• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disused or mothballed railway lines with track still in place

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigy68

There's a short bit of track alongside the A590 outside the Devonshire Dock Hall in Barrow-in-Furness: see StreetView here. I presume it was once part of the dock system but no idea when it was last used!

Not used since Dev Dock Hall was built in the early 80's and I'm thinking it may have been left in situ as some kind of historical reminder :) and I think it's now been lifted in conjunction with new road/building works.

For a relatively small town Barrow used to have 7 stations :D:D and you could go round in a big circle without even having to pass through Central :)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Whistler40145

Established Member
Northampton to Brackmills?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Or Stratford to North Woolwich

Does any traffic use the line to High Marnham Power Station?

BestWestern

Established Member
Does any metalwork remain in Gosport now, or was the whole lot lifted to build the busway? As well as the main route up to Fareham there were other sections still remaining into former MOD sites at one time ISTR.

Ships

Does any metalwork remain in Gosport now, or was the whole lot lifted to build the busway? As well as the main route up to Fareham there were other sections still remaining into former MOD sites at one time ISTR.

All gone with the busway I belive

Mr Fizz

The branch to the former Coventry colliery (now Prologis Park) is still in situ but I don't think anything has ran along it for years.

Harbornite

Established Member
The branch to the former Coventry colliery (now Prologis Park) is still in situ but I don't think anything has ran along it for years.

I never knew about that line until I discovered it on a recent visit to Coventry. I found out that the last workings to use the line were supplies of bottled water that ceased in 2007 when Daventry was used instead. There used to be a Class 08 at the site, and doing a quick google search has revealed these pics, which I didn't see last time I googled it!

Ron_ProLogis_1.jpg

Ron_60027_ProLogis_Park_23.05.07_6ezz.jpg

http://forum.historiccoventry.co.uk...=3125&q=&member=&cat_id=6&show_cats=all&var1=

37417_Three_Spires_Junction_2008.jpg

http://www.hondawanderer.com/37417_Three_Spires_Junction_2008.htm

Last edited:

matacaster

On Moderation
The Horbury curve still has track in places... but you'd not get anything from end to end apart from a JCB!

Come to think of it, Healey Mills yard would qualify, there's miles of abandoned track there...

...err, I think a lot of it has been lifted.

BestWestern

Established Member
Come to think of it, Healey Mills yard would qualify, there's miles of abandoned track there...

Ever so slightly going off on a tangent, anybody know the story behind the solitary Intercity MK2 that ended up dumped outside the shed at Healey Mills? It appears in the most recent photos of the yard when it was still fully abandoned, and looks like it was the last vehicle left once all the locos were shifted. Seems an odd thing to end up there!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I believe that there's still some track embedded in one of the old level crossings on the Ilfracombe branch. Similarly, one of the roads in Bridport still has rail from the Bridport branch embedded in it.

Northampton to Brackmills?

Or Stratford to North Woolwich

Does any traffic use the line to High Marnham Power Station?

Northampton to Brackmills is gone, believe it was lifted a couple of years ago and now built on in places

thetangoman

Craigendoran Sytation on the West Highland Line has been closed for a considerable time although the station is still open on the North Clyde Line.

Harbornite

Established Member
Craigendoran Sytation on the West Highland Line has been closed for a considerable time although the station is still open on the North Clyde Line.

But the West Highland line isn't closed, so it doesn't count.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
...err, I think a lot of it has been lifted.

Which, the curve or the yard? If the former I acknowledged that in my post, if the latter it seems they're wasting no time returning it to nature!

Ever so slightly going off on a tangent, anybody know the story behind the solitary Intercity MK2 that ended up dumped outside the shed at Healey Mills? It appears in the most recent photos of the yard when it was still fully abandoned, and looks like it was the last vehicle left once all the locos were shifted. Seems an odd thing to end up there!

Could it have been a spares donor for a barrier vehicle conversion perhaps?
I believe that there's still some track embedded in one of the old level crossings on the Ilfracombe branch. Similarly, one of the roads in Bridport still has rail from the Bridport branch embedded in it.

