• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Diversions due to line closures in the Bristol area (August 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

43 302

Established Member
Castles cannot always work where conventional HSTs can, Paddington as an example. If they haven't been already, they would still have to be cleared to work between Foregate St and Great Malvern
They are already cleared to GMV. They are also cleared to Swansea now, yet one hasn't been so far.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If they were not cleared to Great Malvern, then there would not be signs up for the stop position marked "2+4 HST".

As for these diversions, I fully expect to be on one of the morning runs to Weston-super-Mare on the 11th of August. I don't do track these days, but this is a special exception. I may never get another chance to do this!

If it's a GTi HST then happy days, if it's not then c'est la vie. The track is what matters, it could be a Merseyrail seated Pacer as far as I'm concerned, I'd still do it for the track. My mission is to add in some cycling while in the area, so it's a two birds one stone situation for me :D

Old Shire

Thanks for all the info. I haven't done a trip for quite awhile and this is my plan

SHH 0749

SRD 0811

LWH 0816

LWH 0837

SRD 0839

BPW 0849

BPW 0915

WSB 1013

WSB 1029

BPW 1138

BPW 1214

WSB 1313

WSB 1329

BPW 1439

BPW 1530

SRD 1540

SRD 1550

SHH 1608

and all for the price of a freedom ticket

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Thanks for all the info. I haven't done a trip for quite awhile and this is my plan

SHH 0749

SRD 0811

LWH 0816

LWH 0837

SRD 0839

BPW 0849

BPW 0915

WSB 1013

WSB 1029

BPW 1138

BPW 1214

WSB 1313

WSB 1329

BPW 1439

BPW 1530

SRD 1540

SRD 1550

SHH 1608

and all for the price of a freedom ticket
What day is this for?

If this is for tomorrow, (and so follows any week day) I'm working the 0722l1 ex SVB so would be the closest train to your times, and they don't match

There's only any hourly service during the works, and they're all xx35 from Shire

voyagerdude220

Established Member
There were a few delays at the start of service this morning in the Bristol Temple Meads area, owing to a shortage of staff (I'm guessing Drivers?) resulting in congestion at St Phillip's Marsh depot.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
There were a few delays at the start of service this morning in the Bristol Temple Meads area, owing to a shortage of staff (I'm guessing Drivers?) resulting in congestion at St Phillip's Marsh depot.

Yeah there's some major crew shortages in and around Bristol which look set to continue for the next week.

Peter749

What day is this for?

If this is for tomorrow, (and so follows any week day) I'm working the 0722l1 ex SVB so would be the closest train to your times, and they don't match

There's only any hourly service during the works, and they're all xx35 from Shire
I'm guessing it is for the diversions via St Philips Mrsh H S T D from 09 August.

I have followed this thread from the start ( I think) and have checked RTT. Am I right in thinking that the only dates that Cross Country are diverted via Bath and Westbury is from Monday 9th August for just one week. Confirmation would be appreciated

Pokelet

2E74 1800 CDF GMV ran with 43171 43188, saw it go through Henwick at about half 8 this evening. Really nice to see them back this way.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Freight for Bristol freightliner depot and portbury via Westbury? Cant see that.

Noticed the Portbury aggregate train didn’t run today so it’s probably on ice for now then.
The Rhubarb is too busy during the day at the moment. Westbury or nothing. Odd one running at night.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Regarding the diversion through St Phillips Marsh, does anybody know the exact dates please?

I have had a look at the GWR website, and it seems that the only map that shows Filton Abbey Wood - Bedminster is the works that run from the end of August into September.

pdeaves

Established Member
Regarding the diversion through St Phillips Marsh, does anybody know the exact dates please?

I have had a look at the GWR website, and it seems that the only map that shows Filton Abbey Wood - Bedminster is the works that run from the end of August into September.
Select the appropriate date and it pops open with a diagram. The St Philips Marsh (single 'l'!) diversions show for 9-13 August. Interestingly a leaflet shows them for 31 August to 3 September, too, with diagram but the website has it only in the text for those dates, not the accompanying diagram.

zero

Apart from Dr Days to North Somerset Jn and St Philips Marsh are there any other rare tracks that will be used in passenger service?

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Select the appropriate date and it pops open with a diagram. The St Philips Marsh (single 'l'!) diversions show for 9-13 August. Interestingly a leaflet shows them for 31 August to 3 September, too, with diagram but the website has it only in the text for those dates, not the accompanying diagram.

Thank you very much.

Has the 31 August - 3 September diversion actually been confirmed yet?

PeterY

Established Member
I'm looking at doing this rare line. Is London to Weston, via Bristol parkway, a permitted route, or require two tickets? I don't want to go down the road of advances because I don't know what I'm doing that week yet (9th to 13th Aug) but use super off peak returns.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I'm looking at doing this rare line. Is London to Weston, via Bristol parkway, a permitted route, or require two tickets? I don't want to go down the road of advances because I don't know what I'm doing that week yet (9th to 13th Aug) but use super off peak returns.
There is no problem with going from London to Weston-super-Mare via Swindon / Bristol Parkway from a routeing perspective.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Perfectly valid. The Routeing Guide will have you believe that most passengers want to travel that way - after all, it's the shortest route! :lol:

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Apart from Dr Days to North Somerset Jn and St Philips Marsh are there any other rare tracks that will be used in passenger service?
East Depot Goods Loop is being used for in-service reversals

But you won't be able to board a specific service to tick it off. We're using that and the Up Main to reverse. We may be booked in one but given the other so there would be no way of knowing before getting on

ValleyLines142

Established Member
What makes it possible on the first and last service? There is no need for a GWR HST to be north of the blockade whilst it is in place - eg no Cardiff to Bristol element of Taunton services.
There is a Castle HST on Gloucester to Cardiff services today.

Seems to be a fair split between 158s and 166s too. I work at Gloucester station and I've never seen such a variety over the last few days (even had a pair of TfW 153s here yesterday!).

Status
Not open for further replies.