• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Diversions due to line closures in the Bristol area (August 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annetts key

Established Member
Trust me its much quicker than walking! Having done these moves at 10mph (the official speed of the BGAL) it makes all the moves on depot we do at 5mph feel very slow!!

Oh, yes, of course walking the 1 mile 8 chains (total length from North Somerset Junction to Bristol West Junction) does take a lot longer (not that I’ve actually done the whole length in one go mind).

But normally, when on a passenger train passing over a section where I’ve walked it, the difference (due to the speed of the train) is so big, that blink and you miss what it took you minutes to walk…

I hadn't appreciated how large the site is until I went through a few weeks ago.

Here’s a Google Map link

Then you can see the size from above ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tiptoptaff

Established Member
A driver will know better than me, but I am fairly sure that is the only way it can be accessed from FIlton as the only direct access to SPM from there is via the Down Filton Relief (i.e. platform lines at LWH) then the Up/Down Loop (westernmost of the two lines) at Roobarb.
That's correct. Need to be on the Down Filton Relief at Lawrence Hill. As a result, we have to go over to the Relief lines at Horfield, just after Filton. Can also do it from the Up Filton Relief, but that move is on a GPL so can't be done in passenger service

Status
Not open for further replies.