• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disused railway tunnel, Granby, MK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Just read this rather sad article:

https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/our-...isused-milton-keynes-railway-tunnel-1-8779651

A human skull found 50 metres away from a block of council flats could be the subject of a cold case murder investigation.

The remains, unearthed on Monday lunchtime by a member of the public, are understood to be “recent” rather than historic.

Police immediately set up a crime scene at the spot the skull was discovered - in an old 250 metre long tunnel in woodland near Bletchley’s Granby Court.

Anthropologist crime investigators have been called in and Thames Valley Police Major Crime Unit officers appointed to lead the enquiry.

The skull will now be forensically examined for clues and DNA. It is not yet known whether it is male or female and the cause of death is as yet unexplained.

Searches may also be carried out for the rest of the body.

image.jpg

Map showing where the skull was found
It is understood police will be scouring previous unsolved murder or missing person cases from the MK area.

Granby Court is a block of flats, primarily council-owned, that has suffered major problems with anti social behaviour and crime in the past.

Moving away from the sad story itself, I'm intrigued as to why there would be a disused 250m railway tunnel in the location on the map, as it's a good distance away from the railway and at completely the wrong height. Anyone any idea why?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfowkes

My bet is that the paper got it wrong and it's not actually a railway tunnel.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
My bet is that the paper got it wrong and it's not actually a railway tunnel.

I did wonder if they've got the location wrong and it's the Groveway road tunnel under the railway (which isn't totally disused, but is no longer a through road so not many people go up there) that is being talked about. But they do seem specific about it being in the woodland, and that tunnel isn't. It's also not 250m long, it's less than 10-15m (just the formation width i.e. 4 x 2 horses' backsides, two 6's and the 10'). So even if it's not a railway tunnel I'm still intrigued! Could perhaps be an old culvert?

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
There does look to be a clearing before the tunnel, the height would be wrong as the flyover is a new addition (new ish) so track would have been lower 100 odd years ago, so there could have been a branch off to an industrial area to the right.

Will have to dig deeper into this and see what I can find.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There does look to be a clearing before the tunnel, the height would be wrong as the flyover is a new addition (new ish) so track would have been lower 100 odd years ago, so there could have been a branch off to an industrial area to the right.

Will have to dig deeper into this and see what I can find.

Cheers. Though it's further north than the flyover, so that isn't relevant...probably!

This article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denbigh_Hall_railway_station
shows an 1800s photo of the bridge over the Watling St, the area we're talking about is north east of that. It looks exactly as it is now height wise bar the OHLE and narrow pavement/road markings, though a concrete bridge has been added presumably when it was quadrupled.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.0094428,-0.7433137,3a,75y,280.15h,95.42t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1sUeR7-jp-F9idXeexftGUVQ!2e0!6s//geo1.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=UeR7-jp-F9idXeexftGUVQ&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=84.928085&pitch=0&thumbfov=100 shows it now.

EM2

Established Member
Been having a look through old Ordnance Survey and National Grid maps on maps.nls.uk, and can't find any trace of a railway tunnel, or indeed any type of tunnel.
For example, https://maps.nls.uk/view/189238161
The area concerned is the square second from left on the bottom row.

This one from 1885 doesn't seem to show anything either: https://maps.nls.uk/view/102340115

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Been having a look through old Ordnance Survey and National Grid maps on maps.nls.uk, and can't find any trace of a railway tunnel, or indeed any type of tunnel.
For example, https://maps.nls.uk/view/189238161
The area concerned is the square second from left on the bottom row.

Interesting that there used to be a pub just after the bridge - no evidence of that now!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Moving away from the sad story itself, I'm intrigued as to why there would be a disused 250m railway tunnel in the location on the map, as it's a good distance away from the railway and at completely the wrong height. Anyone any idea why?

Granby Court by the Football stadium? Could it be some kind of abortive railway works or a drainage culvert of some kind?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I did wonder that, but I'm intrigued. Almost intrigued enough to go and have a look, but given the circumstances to do so soon would probably seem a bit gruesome.

maybe give it a few days! I am also quite intrigued because it just doesn't seem plausible that it is a railway tunnel. The problem is with a railway line in that direction is that you will soon run into the Grand Union Canal

That the centre of Bletchley used to be the Three Trees/Old Swan mini roundabout is also quite interesting. Shifted towards the station over time...

