• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disused lines with cycle paths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloyds siding

If you cycle down Stratford Road from Wolverton Station to Stony Stratford (I think it's joint pavement/cycle path) then you are following the line of the Wolverton and Stony Stratford tramway! It did continue to Deanshanger, but I'm unsure of the exact route.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lloyds siding

Not actually cycled that but I have run down it, only to have to run back as I had timed it for a gap in the timetable while the Pacer shot off to Heysham and back!
A much more attractive route in the area is from Lancaster to Glasson Dock, intially alongide the River Lune in Lancaster, then joining the trackbed of the railway from Lancaster to Glasson.

Robin Edwards

Did that one already a while ago :)

The reason I'm going for SE specifically is that further away may be a bit much to day-trip, and hotels are not yet allowed to open. Once they are I might consider making a weekend of one further away.
I assume you know the Sustrans R51 Varsity route that includes Bedford to Sandy trackbed?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A much more attractive route in the area is from Lancaster to Glasson Dock, intially alongide the River Lune in Lancaster, then joining the trackbed of the railway from Lancaster to Glasson.

Will give that a go next time I'm up there. The railway path under discussion just reminded me of a MK Redway to be honest.

nickswift99

Just recently opened is the ex-DN&SR route from Hampstead Norreys to Hermitage (with a slight dogleg to pass under the M4). It's become hugely popular already, providing a route to link two villages that would otherwise not be safely accessible on foot/by bike.

Unfortunately, the original railway land was sold off in very small parcels making it difficult if not impossible to extend either north to Compton (where the local secondary school exists) or south towards Newbury.

Zooty

And indeed in the other direction from Green Ayre to Halton, the Crook O' Lune and Caton.

RichJF

One I'm familiar with is the Crab & Winkle trail from Canterbury - Whitstable (c.8 miles). Some of it runs along the old line of the same name that originally ran from Canterbury West & was the 2nd railway to open in the UK.

The Downs link is 36 miles long from Guildford to Shoreham & includes large sections of both the Cranleigh & Steyning line, with some intact stations.

As mentioned earlier,
DEFINITELY do the Three Bridge - East Grinstead (7 miles), East Grinstead - Tunbridge Wells (14 miles) route. I live in East Grinstead & the route is stunning in spring/summer when all the wildlife/fauna are out.
Once hotels open up, I recommend staying in Tunbridge Wells & then riding the Cuckoo Trail (11 miles) from Heathfield. Horam station is still there with BR Southern region totems & gas lighting fitments etc.

bearhugger

Just off the A177 between Stockton-on-Tees and Sedgefield near the village of Thorpe Thewles is Wynyard Woodland Park (Google Maps link) on the Castle Eden Walkway.
The old station building and coal staithes are still intact & cycling north you can get to Station Town & Wingate where you can join up to another branch that takes you past Castle Eden, Hesleden and into the north end Hartlepool.
If you detour into Wingate itself, you can see the old level crossing gates and remains of a semaphore next to the Railway Crossing pub (Google maps link)).

Status
Not open for further replies.