• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disused Signal boxes which are still standing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robinson102

Wondering if anyone knows of any list of disused, but still standing, signal boxes in the UK?

If there isn't such a list, perhaps we could assemble one, if this is practical?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Strathclyder

Established Member
Can closed Signalling Centers be included here?

If so, Glasgow Central Signalling Center still stands as a familiar marker for passengers coming into Central at Bridge Street Junction, nearly 8 years after closure in December 2008 (replaced by a new Signalling Centre at Cowlairs). The box's NX panel has been saved for preservation.

Millisle

What you want is Signalling Atlas and Signal Box Directory published by the Signalling Record Society. The SRS has compiled all such data in heroic detail.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Barnetby springs to mind

Also, Stallingbrough is disused as a signal box but remains in use as a relay centre - retains its panel for emergency use I understand

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Trent Power Box. Pretty sure that has now closed.

The signal box at Blocklesbury in North Lincs also comes to mind.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There is also the fantastic preserved signal box at St Albans which is open to visitors on certain weekends.

And of course there are the signal boxes at Settle and Armathwaite.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Clayton West Junction, just beyond the end of the Stocksmoor to Shepley passing loop on the Penistone Line, is now a private house (one which I covet!).

TheEdge

Established Member
Wymondham, Spooner Row, Attleborough, Eccles Road, Harling Road, Thetford, Brandon, Lakenheath and Shippea Hill. Or, put simply, all the Breckland Line boxes.

Other Eastern ones that jump to mind. Hoveton & Wroxham, Worsted (I think its a house now), Cromer, Chelmsford, I think Witham (I've always assumed its an old box, not sure).

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Wymondham, Spooner Row, Attleborough, Eccles Road, Harling Road, Thetford, Brandon, Lakenheath and Shippea Hill. Or, put simply, all the Breckland Line boxes.

Other Eastern ones that jump to mind. Hoveton & Wroxham, Worsted (I think its a house now), Cromer, Chelmsford, I think Witham (I've always assumed its an old box, not sure).

Not sure if you can count Wroxham as its not in the same position anymore. Worsted had a coat of paint a few years back, but is no more than a run down shed really. Witham box is now used by PWay.

John Webb

Established Member
.....There is also the fantastic preserved signal box at St Albans which is open to visitors on certain weekends.......
Thanks - we're next open 2-9pm Sat 12th March (chance to see our signal lamps etc at night time) and Sunday 13th March 10am-5pm. (These openings are in connection with the "Big Weekend" concluding English Tourism Week.)

Other dates for 2016 are available on our website:http://www.sigbox.co.uk

6Gman

Established Member
Crewe South Junction still standing 30 years after its replacement by the Signalling Centre.

Mind you, since it was built of reinforced concrete during WW.II to withstand German bombing demolition would be ... a challenge.

Nantwich Station box is now standing next to the Weston Road car park of Crewe Station!

Tio Terry

Woking closed about 20 years ago. It's full of asbestos so they just locked the door and walked away. There are still SB buildings at Clapham and Wimbledon which, I think, are now P.Way mess rooms.

Welly

Lincoln High Street and East Holmes SBs are still standing after the 2008 Lincoln re-signalling made them redundant.

Veteran Member
Holmwood was referenced on the forum not so long ago.
And the Costa by the footbridge on York platform 5 is one of the numerous pre-1951 York signalboxes - it then became the Supervisors' office IIRC.

Mettie2000

Tallington on the ECML, closed about 15+ years ago, but used locally recently to control the crossing when the OHLE came down

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Wye box is still there, albeit looking a bit dishevelled at the moment, as is Canterbury West straddling the tracks.

alxndr

Established Member
Swindon B IECC is still there, as is the very recently closed Swindon Panel is still there of course. Both still have NR staff using parts as mess rooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.