• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Diversions due to line closures in the Bristol area (August 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annetts key

Established Member
East Depot Goods Loop is being used for in-service reversals

But you won't be able to board a specific service to tick it off. We're using that and the Up Main to reverse. We may be booked in one but given the other so there would be no way of knowing before getting on
The services that are using either East Depot Goods Loop or the adjacent area of the Up Main to reverse are the CrossCountry services and the occasional Bristol Parkway to Bristol Temple Meads ‘shuttle’.

These pictures from https://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/signalling/bristoltm#T_BRSTLTM from yesterday shows two such reversals:
CA85ABFE-5084-4BE0-8B28-01B53044FDBB.jpeg95B0AC87-9062-48F5-A964-F92ADC52BA45.jpeg866FAEEE-7282-4426-95AB-9CD7AB17057B.jpeg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tiptoptaff

Established Member

-Colly405-

Not that they are in passenger service, but are the Severn Beach - Lawrence Hill shuttles using it too, or are they only going as far as the Rhubarb reversible?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Not that they are in passenger service, but are the Severn Beach - Lawrence Hill shuttles using it too, or are they only going as far as the Rhubarb reversible?

They are going round the curve to East Depot and returning right road.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
:oops: I was not aware it is hourly :oops:
Hourly from 0600ish-2300ish

Our diagrams have about 8 round trips in. 16 headcodes. 32changes of end

It's been fun so far...!

They are going round the curve to East Depot and returning right road.
And also using the Up Main.

All shunts booked out to East Depot/North Somerset can use either shunt and we've been instructed to take whichever one is offered at Lawrence Hill/Feeder Bridge

Freight for Bristol freightliner depot and portbury via Westbury? Cant see that.

Noticed the Portbury aggregate train didn’t run today so it’s probably on ice for now then.
Most freight will go via Westbury around the Bristol Loops, Bathampton, Westbury and onwards from there.

The Severnside binliner can run as booked as that goes round the Rhubarb and via Bath anyway.

Anything for Portbury and the old IM terminal would need to come via Bath or run round in East Depot, which wouldn't be possible during the day as both the UM and East Depot are seeing about 5/6 trains an hour reversing there.

So it runs at night or goes via Bath and Westbury to face the right way. Much easier to run round south of Bristol than around Bristol itself.

And that's not forgetting that the "high number" half of the station and line to St Anne's tunnel will be closed for a few weeks during the block. During this time, I'd expect all freight to be diverted away from Bristol completely, unless its going to Portbury or the IM terminal. Binliner at a guess via Hullavington and round the Henbury Loop, running around in Holsemouth sidings

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Well, they may be route cleared, but the driver of the 12xx CDF - GMV refused to take it further than WOF as there is no walkway at Malvern Wells!

Trains have reversed and changed ends there day in and day out for years upon years including Gloucester drivers themselves.

Last edited:

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Trains have reversed and changed ends there day in and day out for years upon years.
And?

No safe walking route, no take the train. This isn't the 80s any more. We actually care about our safety, as do our reps.

Simple.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Trains have reversed and changed ends there day in and day out for years upon years.
It appears the train is booked to reverse at Malvern Wells. Is the platform there too short to accommodate a 2+4 HST perhaps?

Reason given for the part cancellation is "This service was cancelled between Worcester Foregate Street and Great Malvern due to an issue with the train crew (TG)".

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Not every train requires a walking route to change ends.

Chosen your post to quote, mostly as I was struggling to decide whose post to use, also because I'm intrigued by yours. I'd imagine a walking route is not mandatory if the train is a corridor connection MU, but I am curious as to what requires a safe walking route. As might be obvious, I don't have a big knowledge on this sort of thing.

Distance between running lines was my first guess, then I figured with Malvern Wells it could well be that to change ends requires walking along the ballast (never seen an alternative when passing, not that I often look) and that's not a pleasant idea. I think on the other side it's doable along the grassy bit, but it could also be overgrown at the moment. Not that it's ideal in normal circumstances anyway!

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Chosen your post to quote, mostly as I was struggling to decide whose post to use, also because I'm intrigued by yours. I'd imagine a walking route is not mandatory if the train is a corridor connection MU, but I am curious as to what requires a safe walking route. As might be obvious, I don't have a big knowledge on this sort of thing.

