• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disused or mothballed railway lines with track still in place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbornite

Established Member
I've noticed a few threads recently about disused stations without tracks and lines without stations etc. This one's a bit different, basically I was wondering how many disused or mothballed railways are there where the track is mostly or completely in situ, but obviously not in use. A couple I can think of are:

Gaerwen- Amlwch
Blaneau Ffestiniog- Trawsfynydd
Round Oak- Walsall
Langley Green- Albright and Wilson
Weymouth tramway
Folkestone Harbour branch
North Somerset line
Cattewater branch (last used in 2014, I'm not actually sure if it's mothballed)
Loanhead line
Moorswater branch (reactivated for freight use)
Ironbridge (again, I'm not sure about this one)
Wolverhampton - Walsall (only the bit by Heath Town)
Sudbrook and Caerwent branches

Feel free to add any more. Disused sidings and yards alongside operational railways don't count.

I've had a good response to my query, and I'll expand the list

Trafford Park lines
St Helens Junction - St Helens Central
Gobowen- Oswestry
Hamworthy Branch
Newton Longville to Claydon Junction (East West Rail)
Saxmundham-Leiston
Horbury Curve
March (Whitemoor) - Wisbech
Seal Sands line
Birkenhead Dock branch
Chatham Dockyard branch
Stoke - Leekbrook Junction.
Barrow in Furness dock line
Elmton & Creswell junction- Clowne
Brierley Hill- Pensnett
The Fleetwood branch.
The Ludgershall branch.
The Heathfield branch.
The old china clay branch at Marsh Mills
Preston- Longridge
North Liverpool Branch
Croxley Green branch (being reopened for Croxley rail link)
Angelsea sidings- Lichfield
Thornton Junction- Methil / Leven
Madeley Chord
Tytherington branch (being reopened for freight use)
Netherfield line
Bloxwich smelter branch
Prologis branch
Marsh Barton branch
Staines West branch
Chalmerston branch
Stratford- North Woolwich
Little Eaton junction - Denby colliery
Willowbrook East industrial Estate, east of Corby
Desborough to Ironstone quarries
Princess Pier line in Greenock

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Y961 XBU

St Helens Junction - St Helens Central line, dont think theres any stations still on there but the track (mostly) is still there!

delt1c

Established Member
If memory serves me correct all that remains of the loanhead branch is a small siding at Millerhill. the rest has heen removed

Scouseinmanc

Ironbridge station site is a large visitors car park, no tracks.

However, at Coalbrookdale there is. Single branch serving Ironbridge Power Station (if that's what you meant?!)

MarkRedon

Newton Longville to Claydon Junction, the mothballed and derelict component of the planned Phase 2 of East West Rail.

Seal Sands line past Port Clarence in Teesside. Untouched past the RR loop since PFs Tyne Tees Rambler railtour in Feb '12

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The Horbury curve still has track in places... but you'd not get anything from end to end apart from a JCB!

Come to think of it, Healey Mills yard would qualify, there's miles of abandoned track there...

cuccir

Established Member
There's a short bit of track alongside the A590 outside the Devonshire Dock Hall in Barrow-in-Furness: see StreetView here. I presume it was once part of the dock system but no idea when it was last used!

Mr Fizz

Wombourne Branch between Brierley Hill and Pensnett still had track when I last looked a couple of years ago.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I thought of these but I'm not sure of their current status:

The Fleetwood branch.
The Ludgershall branch.
The Heathfield branch.
The old china clay branch at Marsh Mills.

Hopefully someone else will know?

JohnR

Heathfield branch. Now the timber traffic is ensconced at Riverside, its unlikely it will be used in the near future. Even passenger excursion traffic wont be able to use it.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Could someone confirm if the freight line from Stourbridge Junction to Walsall is intact eventhough it's blocked off at the Walsall end?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Harbornite

Established Member
Ironbridge station site is a large visitors car park, no tracks.

However, at Coalbrookdale there is. Single branch serving Ironbridge Power Station (if that's what you meant?!)

That's what I meant, yes. There is a very short stretch of rail left at Ironbridge station, where there was once a level crossing (obviously that doesn't count for this).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Wombourne Branch between Brierley Hill and Pensnett still had track when I last looked a couple of years ago.

That's another one I'm familiar with, I'm surprised that I forgot!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Could someone confirm if the freight line from Stourbridge Junction to Walsall is intact eventhough it's blocked off at the Walsall end?

Some track has been removed, at Parkhead Viaduct and a few other spots, and the level crossing at Eagle Lane has been tarmaced over. Other than that, the track is mostly still in place.

Last edited:

ChiefPlanner

Established Member

Some of the track has been stolen in Dudley Tunnel - walked it for work purposes about 10 years ago - almost impassable then with vegetation. i

notlob.divad

Established Member
St Helens Junction - St Helens Central line, dont think theres any stations still on there but the track (mostly) is still there!

Cheers, I forgot about that one, I'll add it to the list.

Track is there for about half the length I believe.

I am not sure how much track if any is left in the Victoria / Wapping tunnels, but I am absolutely convinced there is track on the North Liverpool Branch from Bootle to Aintree.

Harbornite

Established Member
I've just thought of another one, the short branchline to Rugeley Power station. There are no sources of freight traffic left, unless materials are removed from the site by rail in the future and I've read nothing to suggest that this will happen.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
North Mersey branch - Aintree to Bootle still has all its track but us getting a bit overgrown now.

Status
Not open for further replies.