a century and the suburban electrification required substantial reinforcement for new trains, both in the early 2000s for the Desiros, and again more recently for 10-car trains on the Windsor lines - but despite this the reduced voltage remains something of an impairment. In the last few years NR had a project on the drawing board called "separation of LUL supplies", I'm not sure how far this has progressed. Bear in mind the Waterloo & City Line is included in all this too, which was historically fed from NR's Waterloo substation - though I'm not sure if this has changed more recently.

I may be a little out of date with some of the above, however this was certainly the position at least until the last few years, and may well still be.

Last edited:

londonboi198o5

On Moderation
Two trains, 21467/8 & 21547/8 are still outstanding to be delivered. These trains are the two ATO test trains and remain at Old Dalby.

I haven't the numbers to hand but at least three S8 and one S7 are now fitted with ATO kit and running around on LU.

Thanks for that munch error I was under the impression they have all been delivered. Thanks for clarifying that

londonboi198o5

On Moderation
And sorry for my spelling iphone. Predictive text kicks in

That should read. Thanks for that my error

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Not quite. I'm no expert on this, however my understanding is the various sections of NR that see LU trains have a nominal voltage of 660vDC. This doesn't just apply to the specific sections which see LU trains, but the surrounding areas too. Thus on the main line into Waterloo, the voltage gradually increases on a substation-by-substation basis going outwards from, presumably, Wimbledon and Richmond substations, and presumably somewhere on the Hounslow loop too.

As to why it was done like this, when the system was designed (today's London suburban electrification essentially dates from a modernisation scheme in the 1950s), one presumes there was simply no need for anything more than 660vDC, therefore the extra expense and complexity of separating the LU supplies wasn't necessary. Fast forward half a century and the suburban electrification required substantial reinforcement for new trains, both in the early 2000s for the Desiros, and again more recently for 10-car trains on the Windsor lines - but despite this the reduced voltage remains something of an impairment. In the last few years NR had a project on the drawing board called "separation of LUL supplies", I'm not sure how far this has progressed. Bear in mind the Waterloo & City Line is included in all this too, which was historically fed from NR's Waterloo substation - though I'm not sure if this has changed more recently.

I may be a little out of date with some of the above, however this was certainly the position at least until the last few years, and may well still be.

Raising the system voltage to 750V nominal on the joint LU/NR routes is still shown as outstanding in the March update to the enhancement plans, pending D stock withdrawal, with a Grip 6 (start on site) date of July 2017.

It is described as phase 2 of the Wessex Regen Braking sub-project, however I think regular poster Dstock7080 has said before that LU reckon it is already complete.

So I'm still uncertain.

Dstock7080

Established Member
What stations will it likely start and end at? I want to use a journey planner to get some idea if it's a viable day trip from Dorset without having to stay overnight in London
routing of the Farewell Tour, Train 755:

High Street Kensington pfm.4
Olympia
Richmond 6
Wimbledon
Northfields 1 (via Local line)
Northfields 4 (via Local line)
Plaistow 3
West Ham siding
Upminster 5
Ealing Broadway 9.
(to depot)

(TTN78/17 refers)

MatthewRead

On Moderation
routing of the Farewell Tour, Train 755:

Olympia
Richmond 6
Wimbledon
Northfields 1 (via Local line)
Northfields 4 (via Local line)
Plaistow 3
West Ham siding
Upminster 5
Ealing Broadway 9.
(to depot)

(TTN78/17 refers)
Woul have liked it if the train could run via the fast line to Northfields just to make the journey more interesting and you haven't said which platform at Wimbledon.

Last edited:

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Indeed, platform allocations are not shown for Wimbledon (or Richmond) in the usual Working Timetable, being Network Rail area. Nothing is showing in TTN78/17 for Wimbledon.

And, indeed, platform allocations are only guidance anyway!

From the WTT: "Signal Operators may vary the routing and platform working in the best interests of the service."

Unlikely to happen when running to a TTN but not impossible if the rest of the service is stuffed.

Hope to see some of you on board in the afternoon, do say 'Hi' if I'm stewarding your car.

simple simon

I am able to offer a full schedule for the tour train, except platforms numbers as previously detailed.

This was not sent to me as such, rather it was made public somewhere else and as a result the information landed in my email inbox. I am saying this because I also wish to reassure anyone who works on the railways that I am not privy to inside information.

I have also published this information on my website, and created a single page pdf file which is easy to print and carry about during the day.

http://citytransport.info/traininfo.htm

For people wanting to see the train from the lineside / stations it may be noteworthy that as well as the lunch break at Northfields there will be a 20ish minute afternoon break at Plaistow bay platform. I would guess that even people who are not on the tour will be able to board for one last nostalgic look plus perhaps photo.

Simon

------------------------------------------------------
NB: the times are grouped according to journeys.

