• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disused lines with cycle paths

Status
Not open for further replies.

markindurham

Lots round Durham - from Relly Mill you can get follow the 3 routes to Bishop Auckland, Waterhouses and Consett. There's also Consett to Birtley, Consett to Rowlands Gill and Consett to Rowley and beyond - this one takes you over Hownes Gill viaduct.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bedpan

Established Member
Have you thought about the line from Leighton Buzzard to Welwyn, which you could drive to in minutes. I'm not sure about the first part from Leighton Buzzard, I suspect that a lot of it has been lost to the A505, but from Stanbridgeford to Dunstable North (by the A5) it is open as a cycleway. I'm not sure about the section through Dunstable but it is tarmacced from near Dunstable Town station (A505 bridge) and possibly before that, it's the furthest west that I have gone) to Chaul End Road in Luton, the path runs alongside the guided busway. You can then pick it up again just beyond Luton Airport Parkway station, the entrance is off the B653 just after you pass under the A1081 Airport Way. It runs virtually uninterrupted, despite being built over at Harpenden East Station, to Leasey Bridge Lane level crossing, Wheathampstead although the last mile or so is untarmacced. From there to Wheathampstead you can see the line, and where the goods yard was, but there is no access to the trackbed. Visit the platform at Wheathampstead station by the B651/B653 roundabout. You can then access the trackbed from the B653 about half a mile from about half a mile from Wheathampstead station and follow it to the A1(M), pick it up om the far side and you can follow it all the way to the Network Rail boundary fence. If you've still got enough energy having got that far, do the Welwyn - Hertford line.

I've also walked the Brampton Valley Way where it runs alongside the Northampton and Lamport railway and would recommend at least that part, lots to see. Also I'd second the suggestion to do the St Albans to Hatfield line. Its all paved and the platforms are intact with information boards at some if not all.

apk55

some more I can think of
Trans pennine trail from Altrincham to Lymn and Latchford
Delph Donkey line from Uppermill to Delph
Much of the Micklehurst loop from Staylebridge to Uppermill except for a bit around Mossley (but the Huddesfield canal makes a pleasent alternative)
Most of the Holywell branch as part of the Greenfield valley heritage area
Some parts the line from Connahs quay to Buckley Junction
The Woodhead line from Hadfield to Stocksbridge except the Woodhead tunnel
The line from Sikstone near Penistone to Wath including the Worsborough incline
The line from Coed Talon to Llanfynydd
Much of the line from near Bury to near Tottington
Some parts of the line from Stubbins to Accrington including a big viaduct
Middlewood way from Marple to Macclesfied
Cuddington to Winsford Branch
Probably think of several more shortly

4COR

The Tarka trail (the bit from Braunton to Meeth) is all disused railway and is a very nice ride with lots of places to stop (Bideford, Torrington, etc) (I know it's outside area, but one for the future).

The Stratford Greenway is another one I've done (though actually running it as it forms part of the route of the Stratford Half/Full Marathon) - it goes from Stratford-upon-Avon to Long Marston - ISTR there's some kind of model steam engine shop near the Long Marston end?

Dave W

Parkland Walk - the line between Finsbury Park and Alexandra Palace that was destined to be part of the Northern Line. Some interesting infrastructure still in situ, including a couple of viaducts, platforms, etc. And of course the tunnels through which the line ran to the surface station at Highgate.

One is directed to follow streets between Highgate and Cranley Gardens, but it's a good workout nonetheless, especially from Finsbury Park as the path is rarely tarmacked and is on a continuous (gentle) gradient.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Today I went for a bike ride on the Cambridgeshire guided busway, had been meaning to do this for ages. This has made me wonder about doing more of the "Beechinged" lines that have cycle paths.

Does anyone know of any worth doing around the South East and South Midlands, or a site with them on? Sustrans' site seems to be more about the National Cycle Network these days than specifically disused railways.

