• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DLR delays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lifelong

After 10 months of almost no delays on the daily commute, it’s now been a week of ‘minor delays’ (must be stretching that definition) following last week’s meltdown. Most uncharacteristic and unwelcome…

Would any forumites know when (presumably) the electrical works to restore Good Service might be forthcoming?

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
I can’t answer your question but did find it interesting that Woolwich Arsenal -Bank trains seem to be diverted to Mudchute. I bet whoever decided Mudchute needed the bay platform is feeling pretty smug now

theking

They need a new transformer

Lead time is mid April earliest for delivery then needs installation and testing.

They can only have 6 trains between Poplar/ West India Quay and Bank/ Tower Gateway.

Emergency timetable incoming looking like 7th Feb start.

Lifelong

They need a new transformer

Lead time is mid April earliest for delivery then needs installation and testing.

They can only have 6 trains between Poplar/ West India Quay and Bank/ Tower Gateway.

Emergency timetable incoming looking like 7th Feb start.
Thank you. Much appreciated…

I wonder why there’s a complete comms blackout on this (for me until I asked on here, and thanks for the explanations). Lots of people are being impacted and nothing by way of explanation on the stations and a constant ‘minor delays’ on the tfl website. Great though Mudchute might be, it’s not where eg Canning Town to Bank passengers want to go. Find not explaining this to the public quite odd

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Reading the status update the trains which would normally be Bank - Woolwich are getting diverted towards Mudchute to use the bay platform rather than going into Bank?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
Our DLR normally works to a very high performance level, but I am afraid when it does go wrong they have form in not admitting it, either locally or at the top TfL level. Diverting the Woolwich-Bank trains to Mudchute keeps pretty much the same length of journey time and thus avoids changing the diagrams significantly, which seems the principal concern rather than passenger convenience. It seems also that the Lewisham-Bank run has been cut back to every 10 minutes rather than every 5, and is notably crowded. However, if there can only be a limited number of trains at the west end, there's little opportunity to do anything else. I haven't been through on a Woolwich train doing this, but I hope they are telling people to change at Canary Wharf for Bank rather than Poplar, avoiding changing twice, and where you can normally walk through a Stratford terminating train wholly on the level.

Mudchute has a dreary little park, a fine view of the Canary Wharf high rises in the distance, and ... that's about it.

A previous lack of communication was on Millennium night itself, December 31 1999, when a complete power failure on the west end (quite possibly the same transformer which now, 22 years later, has finally blown up) from about 23.30 left trains stranded mid-section on the viaduct between Limehouse and Tower Gateway/Bank, and as we (enforced) walked home at about 2am along Cable Street next to the line, visiting each station to see what was going on, we passed darkened inbound stalled trains full of fed-up passengers who had now missed all the festivities. Next morning TfL and Mayor Livingston trumpeted how wonderfully the Underground and buses had managed through the event, completely glossing over this breakdown, so all the media did as well. It took a post from me some years ago on here to find an engineer of the time who described what had happened.

Last edited:

Termy

I hope they are telling people to change at Canary Wharf for Bank rather than Poplar
I noticed that the messaging on the PIS did indeed say change at Canary Wharf when I walked passed my local station on Friday. I was a little confused, because it does usually say Poplar! This thread has been enlightening, because I've not needed to use the DLR for about a week, so I had no idea things had gone wrong!

Smod

Information about this does seem very low-key. My (limited) experience so far is this - on Woolwich Arsenal to Mudchute trains:
- no posters ar announcements at stations
- "mentioned" on the "next train" signs on the platforms - "change at Canary Wharf"
- not mentioned on the train announcements except after Poplar - with the option to change at West India Quay being offered as well as Canary Wharf

The Lewisham to Bank service seems to be still running every 5 minutes not 10 so there seem to be 3 trains every 10 minutes over the section between Westferry and Shadwell instead of the usual 4 ( 2 Lewisham to Bank and 1 Beckton to Tower Gateway).

Generally the DLR runs like clockwork so trains are almost always on time but over the last week I have noticed a more irregular pattern - the current timetable pattern looks under considerable strain.

MCR247

Established Member
Despite my earlier comment about the Mudchute bay, you’d think it’d be easier to turn them at Crossharbour and use the reversing siding (assuming it can take 3 cars) instead of having them disrupt Lewisham - Bank runs by having them cross over to get to the bay at Mudchute, so I imagine there’s something preventing it (maybe needing extra staff to confirm each train is clear before it reverses. or the time this would take meaning it’d just delay trains headed towards Lewisham instead of from)

Kite159

Veteran Member
The member of staff on a Mudchute bound service today did encourage passengers for stations beyond Mudchute to change at Crossharbour for a same platform change. Just in case they boarded it at Canary Wharf/South Quay without noticing it wasn't for Lewisham.

