• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disused Station at Greenford

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarltonA

My train was diverted via Old Oak and West Ealing back in 1989 due to an accident. As we went through the Greenford area I think there was an abandoned station consisting of a concrete platform. Was this called Greenford Junction or some such? Is it still there? I have been on the Greenford branch and also on the Chiltern service to Paddington but clould not see far down the chord.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eagle

Established Member
Was it near any Central line stations (which should have been visible from the train)? North Acton, Hangar Lane and Perivale all once had platforms on the mainline.

Metrailway

My train was diverted via Old Oak and West Ealing back in 1989 due to an accident. As we went through the Greenford area I think there was an abandoned station consisting of a concrete platform. Was this called Greenford Junction or some such? Is it still there? I have been on the Greenford branch and also on the Chiltern service to Paddington but clould not see far down the chord.

Pretty sure you mean the main line platforms at Greenford on the New North Main Line. There were still two platforms on the Main Line extant in 1989 at Greenford, with a few sidings for cement traffic also present.

CarltonA

Thanks for the replies. It was not the old Greenford mainline station that I was referring to but a platform on the chord from the NNML connecting to the Greenford branch running towards West Ealing.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The only matter that my researches have revealed, with mention being made of the Greenford branch line to West Ealing, was this was opened in 1903. In the same year, a station was erected near to the chord you describe to service the Royal Agricultural show that was held from 15th June to 4th July 1903 in the grounds of the Twyford Abbey Estate. This station was given the name Park Royal and Twyford Abbey, which closed in 1931.

Last edited:

CarltonA

I think I have read about the agricultural grounds, something about QPR playing there for a while comes to mind. Perhaps I have got muddled up somehow. It could have been South Greenford I saw as I was not famililiar with these lines at the time. It is a rare curve mainly used to turn stuff from Old Oak depot nowadays I believe.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Perhaps I have got muddled up somehow. It could have been South Greenford I saw as I was not familiar with these lines at the time.

As I said in my earlier posting, although the Greenford branch line opened in 1903, but the station on the line you now mention was originally called South Greenford Halt and was not opened until September 1926.

It retained that name until the new name of South Greenford station was applied in May 1969.

Status
Not open for further replies.