• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

District Line D Stock final withdrawal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
More than likely I'll be only seeing S stocks everywhere by the time I visit again in January then, if only 11 trains worth are left!

class387

Established Member
Hi,

I'm going to try and get a ride on a D-Stock tomorrow. How many sets will be out and how long am I likely to have to wait for one?

Thanks.

Dstock7080

Established Member
All pot-luck I'm afraid until the depot road sheets are published in the morning.
Today only 5 ran in the off-peak, 7 in peak; out of 11 available.
Tomorrow that will be down to 10 available, so expect possibly 5-6 to run.
with a 90min run from Richmond-Upminster, you could have a long wait.
Last Saturday, they were consentrated on Rmd-UPM and Ealing-UPM, with one on Olympia service.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I would suggest waiting at South Kensington if you're just waiting for one to turn up. It's an island platform so you won't be left cursing for being on the wrong platform.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Sat 24/9

just 4 running, out of 10 available:

RMD-Upm:
T3 7512+7037 (dep: RMD 0803, 1124, 1444, 1804, 2124)
T10 7030+7535
T14 7032+7057 (dep: RMD 0934, 1254, 1611, 1934, 2254)
Wim-BKG:
T60 7016+7527 (dep: Wim 0853, 1133, 1413, 1653, 1933)
(timetable notice 59/16 refers)

Last edited:

class387

Established Member
I would suggest waiting at South Kensington if you're just waiting for one to turn up. It's an island platform so you won't be left cursing for being on the wrong platform.

Yes. I waited at Mile End eestbound last week, only for 3 D-Stock to pass eastbound!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sat 24/9 (so far)

RMD-Upm T14 7032+7057
Wim-BKG T60 7016+7527

Thanks.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
They're certainly getting keen to bin them then if only 4 out of 10 available sets were in use yesterday. Mind you, the amount of posters I noticed on the Wimbledon branch stations promising 100% air-conditioned new trains by the end of 2016, when I last visited that line some weeks ago, suggested that LU were adament on getting the last of the D stocks gone sharpish!

I must update my D stock requirements list actually, not done so lately...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Are enough S stock sets available that they could replace them all if they wanted?

Yes, but as I understand it there are still a few sidings that need upgrading for the S Stock plus a few other minor bits and pieces to be done.

Almost all the S Stock is now in London; there are only 19 sets that I have not yet had for haulage and of those 19 I have seen at least 6 or 7 of them running around in service.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Are enough S stock sets available that they could replace them all if they wanted?

In theory yes, as there are only 3 S7s still to deliver to London and commission.
However, up to 9 S Stock at a time will be returning to Derby (5 are already there) for ATC fitment and other modifications, so 6-8 D Stock will be staying around at least May 2017

Last edited:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I remember reading somewhere that the traction supply voltage would be increased once the d-stock is gone, is that still the case?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I remember reading somewhere that the traction supply voltage would be increased once the d-stock is gone, is that still the case?

Don't know about within LU's own areas, but the latest Network Rail enhancement sources still state that Wessex routes that include LU traffic (Richmond and Wimbledon areas) will be raised to 750 V nominal only on completion of S stock introduction, (it being implied that is the same as D stock withdrawal). Work to take place Feb - August 2017.

ISTM that if NR are waiting till then, so will LU be.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Yes, but as I understand it there are still a few sidings that need upgrading for the S Stock plus a few other minor bits and pieces to be done.
I'm interested to know which these are.

Regenerative braking on S Stock cannot switched on until the power circuits are upgraded.
Certain sections of the Metropolitan Line are already up to 790v regenerative capability.
D Stock can easily work on 750v DC, as they do to Wimbledon and Richmond but not this higher voltage.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'm interested to know which these are.

Oh - have they done them all now then? In which case that point is now irrelevant, obviously!

I was under the impression that some roads at Ealing Common and a small number elsewhere on the system hadn't been done yet.

tranzitjim

In theory yes, as there are only 3 S7s still to deliver to London and commission.
However, up to 9 S Stock at a time will be returning to Derby (5 are already there) for ATC fitment and other modifications, so 6-8 D Stock will be staying around at least May 2017

By what time would you expect those last three to be in service by?
They're certainly getting keen to bin them then if only 4 out of 10 available sets were in use yesterday. Mind you, the amount of posters I noticed on the Wimbledon branch stations promising 100% air-conditioned new trains by the end of 2016, when I last visited that line some weeks ago, suggested that LU were adament on getting the last of the D stocks gone sharpish!