The Railway Ramblers club is dedicated to walking and cycling old railway paths. Their formerly wonderful website has (as is the way) just been gutted and replaced with something with a tenth of the content, but you can still browse the old news pages: https://www.railwayramblers.org.uk/arc/news/20news.htm

Their chief geographer and chronicler, Jeff Vinter, published "A Guide to Britain's Old Railways that you can Walk or Cycle". I can't recommend it strongly enough. £5ish secondhand: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vinters-Railway-Gazetteer-Britains-Railways/dp/0752460110

And if you want to explore on a map... may I humbly recommend cycle.travel. (Because, er, I run it.) It's a bike route-planner and map that prefers traffic-free paths where available. It doesn't specifically highlight disused railway lines, but it'll help you plan your journey when you've settled on one, and the curvature of old railways usually makes them pretty obvious.

Hughby

Re: Brampton Valley Way. Recommended - the unlit tunnels are surreal to cycle through with headlights off (carefully of course).

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Wheathampstead - towards Welwyn Garden City (part of the Leighton Buzzard - Dunstable - Welwyn Great Northern line)

LMS 4F

Another one for later, maybe, is the transpennine trail www.transpenninetrail.org.uk , much of which is on old railway lines, including the Woodhead route.
Over here on the Eastern side it is not a direct route but has branches off to Leeds and Barnsley, a lot of which is on old Colliery lines. The whole rout would involve stops overnight but this side could be done from one point in lengths to suit your stamina.

Bedpan

Established Member
Wheathampstead - towards Welwyn Garden City (part of the Leighton Buzzard - Dunstable - Welwyn Great Northern line)

I wonder what sort of distance Bletchleyite would want to cycle n a day. I had suggested the whole length from Leighton Buzzard to Welwyn Garden City in post #32 but that would be about 50 miles there and back would only be about 10 miles even if you include the stretch on the far side of the A1(M). If you were to do that end, there is a car park on the site of Ayot Station (but no remains of the station itself I don't think).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I wonder what sort of distance Bletchleyite would want to cycle n a day. I had suggested the whole length from Leighton Buzzard to Welwyn Garden City in post #32 but that would be about 50 miles there and back would only be about 10 miles even if you include the stretch on the far side of the A1(M). If you were to do that end, there is a car park on the site of Ayot Station (but no remains of the station itself I don't think).

I did 30 miles on Sunday but it properly wore me out, I'm not an accomplished cyclist! 20 in total or a bit less if it's hilly would be the thought - though I don't have to do any of them in one go of course!

John Webb

Established Member
….. there is a car park on the site of Ayot Station (but no remains of the station itself I don't think).
The car park is on the former goods yard and according to Disused Stations: Ayot foundations of some buildings can be traced. The (mainly timber) station buildings were severely damaged by fire in 1948, never rebuilt and the station closed to passengers in September 1949.

DidcotDickie

It's on the edge of your area but much of the Midland & South Western Junction Railway is cycle path. The section from the southern edge of Swindon to Marlborough and back is a nice ride and (mostly) fairly level. Park at Coate Water on the SE edge of Swindon and follow the signed route up to the M4, over the bridge with spiral ramps then up through Chisledon. The run from there through to Marlborough is easy going and has a decent surface.

If you don't want to do the hill up from the M4, you can park in Chisledon and start from there: https://www.letsride.co.uk/rides/chiseldon-to-marlborough-the-old-railway-path

Mikey C

Established Member
Not in the right part of the country, and not even a former railway, but there's a very nice path out of Shrewsbury towards Uffington which looks like it follows a disused railway, but actually follows the path of a disused canal!

Bedpan

Established Member
You will see the restored Nast Hyde Halt which even has a short bit of track:

View attachment 78102
Whilst not exactly authentic, they have gone a really great job at restoring the stations along this line and making an interesting walk/cycle ride. I chanced upon Nast Hyde Halt when walking down to Glyn Hopkin to collect my car in December. The twilight made the setting quite atmospheric.

The car park is on the former goods yard and according to Disused Stations: Ayot foundations of some buildings can be traced. The (mainly timber) station buildings were severely damaged by fire in 1948, never rebuilt and the station closed to passengers in September 1949.
I recollect that there had been a fire, but I didn't realise that it had been that long ago. So all that remains as far as stations are concerned must be Luton Hoo, but behind a fence, and two thirds of the Wheathampstead platform. Do you know if the current waiting shelter at Wheathampstead is original, or rather in the original place, or had it been built where it is due to the site of the original buildings having been on the part of the embankment that has been bulldozed away?

