• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disused station Tours

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulo

Does anyone else think it's a real shame LU have stopped their tours of disused stations such as Aldwych, Down street etc...I have always been keen to visit one of these sites and recently contacted LT regarding this issue but received a negative response obviously because of H&S and the fact of security has anyone actually been on one of these tours?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom B

Established Member
They were stopped in 2000, IIRC the main reason cited was H&S. At least initially they had a 'waiting list' you could be on, but this was disbanded shortly after when it was decided to permanently discontinue them rather than it just being temporary.

The people to contact would be the LTM, I don't know if things have changed since.

Of course if you have shedloads of money and want to film, it's no problem... ho hum.

compsci

I'd give things a bit ti develop. The LTM have got very good at arm twisting of late, the most obvious example being the 38ts tour tomorrow, which is expected to be the first of many (words of the director of the museum). They have discovered that such tours can be a massive cash cow, and I expect that they will do everything they can to milk it.

paulo

I really hope so alot of the original sites that I visited have now been demolished was gutted about Wood Lane went there to get some shots of the old station building and all I got was a building site!!!!! I do agree though it would be a huge money spinner, though the prospect of paying £1000 p/h to film would put me off.

Tom B

Established Member
Quite a few are, IIRC, listed buildings.

Besides, ISTR reading somewhere that Aldwych now covers its upkeep costs through filming work?

paulo

Glad to hear it I think I have probabily found most of the stations of their former sites obv some are in better condition than others I just found it difficult to get pictures of the original platforms due to these restrictions.

DavyCrocket

Aldwych (and maybe the Jubilee platforms at Charing X)are the only one that are ever likely to see "tours", Down Street for starters is used as stores for the Infraco's and the disued areas of many stations are now storerooms or mess rooms for staff or contractors

paulo

I did read that Brompton Road was the best preserved one in terms of early stations nice to see Wood Lane was saved well the facade at least, does anyone know why Charing X was closed on the Jubilee?

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Yep. The original plan was to extend the line beyond Charing Cross via a different route (I forget where to), hence the reason why the overrun tunnels at Charing Cross are so long (almost reaching Aldwych IIRC). However, when the Jubilee extension finally got round to being built, they chose a different route and continuing to serve Charing Cross wasn't practical.

paulo

Great stuff, Im doing a bit of reseach on disused stations at the moment so is always nice to pickup little facts like this to add so many thanks for the help as I mentioned earlier my only issue is that of pictures.

Jordy

Established Member
AFAIK they decided to abandon Charing Cross after they found that the curves in order for the extension to join its chosen path would be too severe, and cause too much of a time penalty.

Established Member
AFAIK they decided to abandon Charing Cross after they found that the curves in order for the extension to join its chosen path would be too severe, and cause too much of a time penalty.

Jordy that last sentence you got from the video125 video of the Jubilee line , speaking of closed lines in the metro sence theres the closed Staines west line which ive been too before nice little place!:smile:

paulo

I don't suppose anyone knows where I get get some pictures of Charing cross for my site?

paulo

definately it would be a huge money spinner as already mentioned plus I think it would be a big hit with LU enthusiast sad they stopped them in 2004.

paulo

A valid point but do you think they would benefit in the long run? would it be a great addition to the existing museum? as well as preserve a little of bye-gone London.

Status
Not open for further replies.