• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disused Signal boxes which are still standing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RPM

Established Member
Has Stourbridge Junction been mentioned? It serves as the Chiltern Railways drivers' booking on point and mess room.

Elecman

Established Member
If we're going down to that level (!) so does the bottom half of Thorpes Bridge box, Manchester ...

Isn't that the bottom half of the replacement Thorpes Bridge box as I'm sure the original one between the tracks was fully demolished?

I would now add Rochester (not for long), Gillingham (Kent), Rainham (Kent) and Sittingbourne to that list

Paul

kevconnor

Am I right in thinking there is one still standing at Vitriol Works? I am assuming since the works have long since gone and all associated junctions around Middleton and Chadderton that this box, if standing, would be long out of use.

John Webb

Established Member
Am I right in thinking there is one still standing at Vitriol Works? I am assuming since the works have long since gone and all associated junctions around Middleton and Chadderton that this box, if standing, would be long out of use.
It was still standing in 2012 and in use then, according to the list of surviving boxes in M Vann's 2nd edition of "Signalboxes", published by Ian Allan in 2013.

Last edited:

Francis

Yes, the box is still there, and it's recorded as continuously open in the Compendium of Signal Box Opening Times.

Presumably it links to the new Rochdale West box, and to the Manchester North Signalling Centre, and possibly Bagueley Fold on the Ashton line from Miles Platting. Maybe someone better informed can confirm or deny this....

Apparently the manufacture of sulphuric acid nearby had ceased quite a bit before 1898, according to an article in the Manchester Evening News some years ago:

THE Middleton Guardian of 13 August 1898 contains the following report. "The Works, which at one time were a flourishing industry at Middleton Junction, known for miles around as the 'Vitriol Works' owned by messrs Hannibal Becker and Co, are at present in a crumbling condition and are occupied by a caretaker.

The box is more modern, I would guess a BR 1950's type.

Elecman

Established Member
Yes, the box is still there, and it's recorded as continuously open in the Compendium of Signal Box Opening Times.

Presumably it links to the new Rochdale West box, and to the Manchester North Signalling Centre, and possibly Bagueley Fold on the Ashton line from Miles Platting. Maybe someone better informed can confirm or deny this....

Apparently the manufacture of sulphuric acid nearby had ceased quite a bit before 1898, according to an article in the Manchester Evening News some years ago:

THE Middleton Guardian of 13 August 1898 contains the following report. "The Works, which at one time were a flourishing industry at Middleton Junction, known for miles around as the 'Vitriol Works' owned by messrs Hannibal Becker and Co, are at present in a crumbling condition and are occupied by a caretaker.

The box is more modern, I would guess a BR 1950's type.

It links to Castleton East not Rochdale West

snakeeyes

Aberdour in Fife, I have the "private" sign from the door as a souvenir, when I was small I used to go into it and get to try and operate the distance signal (with permission)

Francis

It links to Castleton East not Rochdale West

Many thanks. Interesting. The new Rochdale West box is only about 100 yds across the tracks from Castleton East. Will it eventually take over Castleton East's functions, or will Castleton East be left for the East Lancashire Railway's connection to Bury?

I see from the Quail diagrams that Rochdale West controls only up to Smithy Bridge, where it hands over to Preston Power Signalling, which controls the entire line via Blackburn and Burnley to Todmorden and as far as Whitley viaduct towards Hebden Bridge. Why did they bother to build a new box at Rochdale West? Won't it soon be redundant, its functions taken over by Manchester?

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
Many thanks. Interesting. The new Rochdale West box is only about 100 yds across the tracks from Castleton East. Will it eventually take over Castleton East's functions, or will Castleton East be left for the East Lancashire Railway's connection to Bury?

I see from the Quail diagrams that Rochdale West controls only up to Smithy Bridge, where it hands over to Preston Power Signalling, which controls the entire line via Blackburn and Burnley to Todmorden and as far as Whitley viaduct towards Hebden Bridge. Why did they bother to build a new box at Rochdale West? Won't it soon be redundant, its functions taken over by Manchester?

Rochdale East had to go to fit Metrolink in, but GMPTE wouldn't pay to resignal Castleton as well (it has some "legacy issues") so Rochdale West was built on the nearest bit of land available. It, and Castleton and Vitriol (which fringes to Manchester ROC now Manchester North has been transferred) will go to the ROC at some point, but probably only when Preston goes over, currently rumoured to be 2027 (Vitriol, Castleton and Rochdale West aren't a full workstation on their own).

Francis

Discovered two more:

Coton North on the Shrewsbury to Crewe line, not far out of Shrewsbury. Forms part of a house but still beside the railway.
Cefn Jc near Aberkenfig on the line from Margam to Tondu. It's in a park area.

RPM

Established Member
This website has 38 photos of about 35 disused boxes:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/tagged/Signal+box+(disused)

Includes the ruins of the box by the Belah Viaduct (Stainmore), Severn Bridge station, Abercynon, Tintern, Awre (Glos), Maiden Newton, Tisbury, Talyllyn N Jc.....

I can't get that link to work, but does anyone know if Severn Bridge Station box still exists? I photographed it in 1989 but I've never seen a more recent shot.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rpmarks/2877278004/in/photolist-5ofNvs-dKGCy8-5ko1sp-ci3PRu-dtwSk8

Shinkansenfan

It looks like the signal box at Wye Station (one of my favorite country stations), one stop away from Ashford, Kent is closed.

I remember years ago when it was staffed.

John Webb

Established Member

Wolverhampton PSB is still standing. Also Crewe North (part of the Heritage Center) and Narborough

Status
Not open for further replies.