• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

District Line D Stock final withdrawal

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris11256

They haven't yet reached the stage of being rare and hard to find. On an average day most of them end up in service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Yeah, three weeks ago I managed to pick up three D-stocks in quick succession. At one point, every platform at Earls Court had D-stock in it. A once totally unremarkable sight has become the opposite.

That being said, they appear to be very rare on the Upminsters now, the ones I saw were mostly doing Ealing Broadway-Tower Hill and Richmonds.

chris11256

When will that be may I ask?:(

In theory one D stock a week should be going. However I'm not sure how that's working in practice(I'm only a humble commuter).

But going to plan I'd say in about a two months or so. It also depends how keen LU are to make full use of them to save on S stock maintenance.

Dstock7080

Established Member
That being said, they appear to be very rare on the Upminsters now, the ones I saw were mostly doing Ealing Broadway-Tower Hill and Richmonds.
todays morning runout was:
T4 7030+7535, T10 7508+7007, T12 7070+7101, T15 7046+7503, T21 7504+7079, T30 7108+7033, T32 7016+7527, T52 7032+7057, T63 7034+7115, T67 7530+7075, T101 7518+7037, T102 7538+7031, T103 7006+7525, T105 7012+7095, T106 7024+7097, T107 7512+7105, T122 7018+7533, T125 7040+7107

18 trains, although 8 would not be out in off-peak.
(7048+7537 withdrawn at ECom)

of those:
T4 T10 T12 T15 T21 are Richmond-Upminster
T30 T32 are Ealing-Upminster
T52 are Wimbledon-Tower Hill
T63 T67 are Wimbledon-Barking.
T101 T102 T103 T15 T106 T107 stable off-peak at Upminster
T122 T125 stable off-peak at Ealing Common.

In theory one D stock a week should be going. However I'm not sure how that's working in practice(I'm only a humble commuter).
yes, they currently are going at that rate.

NYCSubway137

Well, when the D Stock is retired, it will be the end of the real sub-surface Underground.

About retirement (by the looks of things), I'll be done in September.

Last edited:

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Yeah, three weeks ago I managed to pick up three D-stocks in quick succession. At one point, every platform at Earls Court had D-stock in it. A once totally unremarkable sight has become the opposite.

Last time I was in London, about two weeks ago, I noticed that the second Olympia shuttle on a weekday did not return to High Street Kensington but formed an additional Upminster train - taking many by surprise.

It will be a sad day when the D stock forms a HSK - KO service plus return for the final time

Dstock7080

Established Member
Last time I was in London, about two weeks ago, I noticed that the second Olympia shuttle on a weekday did not return to High Street Kensington but formed an additional Upminster train - taking many by surprise.

It will be a sad day when the D stock forms a HSK - KO service plus return for the final time
The 0625 0645 departures are scheduled to run to Dagenham East.
The evening 1958 2038 departures are for High Street.

A shuttle service doesn't operate on weekdays, individual trains make one trip only.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
The 0625 0645 departures are scheduled to run to Dagenham East.
The evening 1958 2038 departures are for High Street.

A shuttle service doesn't operate on weekdays, individual trains make one trip only.

I know, Dstock, however I have heard the morning and evening trains called "shuttles" and its what I have always called them.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Well, when the D Stock is retired, it will be the end of the real sub-surface Underground

Not this again. The S stock are just as 'real' and just as 'proper' sub-surface trains as the D stock. The fact that some enthusiasts will mourn their passing does not change this fact.

The new trains have many advantages over their predecessors, just as the D stock did over theirs and so on and so forth. This is called progress, and innovation, and change. These are important things to ensure a system remains viable, accessible and reliable.

For the majority of ordinary passengers the S stock represent a massive step forwards over what was provided by the D stock, and the C stock and A stock before them.

They're by all means not perfect, but they are miles ahead of what came before. There are far bigger things to be concerned about that signal the 'end' of the real sub-surface railway.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Not this again. The S stock are just as 'real' and just as 'proper' sub-surface trains as the D stock. The fact that some enthusiasts will mourn their passing does not change this fact.

