• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disused Signal boxes which are still standing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

colchesterken

Colchester, Eastgates Boarded up cos its listed-needs a new use before is slips into disrepair, but access is difficult

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nippy

Slough IECC still there, refurbished and used as offices for PICOPs.

Slough PSB still there, used as a temporary base for the Hayes MOMs.

Parallel

Established Member
Wellow (on the old line to Bath Green Park station) signal box is still standing, though it is privately owned and has been converted into a residence. The track was lifted (and station closed) years ago.

Laurencew

Bit naughty this one.
I noticed that the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway have not used signal boxes at Keighley and Haworth (Yard) Jc. I am sure they have plans for them.

Also the L&Y 'box at the junction outside Bradford Interchange (Mill Lane?) is still standing and in good order. A very handsome structure it is, perfectly proportioned.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Must be loads, you have got Lansdown at Cheltenham, Princes Risborough, Coventry, Fosseway near Lichfield. Saltley PSB won't get knocked down when it closes in November.

D1009

Established Member
There's a building at Dawlish Warren that looks like an old signal box, but was relatively recently constructed.

Established Member
Here's a Wikipedia entry for listed Scottish signalboxes, some of which are still operational, and some are not.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_boxes_that_are_listed_buildings_in_Scotland

Historic Scotland also has a pdf booklet on the subject that you can download.

My favourite is Waverley West, shown in both and overdue for conversion into a panoramic cafe or similar, very much of its LNER era, with concessions to its surrounding area, and quite similar in its style to the shelters and Ross Bandstand in Princes Street Gardens.

Taunton

Established Member
Bere Alston, box closed 1968, has been there on the abandoned old Up platform for nearly 50 years now. It was repainted not long ago by volunteers and still looks reasonable. All the Up platform buildings and structure is still there, only the Up track is missing. Even the telegraph poles survive.

bramling

Veteran Member
Wondering if anyone knows of any list of disused, but still standing, signal boxes in the UK?

If there isn't such a list, perhaps we could assemble one, if this is practical?

Thanks

Plenty on London Underground, in many cases now in alternative uses. The following list is from memory, and is non-exhaustive. A few of these remain in signalling use, eg unmanned IMRs or space used to house modern SERs.

Queen's Park
West Ruislip
Ealing Broadway
North Acton
White City
Marble Arch
Holborn
Liverpool Street
Bethnal Green
Leytonstone
Newbury Park
Hainault
South Woodford
Woodford
Loughton
Debden
Epping
Edgware (2x)
Colindale (base only)
Hendon Central (base only)
Golders Green
High Barnet (2x, LT and GNR)
Woodside Park (GNR)
Finchley Central
East Finchley (2x, LT and GNR)
Strand
Euston
Clapham Common
Morden
Cockfosters
Oakwood
Arnos Grove
Holborn
Acton Town
Northfields
Boston Manor
Ealing Common
Putney Bridge
Liverpool Street
Farringdon
Baker Street
Latimer Road (in part, if I recall correctly)
Finchley Road
Willesden Green
Neasden South
Neasden North
Wembley Park
Ruislip
Uxbridge
Chorleywood
Waterloo (W&C) - still in use as backup facility

Cobourg Street Service Control Centre (partially stripped)
Leicester Square Regulating Room (empty shell)

steamybrian

Established Member
on the Canterbury West to Minster line the signal box at Chislet Colliery was closed many, many years ago (possible 1970s) but the shell of the building is still standing.
East Croydon signalbox closed in the 1980s but is in use by the p/way depot as offices/stores

class 9

Litteworth and Sleaford North on the joint line. Grove Rd, Sutton, Bathley Lane on ECML. Castleford Gates and Castleford Station.

Last edited:

Townsend Hook

Horsham, East Croydon, Pulborough, Eastbourne (I think), the lower storey of Arundel Junction.

Oh, and Kingscote South on the Bluebell Railway ;)

TDK

Established Member
Baschurch, Crewe Bank, Gresty Lane, The footings of Heswall are still there, I don't know if Mostyn counts as it is open on occasions,

LowLevel

Established Member
Bottesford West Jn remains and is still in use for something related to electrical supply or interlocking, not sure what exactly.

Bingham and Rectory Junction are both closed but in situ, again not sure if Rectory has any live circuits in it, Bingham doesn't.

Leicester PSB is in use as offices.

Stamford box is there but has moved site.

Sheffield PSB I assume will remain when it closes shortly.

The two Nottingham Midland station signal boxes are still there and in use as a traincrew mess room and office space.

Worksop East box still stands.

Elmton and Creswell is semi permanently switched out but has been known to open very occasionally, presumably by a MOM or similar.

Romiley Junction and Rainhill boxes are also still there.

TheEdge

Established Member
There's a building at Dawlish Warren that looks like an old signal box, but was relatively recently constructed.

Fairly sure that isn't an old box but is infact a new house (?) built to look like a box.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Woolston has a disused signal box on the up (Southampton bound) platform. Looks to be in a pretty poor condition.

Also Botley, another poor condition redundant box in the same general area.

Last edited:

noddingdonkey

Bit naughty this one.
I noticed that the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway have not used signal boxes at Keighley and Haworth (Yard) Jc. I am sure they have plans for them.

I thought the box at Keighley was in use to allow locos to run around and access to NR metals?

Is Knaresborough box still operational? I know there were plans to replace the semaphores and decommission the box, but as it's listed I guess it will still be standing.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
The 1930s-style Southern box at Richmond was still there this afternoon; I believe it's been disused for quite some time.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Caersws Station Box is still standing, complete with the frame extant.
Forden Station Box has been restored by the person who owns the old station.

lincolnshire

I thought the box at Keighley was in use to allow locos to run around and access to NR metals?

Is Knaresborough box still operational? I know there were plans to replace the semaphores and decommission the box, but as it's listed I guess it will still be standing.

Yes Knaresborough is still there and in working order as was only at the station the other week. Harrogate to Leeds side has had the signalling update and has removed Rigton Signal Box.

The renewal of the York to Harrogate section also depends on the reinstatement of the that section of line back to double track to increase train capacity and signalling up grade will remove all them maned crossings in that section, a very expensive few miles of track to operate.

Once described by some manager as his own toy train set.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Howden is another listed signal box still there but not in a wonderful state of repair.

LowLevel

Established Member
A most interesting example for me is Fiskerton Junction Crossing keeper's box - no, I've not got confused with Fiskerton Station crossing box, but I was genuinely interested to find the little building on the Nottingham side of main box is a crossing box with its own frame to operate the crossing with the main box switched out, sadly now practically derelict so I assume it's been a long time since it was last used. I'd always assumed it was a lamp hut or similar. Apparently it was operated as required for many years by a lady who lived nearby.

A little research indicates it even has it's own name - Morton Crossing Ground Frame.

Last edited:

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Over in West Anglia land, St Margaret's (Herts), Broxbourne, Cheshunt and Hackney Downs are all still in situ, though signalling is now controlled from Liverpool Street IECC.

341o2

Established Member
Brockenhurst on the national network

Instow preserved but unlikely ever to see trains again

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Mention of Sheffield PSB reminds me of Leeds PSB, which is no longer in use (now Leeds panel at York ICC if that's the correct acronym) but unfortunately IMHO the building that housed it still stands, being the Marples era carbuncle above the 1960s concourse!

John Webb

Established Member

The box at Keighley near the turntable is about to be worked on and commissioned, I understand. At present ground frames are used to run round locomotives and connect to NR metals.

There is another box at Keighley which is disused but still in NR hands, just by the road bridge but on the opposite side to the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.