• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

District Line D Stock final withdrawal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Quirk of history. H&C used to be shown as a Metropolitan service until 1990- as did the LU version of the East London Line

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
it was the 1990 map revision (that also saw the East London Line go orange- it has been Metropolitan purple with a white line down the middle)

96tommy

I've been using the District line 4/5 times a day this last week to get between places now I live in Whitechapel but all been S Stock. Onyl D stocl I've had this last week was on Friday night at around 11pm from Gloucester Road to Tower Hill terminator. Used to avoid them at all costs and they seemed to turn up, now I want to get on one, they seem to avoid me!

cjp

I'm interested to know which these are.

Regenerative braking on S Stock cannot switched on until the power circuits are upgraded.
Certain sections of the Metropolitan Line are already up to 790v regenerative capability.
D Stock can easily work on 750v DC, as they do to Wimbledon and Richmond but not this higher voltage.

How interesting.:)

There is more to this tube train business than I realised.

If the longer S stock trains cannot be turned back at Mansion House where can they terminate to give flexibility to service when needed? Tower Hill?

MrB

How interesting.:)

There is more to this tube train business than I realised.

If the longer S stock trains cannot be turned back at Mansion House where can they terminate to give flexibility to service when needed? Tower Hill?

Yes I've been on several terminating at Tower Hill. Might be the only place in the "central" section they can turn back now.

RJ

Established Member
If significantly delayed going westbound, Olympia is commonly used - the next train indicators on the platform show Earl's Court but the train PIS will show Olympia. As for the D stocks, one seems to turn up first at least 3 days out of 5 a week for me. Much prefer the S stocks myself! Even though it's only a short hop to St James's Park, the S stocks are better to be on when the train is busy.

Last edited:

Dstock7080

Established Member
Friday 7 October, T125 05:33½ depart Ealing Broadway should be the last train.
units 7030+7535 performed the last scheduled run this morning, although train 24 7046+7503 (21.56-22.20) and very unusually S7 train 42 21405/06 (22.53-23.12) in the evening also went into pfm.2.
Just one enthusiast passenger on the train and 3 photographers to meet it in pfm.2.

Last edited:

Rup

Sorry if this question's been addressed elsewhere, but are the old D-stock units all going to Long Marston to Vivarail, or are any going elsewhere?

Dstock7080

Established Member
VivaRail are taking most (except 4 retained for RAT trains, 1 donated to a school, 1 donated to LTM) of the DM cars, initially all the trailer cars went too, although recently trailers have gone to Booths of Rotherham for scrap. All (except 4 retained for RAT trains) UNDM cars have gone for scrap.

Last edited:

Nym

Established Member
VivaRail are taking most (except 4 retained for RAT trains, 1 donated to a school, 1 donated to LTM) of the DM cars, initially all the trailer cars went too, although recently trailers have gone to Booths of Rotherham for scrap. All (except 4 retained for RAT trains) UNDM cars have gone for scrap.

The RATs only need two trailers for both...

See page 10 of this document; http://content.tfl.gov.uk/fpc-160121-item09-project-monitoring-revised.pdf

All of the UNDMs are going for scrap though, excluding those preserved and going into the RATs.

Last edited:

MrB

units 7030+7535 performed the last scheduled run this morning, although train 24 7046+7503 (21.56-22.20) and very unusually S7 train 42 21405/06 (22.53-23.12) in the evening also went into pfm.2.
Just one enthusiast passenger on the train and 3 photographers to meet it in pfm.2.

If that S7 train ran into platform 2 why won't they be using it in the future? Any specific reason why this one train went in there?

Met Driver

Established Member
The RATs only need two trailers for both...

See page 10 of this document; http://content.tfl.gov.uk/fpc-160121-item09-project-monitoring-revised.pdf

All of the UNDMs are going for scrap though, excluding those preserved and going into the RATs.

Where does that document say both RATs are getting two trailers? In any case, they aren't; the formation will be DM-UNDM-T-UNDM-DM (existing car types, no doubt the intermediate ones will acquire different designations appropriate to their new characteristics). So only one trailer per train, which will be the sandite car in each.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If that S7 train ran into platform 2 why won't they be using it in the future? Any specific reason why this one train went in there?

Because it's being removed over the course of today/tomorrow. S7s could physically fit if needed (to reverse east to west in an emergency) but there wasn't enough room to satisfy signal sighting requirements, nor (I think) for an overrun margin between the stopping mark and arrestor.

Last edited:

Dstock7080

Established Member
It was requested by the Operator of the train, a sort of - first & last.

S7 Stock could only use the platform in emergencies as the platform was very tight indeed, no equipment is fitted on the platform, so the front 3 and rear 3 doors would remain closed and assisted dispatch required on departure as no cctv is available for S Stock.

Nym

Established Member
Where does that document say both RATs are getting two trailers? In any case, they aren't; the formation will be DM-UNDM-T-UNDM-DM (existing car types, no doubt the intermediate ones will acquire different designations appropriate to their new characteristics). So only one trailer per train, which will be the sandite car in each.

So both RATs need two trailers between them.

Regardless of that, equipment is going to be needed from both trailers, since it will be fixed formation and no-one really makes GEC jumpers any more.

Last edited:

MrB

It was requested by the Operator of the train, a sort of - first & last.

