• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DLR on-train automatic announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanKR

I've recently started using the DLR on a regular basis. There is a strange truncation in the message that advises when the platform at the next station is too short for the whole length of the train. For example:
"The next stop is Elverson Road. Light, please move towards the centre of the train."

The "To a-" has been dropped off where it should say:
"The next stop is Elverson Road. To alight, please move towards the centre of the train."

A digital blip?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
I've recently started using the DLR on a regular basis. There is a strange truncation in the message that advises when the platform at the next station is too short for the whole length of the train. For example:
"The next stop is Elverson Road. Light, please move towards the centre of the train."

The "To a-" has been dropped off where it should say:
"The next stop is Elverson Road. To alight, please move towards the centre of the train."

A digital blip?

My understanding is they use a text-to-speech system, which is unusual for train announcements. This may explain why some bits sound not quite right. To be fair, the end product isn’t too bad in terms of clarity, but the voice sounds very monotonous and depressing.

joendrup

This is a long-running issue.

When I started using the DLR in 2015 the announcement was correct but from sometime in 2016 (I think) the truncated message appeared and it has been with us ever since.

Kind regards
Anders

TFN

Worst one was from Greenwich northbound where it would say “The next stop is greenwich at cutty sark first two sets and last two sets of doors will not open, light please move towards the centre of the train”. From that you’d think the platforms at Greenwich are short but nope, it’s Cutty Sark for Maritime Greenwich instead. I haven’t been on the dlr for a while so I don’t know if it’s changed.

How difficult would it be for TfL to implement proper announcements like on the S Stock or 2009TS?

moogal

I don't tend to venture that far south often, but in a similar vein, when a 3-car train runs on the Stratford branch the positioning pauses in the announcement are very strange.

"The next station is Bow Church At. Pudding Mill Lane the firsttwosets and lasttwosets of doors will not open. To alight, please move towards the centre of the train."

plymothian

Worst one was from Greenwich northbound where it would say “The next stop is greenwich at cutty sark first two sets and last two sets of doors will not open, light please move towards the centre of the train”. From that you’d think the platforms at Greenwich are short but nope, it’s Cutty Sark for Maritime Greenwich instead. I haven’t been on the dlr for a while so I don’t know if it’s changed.

How difficult would it be for TfL to implement proper announcements like on the S Stock or 2009TS?

Yep, still does. I was going to post similar. It really grinds my gears.

rebmcr

Established Member
My understanding is they use a text-to-speech system, which is unusual for train announcements. This may explain why some bits sound not quite right. To be fair, the end product isn’t too bad in terms of clarity, but the voice sounds very monotonous and depressing.

Are you certain? There is a very distinct East London accent, especially in the last syllable of 'Airport'.

Impossible currently, the system is still completely out of TfL's hands until the PPI expires in a few years.

Via Bank

The DLR on-train system is not text to speech. On approach to Stratford it plays a recording by Emma Hignett, presumably because the original voice artist was not available to record “TfL Rail.”

The system on the platforms, however, IS text to speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.