66Yorks

York to Selby on the original East Coast Main Line is a brilliant route. 14 miles in total, very flat and easy for all the family.

High Dyke

Established Member
Re: Brampton Valley Way. Recommended - the unlit tunnels are surreal to cycle through with headlights off (carefully of course).
Ah, don't forget, if your headlight is unlit then you should be stopped and advised, so that a replacement lamp can be lit/fitted.

John Webb

Established Member
….So all that remains as far as stations are concerned must be Luton Hoo, but behind a fence, and two thirds of the Wheathampstead platform. Do you know if the current waiting shelter at Wheathampstead is original, or rather in the original place, or had it been built where it is due to the site of the original buildings having been on the part of the embankment that has been bulldozed away?
The current small waiting shelter at Wheathampstead is a new one. The original platform waiting rooms were in a more substantial building, partly on the area of the embankment that has been removed. Several photos at Disused stations: Wheathampstead show it very clearly. It looks as though it may have been built out partly over the slope of the embankment to minimise intrusion onto the platform.

TheBigD

Established Member
The Water Rail Way between Lincoln and Boston. Except for the middle section, is along the former railway line following the river Witham. It's a 65 mile round trip but a lovely ride.

Further afield, I've been recommended (but not yet done) the Great Allegheny Passage, Pittsburgh to Cumberland and then on the C & O canal towpath to Washington DC.

Incidentally, my recent trip cycling in Patagonia, we started off cycling along the disused railway line in Puerto Varas in Chile, which still has the track and ballast in situ!

Bedpan

Established Member
The current small waiting shelter at Wheathampstead is a new one. The original platform waiting rooms were in a more substantial building, partly on the area of the embankment that has been removed. Several photos at Disused stations: Wheathampstead show it very clearly. It looks as though it may have been built out partly over the slope of the embankment to minimise intrusion onto the platform.

Thanks for the link John. Interesting to compare the photos with the present day position. I like the way that the current little waiting shelter gives an impression of the style of the much bigger original building. I would guess that the station buildings began more or less where the remaining platform finishes, and the steps providing access to it are. You can see what appears to be the covered staircase from the station buildings to platform level in the photograph showing the forecourt. It looks as though the buildingd must have extended out,encroaching onto the land now occupied by the B653. It must have been quite a tight squeeze for Codicote Road between the side of the station building and the wall of Wheathampstead House, now occupied as the girls school.

Also of interest is the link to the Blackbridge tip, something else of interest to look at if on a cycle ride. Several interesting photos taken there too. The last paragraph is incorrect though. The disused road shown in two or three photos wasn't there when I moved to the area in 1989. From memory there was a plan in the 90s to reopen the tip and the junction for the access road from the B653, along with a few yards of the road, was built in preparation, only for the reopening plan to be aborted.

DelW

Established Member
Must second this. The Mawddach Trail is superb, especially on a blue-sky day when the trail isn’t too busy. Doing it from Barmouth would also allow a trip over the Barmouth Bridge, it’s quite feasible to cycle the whole thing and back in a day - indeed it’s also more than feasible to walk it both ways. Good about about the Torrent Walk too, although would need to secure a bike up and do that on foot. Naturally this will be more spectacular during periods of heavy rainfall!
I was actually thinking about visiting the pub of that name in the town centre, but no doubt a brisk riverside walk would help work up a thirst, so one could combine the two ;)

Not in the right part of the country, and not even a former railway, but there's a very nice path out of Shrewsbury towards Uffington which looks like it follows a disused railway, but actually follows the path of a disused canal!
It's busy though - social distancing has been a challenge on this route over the last few weeks! it's also very dark at night, if you happen to have been to Haughmond Hill to look for glow worms or nightjars (but I may be the only person who actually cycles there and back for this).

Stafford to Newport (Salop) is a good ride, although access to/from the respective town centres at each end of the route can best be described as 'obscure'.

Yes, it suffers from the usual weakness of Sustrans routes of being constructed in stages as small pots of funding become available. It took me a good while to find the way onto this path at the Newport end when it first opened. But it's better signposted now. Shrewsbury to Stafford and return is a good day trip, especially as it's mostly flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.