Distance between running lines was my first guess, then I figured with Malvern Wells it could well be that to change ends requires walking along the ballast (never seen an alternative when passing, not that I often look) and that's not a pleasant idea. I think on the other side it's doable along the grassy bit, but it could also be overgrown at the moment. Not that it's ideal in normal circumstances anyway!
If at any point we need to leave the train to change ends - so things like a HST, non-corridor stock in multiple, locos etc, we need to have a safe, authorised walking route provided in order to do so safely.

As examples, we've had temporary ones installed alongside the Up Main and East Depot Goods Loop for the reversals discussed here.

It's to ensure that the risk of doing so, especially in the dark/wind/rain etc is minimised as much as possible. Its one thing to get down on ballast and walk in an emergency or during unit fault finding when it's unplanned and no other option is available, it's quite another to do it regularly.

Also as you alluded to, with other lines in close proximity, it ensures you're always in a "position of safety" and don't really need to worry about walking around amongst passing trains on live running lines

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks for the swift reply. Completely agreed with all of that, I wouldn't want to be climbing down onto the ballast in strong winds blowing the rain into my field of vision, just to change ends of a train! So I totally agree with having a sensible walking route available.

I do wonder how it used to happen in years gone by with 2+8 HSTs terminating at Great Malvern, although I suspect that was more a case of 'well it's the ballast or nothing' which has finally been actioned against. I also seem to have this weird memory of such reversals happening on the running line, not in the sidings, back then. That could just be a false memory though.

It appears the train is booked to reverse at Malvern Wells. Is the platform there too short to accommodate a 2+4 HST perhaps?
There is no platform. Its a case of get out and walk.
Of course, this issue could be averted if trains were able to enter the Loop at Malvern Wells (with a walkway provided), back out and use a crossover onto the up line. But of course when they renewed the points at the Wells they stuck the crossover inside the loop area if you understand that, and this cant be done.
I also seem to have this weird memory of such reversals happening on the running line, not in the sidings, back then. That could just be a false memory though.
They may have happened on the sidings back then but these days anything else that is too long for the signal section proceeds onto the single track to change end, examples of which are the NMT or whatever covers for it such as a pair of 37's.

I know this isn't directly related to the forum title but just giving answers :)

Dai Corner

Established Member
There is no platform. Its a case of get out and walk.
Of course, this issue could be averted if trains were able to enter the Loop at Malvern Wells (with a walkway provided), back out and use a crossover onto the up line. But of course when they renewed the points at the Wells they stuck the crossover inside the loop area if you understand that, and this cant be done.

They may have happened on the sidings back then but these days anything else that is too long for the signal section proceeds onto the single track to change end, examples of which are the NMT or whatever covers for it such as a pair of 37's.

I know this isn't directly related to the forum title but just giving answers :)
Thanks. I'm not familiar with the area and didn't realise a walk along the ballast was required until you and a previous poster told us.

It appears, looking at RTT, that Monday's and Tuesday's train crews completed the move as booked.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Thanks. I'm not familiar with the area and didn't realise a walk along the ballast was required until you and a previous poster told us.

It appears, looking at RTT, that Monday's and Tuesday's train crews completed the move as booked.
Indeed, and it may be the case that after they've done it and gone back to depot and had a chat with someone about it, should there be a walking route, should I have done it etc it's come to light there isn't one and it was refused on the Wednesday.

Now of course, not every driver will refuse it, some will just do it and get on with it. But that unfortunately makes our jobs harder. We all need to be refusing to do things that we shouldn't.

Appears to all be units up to GMV today

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I wouldn't be surprised, apparently there is only a very small number of Gloucester drivers that have sufficient knowledge/training that enables them to take a 255 to GMV.
Yep. And Bristol is struggling as covid has put 2+4 training way behind and lots are being used on Tauntons and Westons, so the GCR signing 2+4drivers are working to Weston with units on the Malvern. They'd diagrammed units on the weston, the lower link drivers could work them, freeing up drivers to go to GCR on 2+4s or work other trains freeing up GCR crews to go to GMV

And three 2+4s on PM with nothing to do!
No available drivers. But useful as there's 2+4courses on this week

Last edited:
They'd diagrammed units on the weston, the lower link drivers could work them, freeing up drivers to go to GCR on 2+4s or work other trains freeing up GCR crews to go to GMV
So is there a long term plan to regularly send 2+4s's to GMV, or is the training just for odd jobs like at present or an emergency allocation?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
So is there a long term plan to regularly send 2+4s's to GMV, or is the training just for odd jobs like at present or an emergency allocation?
Couldn't tell you.

More and more have been heading to GCR. But not that many.

Originally they were to be exclusively on Cardiff-Taunton/South West so who knows

Status
Not open for further replies.