I must update my D stock requirements list actually, not done so lately...

Would that by any chance be, 100% S stock only on the Wimbledon branch by the end of 2016?

Do the posters say, all District lines?

My novice information told me that the Wimbledon line was mostly C stock which should have all gone by now anyway, and never knew it had D stock runs on it?

Dstock7080

Established Member
By what time would you expect those last three to be in service by?
There is no delivery this week.
I would expect them to be delivered and commissioned by December.

My novice information told me that the Wimbledon line was mostly C stock which should have all gone by now anyway, and never knew it had D stock runs on it?
D Stock can't work between High Street Kensington and Edgware Road- they also couldn't use Triangle sidings until they were lengthened or Putney Bridge (bay) pfm.2 but could go anywhere else on the District Line.

Following on from my posts #121 #131, today confirmed 10 D Stock to remain until at least February 2017.
units remaining:
(car 7027 now at Coopers Lane school, Grove Park; car 7508 stays at LTM depot Acton)

Last edited:

tranzitjim

To be clear, before the S stock came along, what stock used the Wimbledon branch?

From what I have learned via this forum is, the Wimblewares had their own fleet of C stock.

What D stock runs did the Wimbledon branch get back then?

From what I remember, the C stock also did Wimbledon - Somewhere towards Tower Hill too? Sorry I forgot actual location here.

I guess that all of the former C stock runs are now S stock? Or, did we start using D stock on that branch only since the S stock came?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Roughly speaking, half the trains from Wimbledon go to Edgware Rd, and would have been C Stock, and the other half run via the City, and would have been D Stocks.

Mikey C

Established Member
To be clear, before the S stock came along, what stock used the Wimbledon branch?

From what I have learned via this forum is, the Wimblewares had their own fleet of C stock.

From what I remember, the C stock also did Wimbledon - Somewhere towards Tower Hill too? Sorry I forgot actual location here.

I guess that all of the former C stock runs are now S stock? Or, did we start using D stock on that branch only since the S stock came?

The S7 stock first replaced all the C stock so the Wimblewares (which were C stock operated) went over to S7 stock before any of the D stock was replaced. Thus Wimbledon would have received both S7 stock for the Wimbleware trains, and D stock for everything else - Upminster, Tower Hill etc.

bramling

Veteran Member

Basically anything working to Edgware Road had to be C stock, because the platforms beyond High Street Kensington would not accommodate the longer D stock. This equated to roughly half the daytime service, the remainder was formed of D stock working towards the City and beyond.

More unusually, C stock could appear on District Line services towards the City, but only happened in exceptional circumstances. Likewise C stock could and occasionally did work to Ealing Broadway, Richmond and, more commonly, Olympia.

Although the C77 stock was ordered on paper for the Edgware Road-Wimbledon service, in practice the C69 and C77 fleets were completely inter-worked, including within the same train formation. With all the fleet maintained at Hammersmith it was also possible for a Wimbledon-Edgware Road train to be reformed into a C&H train at Edgware Road.

tranzitjim

Basically anything working to Edgware Road had to be C stock, because the platforms beyond High Street Kensington would not accommodate the longer D stock. This equated to roughly half the daytime service, the remainder was formed of D stock working towards the City and beyond.

More unusually, C stock could appear on District Line services towards the City, but only happened in exceptional circumstances. Likewise C stock could and occasionally did work to Ealing Broadway, Richmond and, more commonly, Olympia.

Although the C77 stock was ordered on paper for the Edgware Road-Wimbledon service, in practice the C69 and C77 fleets were completely inter-worked, including within the same train formation. With all the fleet maintained at Hammersmith it was also possible for a Wimbledon-Edgware Road train to be reformed into a C&H train at Edgware Road.

Thanks to you and others above for their detailed responses.

I need to ask, why was the Wimblewares part of the District line, and not part of say, their own group? as the only District line trains to visit Edgeware Road, are operating to/from Wimbledon. The way that the District line is done on maps, you would expect to get a direct to Edgeware road service from Dealing Broadway and Richmond as well as from Wimbledon.

Status
Not open for further replies.