S7 Stock could only use the platform in emergencies as the platform was very tight indeed, no equipment is fitted on the platform, so the front 3 and rear 3 doors would remain closed and assisted dispatch required on departure as no cctv is available for S Stock.

Ah thanks, didn't realise that they were removing the track this weekend. Any ideas what they're going to use the space for, Twitter just mentions "future improvement works"?

Dstock7080

Established Member
Ah thanks, didn't realise that they were removing the track this weekend. Any ideas what they're going to use the space for, Twitter just mentions "future improvement works"?
The 'improvement' is that there is one less set of points to rumble over both EB and WB, these won't need maintenance and the line speed entering and leaving pfm.3 EB is to be raised in the future.

MrB

The 'improvement' is that there is one less set of points to rumble over both EB and WB, these won't need maintenance and the line speed entering and leaving pfm.3 EB is to be raised in the future.

Ok thank you!

Dstock7080

Established Member
Any idea why the train op requested to go into platform 2?
I believe simply to be the first passenger S7 and last passenger train to use it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

The first of two 5-car RAT Rail Adhesion Trains is shortly to leave Acton Works for testing out on the system; now formed 7010-8123-17010-8010-7123, it will not replace the A Stock this season.

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Is it re-liveried or will it look like a passenger train with stickers in the doors?

Dstock7080

Established Member
Is it re-liveried or will it look like a passenger train with stickers in the doors?
It hasn't been relivered as such, the doors are now white/blue to match the rest of the car, although oddly it still retains the small white lines on the blue either side of the doors.
The trailer car has some windows plated over so this car had been re-vinyled.

The DM cars have "Rail Adhesion Train" and the trailer has "Rail Adhesion Car" on the side.

Two new LED headlights are mounted in a similar position to A Stock.

Last edited:

tranzitjim

Is there no possible way of extending the siding so it could be used by S7 stock trains?

Nym

Established Member
It hasn't been relivered as such, the doors are now white/blue to match the rest of the car, although oddly it still retains the small white lines on the blue either side of the doors.
The trailer car has some windows plated over so this car had been re-vinyled.

The DM cars have "Rail Adhesion Train" and the trailer has "Rail Adhesion Car" on the side.

Two new LED headlights are mounted in a similar position to A Stock.

And some of the windows on the trailer are only internally plated. retaining external glass.

321over360

As much as i used to like the D stock before the S stock came about, once the S Stock came to the other SSL lines i wanted the D Stock gone as there was something nicer about the S stock, think it was the Air Conditioning as the C stock were always stuffy so was glad to see the back of them, the A stock were the better SSL stock before the S Stock due the big comfy seats then the D Stock in the middle as pre refurbishment they had a weird charm to them that was lost in the refurbishment as they gained the corporate colours (which doesnt suit tube trains as too much white) and it lost the nice wooden floors and orange doors and the bobbly things passengers held onto instead of a metal bar, i think if they were going in the original format I would miss them more than in the refurbished state as even shortcuts were done there with the Hassle Alarm and the PIS both using the same speakers hence PIS announcements getting cut off as the doors closed

bramling

Veteran Member
As much as i used to like the D stock before the S stock came about, once the S Stock came to the other SSL lines i wanted the D Stock gone as there was something nicer about the S stock, think it was the Air Conditioning as the C stock were always stuffy so was glad to see the back of them, the A stock were the better SSL stock before the S Stock due the big comfy seats then the D Stock in the middle as pre refurbishment they had a weird charm to them that was lost in the refurbishment as they gained the corporate colours (which doesnt suit tube trains as too much white) and it lost the nice wooden floors and orange doors and the bobbly things passengers held onto instead of a metal bar, i think if they were going in the original format I would miss them more than in the refurbished state as even shortcuts were done there with the Hassle Alarm and the PIS both using the same speakers hence PIS announcements getting cut off as the doors closed

The one really big advantage that S stock has over both C and D stock is the extra length.

Apart from that, I prefer all of the old ones. For me the A stock in particular delivered a vastly superior travel experience compared to S stock.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Really? I didn't like the ride quality whatsoever on A stock. To say I was glad to see it go is an understatement. I wasn't super keen on S stock on my first ever trip, as it was rather busy, but after that I like them.

I will always remember the C stock though, the icon of the Tube back in the day for me. It was always to the Circle and District line back then, I would rarely use the Bakerloo out of Paddington or indeed the Hammersmith and City line. These days I'm more likely to make a beeline for The Oven Line for the Victoria line if I'm going to Kings Cross St Pancras, or indeed towards Victoria. If I'm on a red pen fest, that's different and I see a lot of returning to the Circle/District line in the coming 10 years.

The end of the D stock will signal the end of another part of nostalgia for me. The end of the 67 stock on the Victoria line, which I was using a lot at one point, was surprisingly no big loss to me. Quite, the 09 stock has been most welcome in my eyes, the sheer speed and vastly improved information systems, as well as the amazing frequency, is a major draw for me. I know it might not seem like a big deal to most people, but I do like the announcements which tell you which side the doors open on. Really quite handy for tourists like myself, and I know Blindtraveller finds it handy too. Not having it on the S stock shocked me, but on those I like the mix of male and female announcements which just makes it feel more welcoming somehow.

Anyway, as for D stock withdrawals, are they still going?

Status
Not open for further replies.