• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

disused level crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.

the sniper

Established Member
There's 2 on the A483 north and south of Oswestry which remained in situ as the branch to Blodwell quarry from Gobowen was "mothballed" from 1988 till 2010. There now owned by Shrophire CC and leased to Cambrian Heritage Railways.

The same line also crosses the A495 west of Llynclys, but only has X signs and the track has had tarmac laid over it: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/36638905

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CarltonA

King's Lynn has a substantial pair of gates, rails in the road and several road signs outside the docks. This has been severed from the network for a few years now. You can still find some rails accross the footpath behind a nearby industrial estate.

Crossover

Established Member
Interesting thread :)

Well, they certainly did when this picture was taken.

Would I be right in thinking that in cases like this, the lights and barriers have been left due to it being easier than reprogramming the signalling system at the moment? I imagine, in a similar way to signals stuck in the middle of old trackbed, the signal system has to register that all the bits are working (barriers down, lights on and maybe sounders sounding) in order for it to consider it safe to allow a train to cross?

Also, taking Sherburn, how do users cross between the platforms?

IanD

Established Member
Presumably by walking between the two white lines in the picture, next to the cyclists dismount sign.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Fun fact of the day- "Cyclists Dismount" signs are merely suggestions; they do not compel cyclists to get off. They should though be taken as a warning to slow down and be extra careful for pedestrians.

Drsatan

Established Member
I'm pretty sure Gosport was home to some abandoned infrastructure which quite possibly included a crossing or two on an old MOD branch (Bedenham?) It may have been ripped up as part of the recent BRT project, not been there to take a look for a long while!

Here's the remains of a level crossing on the former Bedenham branch. Note this photo was taken three years ago so a lot may have changed since then!

GearJammer

Here's the remains of a level crossing on the former Bedenham branch. Note this photo was taken three years ago so a lot may have changed since then!

I parked up for the night in my truck just round the corner from here only the other week, i went over this and if you had'nt of said it was taken 3 years ago i would have assumed it was a recent pic, nothings changed.

May i put forward the former level crossing on the A228 where it crosses the Isle of Grain branch? The road now crosses the railway via a new bridge, but the old road has been fenced/gated off/closed, despite this all the lights and barriers and sirens that used to stop the traffic still remain.... and as i found out today, still very much work!

Whistler40145

Established Member
Does the Level Crossing at Brackmills that the A45 crosses have track in situ & does it have barriers/flashing lights?

barrykas

Established Member
Does the Level Crossing at Brackmills that the A45 crosses have track in situ & does it have barriers/flashing lights?

Streetview shows the (dual carriageway) A45 crossing the Brackmills branch on a fairly substantial bridge...or is it a viaduct? The A508, meanwhile, does have a level crossing. The lights are still there, but the barriers have been removed and fencing put across the track either side.

Cheers,

Barry

bILLOO

Even when the line was used in the late 80's and early 90's, they didn't use the crossing lights or barriers. I'm not sure the lights and barriers have ever been used?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
That looks like the Par Harbour line, it's been closed a good couple of years I think.

richw

Veteran Member
That looks like the Par Harbour line, it's been closed a good couple of years I think.

Its about 200metres south from the par rail depot. On satellite view there appears to be a rail vehicle in the docks. The track and crossing gates are all fully in place still

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o15xYFyN09E shows it still in use october 2010, had a quick google search as you reminded me of the line being the harbour branch

this one in 2007 shows the gates being operated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j-NNzeY9U0

Are there any in Scotland? I think there is one on the roysth dockyard branch in fife that has no barriers or lights and another in ayrshire but are there more? I think the old Elliot branch near arbroath in Angus has a modern barrier/gate next to the old A92 with the trackbed visible towards carmyle.

hedpe

In ireland, a lot of the level crossings (perhaps up until recently) use manual gates.

Here is one i used to pass over often, driving off the boat from fishgaurd towards waterford.

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery...w Ross/slides/NewRoss_20050820_011_CC_JA.html

The line had simple automated color light signalling and the level crossing may have been interlocked with this system. Many of these rural lines in Ireland still use semaphore and gates (but this is all gradually changing).

Heres another photo. I believe the crossing has been completely removed now (although signs still there). This crossing sat unused for years.

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery...w Ross/slides/NewRoss_20050820_008_CC_JA.html

Last edited:

gottago

There's this on the old Birkenhead Dock Branch which closed in 1993:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Bi...oid=h8Z2Jqred5j8BIBFu6dgjA&cbp=12,349.15,,0,0

...and then another one a bit further down with a footbridge that's seen much better days.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Bi...=DWpACM0ayqIQJH7E8n3UzA&cbp=12,339.28,,0,2.92

...and yet another one in the opposite direction:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Bi...cQrns8xL9veRtr8dww&cbp=12,12.52,,0,10.14&z=19

I read on another forum ages ago that the MoD required the infrastructure of the line to remain in place as it could be of use if Britain were ever to be attacked... or something. The line has allegedly been cleared every few years by offenders/community service as part of this requirement.

I thought it might have been BS but when you look at the level crossing sign in the first Street View image it does look in rather good shape for a sign that has been there since at least 1993! Surely they wouldn't have replaced it without good reason?

...but then they have tarmacked over the lines in the second picture so maybe it's not so true!

DavidBrown

I thought it might have been BS but when you look at the level crossing sign in the first Street View image it does look in rather good shape for a sign that has been there since at least 1993! Surely they wouldn't have replaced it without good reason?

That design of the 'STOP when lights show', with the pictogram of the wig-wags, only came into effect in 1994, so that's the very oldest it can be. That said, disused level crossings seem to get a bit of TLC for a little while after closure - you only have to look at the amount with red and white borders.

scotsman

Established Member
Are there any in Scotland? I think there is one on the roysth dockyard branch in fife that has no barriers or lights and another in ayrshire but are there more? I think the old Elliot branch near arbroath in Angus has a modern barrier/gate next to the old A92 with the trackbed visible towards carmyle.

The Rosyth docks branch had two crossings at either end of the Babcock shed, both with "STOP" and red/green lights

The Ham

Established Member
Fun fact of the day- "Cyclists Dismount" signs are merely suggestions; they do not compel cyclists to get off. They should though be taken as a warning to slow down and be extra careful for pedestrians.

Slightly off topic - although jopsuk is correct, if a cyclist were to be involved in an accident when they had not dismounted the police would take a dim view and would look to punish the cyclist.

North Camp has a level crossing which is still in use, although the main reason for it being there is so that it can be used by pedestrians & cyclists to cross from one platform to the other. As back in the 90's when they were spending millions building the A331 they appear not to have wanted to fund a footbridge with lifts for the station.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=nor...9UMvsXbniw-9adYsIP_DQg&cbp=12,283.15,,0,10.81

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Slightly off topic - although jopsuk is correct, if a cyclist were to be involved in an accident when they had not dismounted the police would take a dim view and would look to punish the cyclist.

The police can only charge with actual offences, not made up ones... However if there was a civil case for damages it could certainly be used as a contributary factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.