And then down Queensway to swallow up Fenny Stratford. That 1960's redevelopment of the station area has a lot to answer for ( off topic - Sorry)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
BRAINWAVE: Where was the OLD Bletchley depot?

It is interesting the land is shown in the newspaper report as Network Rail owned. I suspect it must have been "passed down" over the years form various companies to BR to NR

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
With the comment of it being "close to Watling St" I wonder if there is some sort of underpass under the line on the skew (to make it longer) that is indeed now disused, and the arrow on the map is in the wrong place. I can't see one on any map or aerial view, though.

Only thing I can see on a map that it could be is a stream that runs part way across the estate then disappears - possibly culverted? It could well be that they extrapolated from "culvert on Network Rail land" to "disused railway tunnel" perhaps? The stream does run across where the back end (not the point) of the arrow on the aerial view is.

Last edited:

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
it must be a Culvert. surely someone would have mentioned the old railway tunnel behind the football ground before now!

Unless it was a secret war railway tunnel hiding munitions!!! Lets get the conspiracies going!! :)

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
The BBC report it now but only mention "tunnel" no mention of railway, but it does say that railway workers found it? Which would make some assume a railway tunnel I suppose.
And if it isn't a railway tunnel, why were the railway workers there to find it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-engla...letchley/0&link_location=live-reporting-story

A missing man's skull was found by railway workers nearly four years after he disappeared, an inquest heard.

Stephen Keogh's remains were "semi-buried" in "shallow water" in a tunnel in Bletchley, Milton Keynes, on 21 January.

The rest of his skeleton was found 30m down the tunnel nine days later, Milton Keynes Coroner's Court heard.

His body was too decomposed for a cause of death to be established, but drug paraphernalia was found nearby.

Senior Coroner Tom Osborne recorded an open conclusion.

Mr Keogh was last seen alive in May 2015.

The inquest heard an examination of dental records, identified the remains as those of the 38-year-old, from Netherfield, Milton Keynes.

A post-mortem examination showed "no fresh damage to bones, nothing to indicate an assault had taken place and no evidence of dismemberment," Mr Osborne said.

In a statement, Det Con Ian O'Byrne said a syringe and a tie were recovered from the area the skeleton was found, which Mr Osborne said could be related to drug-use.

Mr O'Byrne said: "We are unable to rule out third-party involvement, but there is no tangible evidence to suggest this.

"It would not be reasonable or proportional to investigate third-party involvement.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The mention of "shallow water" would further back up the idea of it being a culvert.

I hadn't noticed it was an old story, being posted in January. Yet BBC Radio have been reporting it today. Odd. I guess the inquest has caused the original story to be raked back up.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
The mention of "shallow water" would further back up the idea of it being a culvert.

I hadn't noticed it was an old story, being posted in January. Yet BBC Radio have been reporting it today. Odd. I guess the inquest has caused the original story to be raked back up.

It does back up that theory. But what where the rail workers doing there? That article creates more questions than it answers.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
If it's railway-owned land, possibly just general grounds maintenance, or inspecting/maintaining the condition of the culvert.

Yeah maybe, but like you said, no sign of a railway ever been there, not particuarlaly close to the railway so why would it be railway land?

My mind wont let this one go!! :lol:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
not particuarlaly close to the railway so why would it be railway land?

there could be all kinds of reasons - and it isn't that far form the line. I suspect the land will have been purchased many years ago for railway works that either never happened or changed and the land was never sold on. Today it wont have much value.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
there could be all kinds of reasons - and it isn't that far form the line. I suspect the land will have been purchased many years ago for railway works that either never happened or changed and the land was never sold on. Today it wont have much value.

Pretty much worth nowt, I expect. You could make a fair few quid if you flattened the nasty block of flats (it really is nasty, up with the worst of MK for social problems and antisocial behaviour) and built a wholly new estate on the whole site, but for that you'd have to buy all the flats up and compensate the leaseholders, as quite a few of them are privately owned now, and it's not a particularly attractive site compared with other available plots in and around MK, as it has a railway on one side and a main road on the other so would be quite noisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.