The new trains have many advantages over their predecessors, just as the D stock did over theirs and so on and so forth. This is called progress, and innovation, and change.

S-Stock trains have no soul

Plus, they have this silly setting on their air-con which means its always chilled

Last edited:

bluegoblin7

Established Member

Oh come on. Inanimate objects do not have souls, although I will accept that they might not have the same 'charm' or 'nostalgia' as the D stock. However.

Many said the same when the D stock were introduced. I would happily wager that many now mourning the passing of the D stock were such people.

Different S stock trains have their quirks, in the same way that different D stock trains have their quirks. This becomes especially apparent when you regularly work with the stock, as well as travelling on them.

I'd take a slightly chilly S stock over the sweltering 72 stock I'm sat on any day - and, of course, temperature is entirely subjective.

matt_world2004

Established Member
I don't know I think there is something very distinctive and magical looking looking about the S stock. Particularly from the inside where you you get an infinity style perspective shot on an empty train

rebmcr

Established Member
Well, when the D Stock is retired, it will be the end of the real sub-surface Underground.

You'd better tell the thousands of commuters on the Metropolitan, District, Circle, and Hammersmith & City lines as quick as you can before tomorrow morning.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'd take a slightly chilly S stock over the sweltering 72 stock I'm sat on any day - and, of course, temperature is entirely subjective.

If it's after 0600 and before 2200, then I would agree with you entirely. Heritage or not, the lack of air conditioning on the Roasterloo and Hotiilly lines is a ginormous irritance. The S stock has been a god-send on the SSL for that, I don't think most people would disagree that the air-conditioning is most welcome on even slightly warm days. I prefer the better PIS on S stock sets too, compared to what went before them things have got a lot better for that.

I will of course miss the D stock, but not half as much as I miss the C stock. They were an icon of the Tube for me, the D stock less so but still an integral part of the nostalgia I have for years gone by. I doubt very much I'll get myself to London before the end of the D stock sets, or indeed the other icon of London travel in my eyes, the Tridents.

Don't get me wrong, as much as I have plenty of nostalgia for the C and D stock sets (the A stock sets I was perfectly happy to see the back of personally, but that's a whole other story...), I enjoy the S stock and I think they'll continue to serve London well for many years to come. The New Order is nearly all in service and I'm happy about that, they have become the new icon of London travel for me and doubtlessly others too.

What's my point then? People flapping about the end of the 'real Underground' etc have no idea what they're actually on about. Quite, New York needs to get itself into gear and catch up with London, that system is ancient and is in dire need of modernising! Those 'things' on line 3 in particular are horrid to ride on!

hassaanhc

Established Member

The new trains have many advantages over their predecessors, just as the D stock did over theirs and so on and so forth. This is called progress, and innovation, and change. These are important things to ensure a system remains viable, accessible and reliable.

For the majority of ordinary passengers the S stock represent a massive step forwards over what was provided by the D stock, and the C stock and A stock before them.

They're by all means not perfect, but they are miles ahead of what came before. There are far bigger things to be concerned about that signal the 'end' of the real sub-surface railway.

I fully agree with you there. A significant minority of enthusiasts are allergic to anything new replacing something old.

The S Stock have bought an enormous improvement to travelling conditions on the subsurface group of lines. Even now I'm impressed by just how smooth their acceleration and braking is, and how quiet and smooth they are over points and rail joints. They are also incredibly spacious, while the improved climate inside doesn't need explaining.

Yes their predecessors may have been good in their day, but the S Stock shows just how far we've come in the last 30-40 years. I have grown up using the District Line a fair amount, but this 21 year old will definitely not miss the old stock (well, any more than wanting one more ride on them again for comparison :lol:).

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Out of interest, do S stock actually have better acceleration or braking than D stock, or is it just more comfortable? And if so, will that allow any journey time improvements once they are no longer sharing the tracks with D stock?

Domh245

Established Member
Out of interest, do S stock actually have better acceleration or braking than D stock, or is it just more comfortable? And if so, will that allow any journey time improvements once they are no longer sharing the tracks with D stock?

