• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DMU From eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Snap

Established Member
Hi guys,
I've decided I'm going to invested in a new 00 scale DMU for my layout, and will buy it from eBay, second hand. I have my eyes set on a Class 142, just wondered what people thought of it, and what other DMUs they would reccomend.
Thanks,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
The 142s are hornbya nd are very cr*p runners to say the least. if you got one then i would suggest remotoring it. dapols 150 is ok but no where near amazing, lima well they did a 121 177 and 101 and maybe a few others. these are ok models. the other thing todao is wait for hornby to bring out the 150 and 156!

Dennis

Established Member
feltham2104 said:
The 142s are hornbya nd are very cr*p runners to say the least. if you got one then i would suggest remotoring it. dapols 150 is ok but no where near amazing, lima well they did a 121 177 and 101 and maybe a few others. these are ok models. the other thing todao is wait for hornby to bring out the 150 and 156!

Certainly agree that the Hornby 142 are awful runners - the early ones only had four wheels to pick up the current. I think later ones had all eight acting as pickups so not as bad. The Lima models are greatly improved by remotoring with a Black Beetle as this will significantly improve their running.

richa2002

Established Member
I would recommened a Bachmann 170. I've heard they're very smooth runners and are brilliant models overall.

The Snap

Established Member
Richard Armstrong said:
I would recommened a Bachmann 170. I've heard they're very smooth runners and are brilliant models overall.
I already have a Central Trains Bachmann 170, and have to say, is imaculate! It runs very smooth, and has fully working white and red directional headlights - a smashing model! As regrds to the 142, one is going for £25 on eBay, should I...? I'll see what else I can find.

richa2002

Established Member
I've never seen a 142 run so I I'm unable to comment. Like the others say, I would wait for the 156 to come out.

The Snap

Established Member
Richard Armstrong said:
I've never seen a 142 run so I I'm unable to comment. Like the others say, I would wait for the 156 to come out.
Ah, but if you wait, then when it is finally released, it will cost a fortune, which I don't want to mpay. I would rather pay about £30-40 for a model rom eBay now, than buy a new one from Hattons for example.

ChrisM

The class 142 are really bad runners,i had three and Ebayed the lot.
Bachmann 158s are good as are the Turbostars but i'm waiting for a few Bachmann 150s.

The Snap

Established Member
Richard Armstrong said:
Go for that. Looks like a great deal. Has interior lighting as well! May not be the best runner though.

Yeah, I know that the best runners are always Bachmanns, but they have a limited range of DMus at the moment. Until the 166, 150, 156 and 117 are released by them, they only make 158s and 170s (and a few 168s). I'll go for that 117, looks in good condition, and has lights. Should be a decent runner, but I'm sure not as good as my 170 and Voyager! :D
Thanks for your advice Richard!

Coxster

Established Member
I have a GMPTE Class 142 with a replacement Northern Spirit chassis that I picked up from a show once and it didn't run too bad. Bachmann's 170s and 158s are smooth runners indeed.

class 313

Established Member

richa2002

Established Member
Rich said:
Yeah, I know that the best runners are always Bachmanns, but they have a limited range of DMus at the moment. Until the 166, 150, 156 and 117 are released by them, they only make 158s and 170s (and a few 168s). I'll go for that 117, looks in good condition, and has lights. Should be a decent runner, but I'm sure not as good as my 170 and Voyager! :D
Thanks for your advice Richard!
No problem. If you clean the wheels regulary it should work well. Hope you win it, will keep checking how it's going.

The Snap

Established Member
Bid placed = £42.00 - 1.30mins left! :D
Edit: Some tw*t has just outbid me! FFS!!!!!!!!!!!! Aghhhhhhhhh!

richa2002

Established Member
:( :( Just seen someone outbid you. Should have done with 10 seconds to go :p

The Snap

Established Member
Richard Armstrong said:
:( :( Just seen someone outbid you. Should have done with 10 seconds to go :p
I put a bid on with 2 mins to go, and pressed F5 to reset the page every ten seconds. I got to 10 seconds, and this w*nker came in and put a bid on, I tried to bid again, but I was too late! :(Any other suggestions, as I'm still on the look out for ones going today...

The Snap

Established Member
Richard Armstrong said:

It was, very! :mad: Anyway, that's gone, no point dwelling on it LOL, that Bubble Car is nice, however I fancy a DMU with a nice livery, such as the NSE one, and not a plain BR blue or green one. That also only comes with one car I think...?
Anyway, I'm watching two items now, a class 117 NSE (above), and a Dapol Class 150/2 ;)

richa2002

Established Member
That 117 would be handy for me to pick up if I wanted it. Only a few miles away!

The Snap

Established Member
Richard Armstrong said:
That 117 would be handy for me to pick up if I wanted it. Only a few miles away!
LOL, don't go bidding against me please! :)

Nick

Pity. Rich why not wait for the new Hornby 101/121 or Bachmann 108?

richa2002

Established Member
:D lol, nah, I'm waiting for Hornby's 121 to come out...........

The Snap

Established Member
Nick said:
Pity. Rich why not wait for the new Hornby 101/121 or Bachmann 108?
Because I'm an impatient bugger! :p Anyway, I'm more into recent locos, so 117 are about as far as I'll go back in time...;)
BTW: Who uses Hattons (www.ehattons.com)? They have a full list of trains for Bachmann and Hornby, and feature pictures etc of most of the newest models. ;)

tramboy

I use Hattons...they are a great site, and the models always arrive within a week or so! At busier periods you have to wait upto two weeks for your order to arrive (the dispatch office is run by students from Liverpool Uni, who pick your order when they get it on their list) but I can't say I've had any problems with them!

All the models are in good condition when they arrive, and are always nicely packed (although that's for N, but I'm sure OO are the same!)

Regards

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.