Lifelong

Not that it makes much difference to the actual service, but I see TFL have changed the service status from the Minor Delays of the last 10 days to ‘Special Service’….which I guess is more accurate…

E16 Cyclist

It does seem ridiculous that they’ve cut back the Woolwich service completely but still maintain a Lewisham service frequency of every five minutes when having a Woolwich and a Lewisham every ten minutes would be a lot fairer as Woolwich services are busy in their own right. It does send a message that Lewisham customers are more important than Woolwich ones

Unless of course it’s purely for operational convenience which isn’t much of a consolation

alholmes

Despite my earlier comment about the Mudchute bay, you’d think it’d be easier to turn them at Crossharbour and use the reversing siding (assuming it can take 3 cars) instead of having them disrupt Lewisham - Bank runs by having them cross over to get to the bay at Mudchute, so I imagine there’s something preventing it (maybe needing extra staff to confirm each train is clear before it reverses. or the time this would take meaning it’d just delay trains headed towards Lewisham instead of from)
The siding at Crossharbour is only able to take 2 cars, which is the reason it gets very little use now.

Taunton

Established Member
It does seem ridiculous that they’ve cut back the Woolwich service completely but still maintain a Lewisham service frequency of every five minutes when having a Woolwich and a Lewisham every ten minutes would be a lot fairer as Woolwich services are busy in their own right. It does send a message that Lewisham customers are more important than Woolwich ones

Unless of course it’s purely for operational convenience which isn’t much of a consolation
It's not helped by the TfL live departure detail on their website seemingly being unable to display anything for the stations affected, and the equivalent "See departure board" on Google Maps, which must surely be sourced from TfL, is still just showing the regular timetable. The TfL DLR detail for unaffected stations like Abbey Road seems to be displayed fine, so I'm guessing it's just suppressed somewhere.

The TfL website states "We are unable to show live updates at the moment. Please use Timetables to check the frequency of your service", going to there you get "Sorry, an error has occurred. Please try again later".

Strange how the first iteration of DLR detail on the web many years ago, DAISY (something like Docklands Automatic Information SYstem) used to work fine during disruption. But not now.

bramling

Veteran Member

It is entirely operational considerations.

If you were to divert half the Lewisham service, there's nowhere obvious to send them if they can't access the west route. The current solution at least allows the rest of the timetable to remain undisturbed, with the Poplar-Mudchute running time being roughly comparable to Poplar-Bank.

I wonder if it's possible to steal the item of plant from another substation, even if that would result in a reduced service to another part of the DLR?

Smod

Today the situation has got a bit worse. The Beckton service is down to 2-car units instead of 3 due to technical issues. I'm guessing that this might be a need to further reduce power consumption through Shadwell?

That means that the through service from Canning Town to the City is down from 6 cars per 10 minutes to 2 cars per 10 minutes.

That should be fun if it's going to continue like this for a while yet.

Of course it might be something entirely unrelated.

bramling

Veteran Member
Not aware of any plans to extend it, otherwise it would have been done years ago when the DLR first introduced 3-car trains.

The siding has essentially been replaced by Mudchute bay in any case, though this isn’t quite as convenient not being in the centre. Crossharbour had fallen largely out of use even before the 3-car project. It’s probably only been retained because it’s there, and getting rid of it might incur more cost.

I might be misremembering, but it may well have been the case that the reason for its provision in the first place was because the original Island Gardens terminus was difficult to extend for 2-car operation. Eventually Island Gardens was extended, but even then only one platform was able to be done.

Lifelong

Has the electrical issue been resolved on this? I say as there are trains to Bank running today (and last night) and the ‘Special Service’ tfl update has reverted to ‘Good Service’. Would be great if it had, but thought it was going to take longer…

TheManWho

The siding at Crossharbour is only able to take 2 cars, which is the reason it gets very little use now.
Sorry to bump this thread. Headshunt at CRO can take 3 cars, I've taken a number of 3 car trains in over the years

Taunton

Established Member
I believe the reason for the effective abandonment of Crossharbour reversers was the extreme reaction across TfL to the Bank incident on the Central Line with the passenger overcarried into the reversing sidings there, who then walked between cars and fell. After that the considerably enhanced measures to ensure everyone was off mitigated against reversing other than at a staffed platform, which of course the DLR does not have. Also, if I recall correctly, the Mudchute facility was first built as a separate siding, part of the station reconstruction when the Greenwich extension was done, then rebuilt again to be a side platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.