They are capable of superior acceleration and braking, but I think that they are still restricted in their performance to 'conventional' levels.

kingston_toon

Plus, they have this silly setting on their air-con which means its always chilled

Really? I've never been on one that's cold enough! And I'm by no means a complete fat b*st*rd! They could all do with being made a couple of degrees cooler, as if you're too cold you can always another layer. Those of us still too warm can't always take anything else off!

Those new New York Subway cars... now that's how to do air conditioning!

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Can the driver adjust the air-con temperature on s-stock trains or is that something that can only be done by fitters?

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
As ugly as I thought the D stock is/was, I will miss them as they were part of my daily commute to work in the days before tube stock was painted. Same with the C stock.

What I do miss though is the tungsten lit 1938 tube stock and having a fag on the journey (yes, in the days when one could smoke on the tube!)

Last edited:

Dstock7080

Established Member
Can the driver adjust the air-con temperature on s-stock trains or is that something that can only be done by fitters
Nothing can be done by the driver to alter the saloon temperature or switch the air-con off.

Drivers have for themselves a cab cooling control but this has no 'off' switch and can only be isolated by flicking an MCB up.

philthetube

Established Member

About retirement (by the looks of things), I'll be done in September.

I feel sure this comment will be repeated in another forty years or so.

Rup

Personally I love the S-stock trains, and they're proving popular with Londoners too ...

http://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/Inbox/s-stock-is-the-best-thing-since-black-cab/125524

S-Stock is the best thing since black cab

A poll of over 10,000 Londoners has selected Bombardier’s S-Stock Tube trains as one of the top 10 transport designs in the capital – impressive, considering well-established icons from more than a century ago were also competing.

The S-Stock (S7 and S8) has been gradually replacing fleets on the Metropolitan, District, Hammersmith & City and Circle lines since 2010 – including the D-Stock currently being shipped off to Vivarail’s makeover experts.

Considered the biggest single rolling stock order in Britain, the air-conditioned stock distinguished itself from older fleets by allowing passengers to move from car to car while the train is in motion.

A TfL member of staff said they chose the S-Stock their favourite design icon because it is “well air-conditioned and looks very futuristic from the exterior”.

“It is very spacious so it’s never too crowded. Also the interior is quite cool, with the way you can walk from one end to the other end of the Tube,” they added.

Domh245

Established Member
“It is very spacious so it’s never too crowded. Also the interior is quite cool, with the way you can walk from one end to the other end of the Tube,” they added.
Have they actually attempted to travel on one of them in the rush hour? They're better than their predecessors, but my experience of peak team travelling was anything but empty

Mikey C

Established Member
I'm a fan of the D stock, after the refurbishment, but love the S7s. So much more space, with the through gangways and aircon.

They definitely feel wider inside as well, there is far more space between the longitudinal seating than the D stock, enabling a lot more standing room

hassaanhc

Established Member
I feel sure this comment will be repeated in another forty years or so.
And usually from the occasional users as well... <( Same happened when the old crap on my local bus route were replaced in 2012.

I'm a fan of the D stock, after the refurbishment, but love the S7s. So much more space, with the through gangways and aircon.

They definitely feel wider inside as well, there is far more space between the longitudinal seating than the D stock, enabling a lot more standing room

Using Wikipedia figures ( :D ), the S Stock appear to be 7cm wider than D Stock (2.92m vs 2.85m) at their widest points. It probably helps that there is no full height handrail in the centre of the aisle between the seats (only by the doors), the empty space under the seats making it feel wider, brighter lighting, and of course the wider doors.

Hophead

Established Member
It is certainly heartening that Bombardier is able to build trains to a high standard for Tfl. I hope that the Crossrail units are as good as the S stock (& the 378s too) in terms of reliability and build quality.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Using Wikipedia figures ( :D ), the S Stock appear to be 7cm wider than D Stock (2.92m vs 2.85m) at their widest points. It probably helps that there is no full height handrail in the centre of the aisle between the seats (only by the doors), the empty space under the seats making it feel wider, brighter lighting, and of course the wider doors.

Indeed the widest part of a D Stock is at floor level whereas at the waist level on S Stock, the seats are pushed back into this wider part.

Status
Not open for further replies.