For several years after it closed, there were still rails in a level crossing on the A628 from the Woodhead line. I'd guess it was the mid 1990s before they were removed.

james60059

I never knew about that line until I discovered it on a recent visit to Coventry. I found out that the last workings to use the line were supplies of bottled water that ceased in 2007 when Daventry was used instead. There used to be a Class 08 at the site, and doing a quick google search has revealed these pics, which I didn't see last time I googled it!

08375 in April 2007.

Then November 2008 seen the Industrious Trader railtour visit the branch.

I think track still exists on the Letterston Junction - Trecwn line (situated on the branch line between Clarbeston Road and Fishguard Harbour).

Harbornite

Established Member
I've just thought of another- the Marsh Barton branch in Exeter. Can anyone confirm the status of this line which seems to be unused?

paul1609

Established Member
All gone with the busway I belive
Last time I looked the end of the Bedenham run round loop between Forest Way and the A32 was still in situ. The buffer stops at the end of the Freight Branch and about 1 length of track were still in situ where the cycle track joins the formation near the Gosport Ice Rink.

JohnB57

For several years after it closed, there were still rails in a level crossing on the A628 from the Woodhead line. I'd guess it was the mid 1990s before they were removed.
Not being pedantic, but the only one I recall was the Torside LC on the B6105 between Crowden and Glossop. There was definitely track there until the road was realigned in the nineties.

I don't think the Woodhead line actually crossed the A628 on the level at any point but I'd be interested to be corrected if I'm wrong.

TimNice

Hi, 1st post. Have a line near me; Staines West branch. The track is still in situ for a short distance outside of Staines, although heavily overgrown. As far as I could see the points are still on the Windsor Line leading to where the oil Dept was.

Harbornite

Established Member
Hi, 1st post. Have a line near me; Staines West branch. The track is still in situ for a short distance outside of Staines, although heavily overgrown. As far as I could see the points are still on the Windsor Line leading to where the oil Dept was.

Welcome to the forum.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Not being pedantic, but the only one I recall was the Torside LC on the B6105 between Crowden and Glossop. There was definitely track there until the road was realigned in the nineties.

I don't think the Woodhead line actually crossed the A628 on the level at any point but I'd be interested to be corrected if I'm wrong.

You're right it didn't. There was of course a signal box at Torside LC and on one very wet June afternoon in 1980 two of my friends and I were invited into it. The loops had long gone by that stage.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

You're right it didn't. There was of course a signal box at Torside LC and on one very wet June afternoon in 1980 two of my friends and I were invited into it. The loops had long gone by that stage.

As Richmond says, you were correct- as I was born a few months after Woodhead closed, it's no surprise that I made such a mistake! :oops:

Stan63

The Chalmerston branch south of Ayr is still in situ but unused for many years apart from the small section run by the Ayrshire railway preservation group at Waterside.
Also track still in place off the Glasgow - Kilmarnock line at Lugton towards Defence Munitions Beith although this is now disconnected from the line at Lugton.

Stan

KingDaveRa

East West rail? Don't think that's been mentioned. There's a large chunk from Oxford to Milton Keynes, hence it being reopened (one day, eventually, probably, perhaps).

Harbornite

Established Member
:oops:
East West rail? Don't think that's been mentioned. There's a large chunk from Oxford to Milton Keynes, hence it being reopened (one day, eventually, probably, perhaps).

I'm surprised this one wasn't mentioned earlier, good call.

rower40

The bit of the Continental Main Line from Saltwood Junction past Dollands Moor, to Eurotunnel. Still technically operational, but nothing can use it now that Eurostar has no shoegear.

backontrack

Established Member
How about Lisburn-Antrim, Rosslare-Waterford, Drogheda-Kingscourt and Mullingar-Athlone?

Harbornite

Established Member
How about Lisburn-Antrim, Rosslare-Waterford, Drogheda-Kingscourt and Mullingar-Athlone?

Good suggestions, as long as they are disused or mothballed lines WITH track still in place. I'll look them up later.

Status
Not open for further replies.