Ealing Common Depot (E) 09/18
Acton Town (pfm. 4) 09/21½
Turnham Green 09/25½
Hammersmith 09/31
West Kensington 09/34
Earl's Court (pfm 1) 09/38½
High St Kensington (pfm.4) arr 09/42½
*ENTRAIN*

High Street Kensington dep 09/55
Earl's Court (pfm. 4) 09/58½
Kensington (Olympia) arr 10/02½

Kensington (Olympia) dep 10/04½
Earl's Court (pfm. 1) 10/08½
High St Kensington (pfm. 4) arr 10 12½

High St Kensington dep 10 25
Earl's Court (pfm. 4) 10/28½
West Kensington 10/31
Hammersmith 10/34½
Turnham Green 10/39½
Richmond (pfm 6) arr 10/48

Richmond dep 10/50
Turnham Green 11/00½
Hammersmith 11/06
West Kensington 11/09
Earl's Court (pfm 1) 11/12
High St Kensington (pfm. 4) arr 11/15½

High Street Kensington dep 11/31
Earl's Court (pfm. 4) 11/34
Parsons Green 11/40
Putney Bridge 11/42½
East Putney 11/44½
Wimbledon arr 11/52½

Wimbledon dep 12/00½
East Putney 12/08
Putney Bridge 12/10½
Parsons Green 12/12½
Earl's Court (pfm. 1) 12/18½
High St Kensington (pfm. 4) arr 12/22

High Street Kensington dep 12/31
Earl's Court (pfm. 4) 12/34
West Kensington 12/36
Hammersmith 12/39½
Turnham Green 12/45
Acton Town (pfm 1) 12/50
*LL*
Northfields (pfm 1) arr 12/56
*DETRAIN*

*LUNCH*

Northfields (pfm 1) dep 12/58½
Northfields Depot arr 13/03½
Northfields Depot dep 13/09
Northfields (pfm 4) arr 13/14
*ENTRAIN*

Northfields (pfm 4) dep 14/02
*LL*
Acton Town (pfm. 4) 14/07½
Turnham Green 14/11
Hammersmith 14/15
West Kensington 14/19
Earl's Court (pfm 1) 14/22
Gloucester Road 14/24½
South Kensington 14/26
Embankment 14/36½
Mansion House 14/42
Tower Hill 14/46½
Aldgate East 14/49½
Whitechapel 14/51½
West Ham 15/01½
Plaistow (Bay Road) arr 15/03½

Plaistow (Bay Road) dep 15/28
West Ham Siding arr 15/29½

West Ham Siding dep 15/41½
Plaistow 15/43
Barking 15/51½
Dagenham East 16/00½
Upminster (pfm 5) arr 16/10

Upminster dep 16/20
Dagenham East 16/29½
Barking 16/40
Plaistow 16/48
West Ham 16/49½
Whitechapel 17/00
Aldgate East 17/02½
Tower Hill 17/04
Mansion House 17/08
Embankment 17/13½
South Kensington 17/23½
Gloucester Road 17/25½
Earl's Court (pfm. 3) 17/28½
West Kensington 17/31
Hammersmith 17/34½
Turnham Green 17/39½
Acton Town (pfm 1) 17/44
Ealing Common 17/46½
Ealing Broadway (pfm 9) arr 17/50½

*DETRAIN*

Ealing Broadway (pfm 9) dep 18/01
Ealing Common 18/04½
Ealing Common Depot 18/07

Muzer

Established Member
If anyone wants to track it live I have reactivated my hacked together tracker here http://tim32.org/trains/lulgen.txt . You probably want train 755. The list below is each report from the perspective of each district line station. The actual reported location is towards the end of each line.

simple simon

You'll see mine soon ;)

Same here! Its been completed, just needs to be published on YouTube.

tnxrail said:
My video of the day below also thanks to Muzer & simple simon for the times:
https://youtu.be/riv7qIihYdc

Thanks for telling me, I am pleased that you found my efforts to be of use. I also printed off the pdf file with the timings and carried it around with me.

Simon

simple simon

Your channel is by far my favourite on YouTube!

Thank you! :D

I do wish that I had known 'then' what I know now. Even when I bought my first camcorder in December 1989 people did not have computers and the Internet had not been invented.

I would have filmed more!

Back then the concept of online video sharing (eg: YouTube) was not even in science fiction.

Simon

Dstock7080

Established Member
The final movements of D Stock into their final operating positions are being made this week, with DM cars 7007 7032 going into Acton Works for ERU use; unit 7526 driving into Acton Works as a spare for the two D Stock RATs; remaining cars from units 7032+7007 being taken away for scrap; with trailer car 17107 still awaiting removal from Acton Works.

So those cars left on LU metals are:
7010-8123-17010-8010-7123 RAT (1)
7040-8107-17040-8040-7107 RAT (2)
7007 7032 ERU Acton Works
7526-17526-7527 spare for RATs Acton Works
7012 LT Museum Depot Acton
17107 Acton Works (soon to be removed)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Sorry to bump...

I swear blind I have just seen (and heard!) D stock eastbound at Monument. I had just got on the escalator down to the Northern when it pulled in so couldn't be 100% sure. Is this possible, or was I seeng (and hearing) things!

rebmcr

Established Member
Sorry to bump...

I swear blind I have just seen (and heard!) D stock eastbound at Monument. I had just got on the escalator down to the Northern when it pulled in so couldn't be 100% sure. Is this possible, or was I seeng (and hearing) things!

The D-Stock RAT? It's definitely the right weather for it...

Status
Not open for further replies.