• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DMUs running on one engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Yesterday afternoon I caught the 1658 Norwich to Lowestoft service home from work as both the A47 and A146 were buggered (pretty much typical nowadays sadly :(). The unit I had was 156412, sitting in the second carriage. When we attempted to pull away from Reedham it sounded like the engine in this carriage wasn't working properly. It was idling away while the engine in the first carriage was accelerating attempting to pull both carriages, resulting in a noticeably slower (and quieter!) departure. Eventually the engine in our carriage started revving and accelerating as normal, but it was a surprising delay. The same thing happened again trying to depart from Haddiscoe and at Somerleyton. It seems like a strange fault.

Has anyone else experienced DMUs running on one engine, and before some wisecrack pipes up, no we're not counting single Bubble Cars or single 153s here. :lol:

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dilbertphil

In my experience of 156 driving it is very common to have a delay before both engines have got themselves up and working. I've driven a fair few on Liverpool to Oxford Road on the stopping service with only one engine working it was a painfully slow trip.

Red18

An engine overheating is one possible explanation.
Low level coolant or hydrostatic oil could cause an engine to overheat.
The engine will idle until cooled and then burst into life again until it overheats once more and reverts to idle again.

Pete_uk

Established Member
I had a front carriage of a 158 with no power whatsoever one morning. It was a bit eerie at the crack of dawn

Wst71Pa2

I had a 158 that shut down an engine on the running brake test, due to low hydrostatic. Failed it at next station as it wouldn't shift on the inclines on one engine, and the Batteries don't really last that long anymore

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Going back to Tuesday 19th July 2016, I remember sitting in Coach D on the 14:13 from Oxford to Birmingham New Street (went to a London Midland Meet the Manager session there) and the engine was in idle mode all the way there and when it left New Street on its 15:30 to Newcastle. Quietly loaded 4-car Voyager this was.

From the messages on here, I guess the engine in Coach D for doomed overheated a bit - air-conditioning was working fine and on the delayed 18:04 back. Don't get me started on how I ended up on that service back home !

Mordac

Established Member
Yesterday afternoon I caught the 1658 Norwich to Lowestoft service home from work as both the A47 and A146 were buggered (pretty much typical nowadays sadly :(). The unit I had was 156412, sitting in the second carriage. When we attempted to pull away from Reedham it sounded like the engine in this carriage wasn't working properly. It was idling away while the engine in the first carriage was accelerating attempting to pull both carriages, resulting in a noticeably slower (and quieter!) departure. Eventually the engine in our carriage started revving and accelerating as normal, but it was a surprising delay. The same thing happened again trying to depart from Haddiscoe and at Somerleyton. It seems like a strange fault.

Has anyone else experienced DMUs running on one engine, and before some wisecrack pipes up, no we're not counting single Bubble Cars or single 153s here. :lol:
Damnit!:lol:

Class455

Established Member
The front carriage of 171803 the other day had no power coming from it but all three other engines were still working

apinnard

Been on a few 222's on the southern end of the MML over the years that have had an engine out. The 5 and 7 coach varieties still shift like poo off a shovel leaving Bedford on the down even with the dead engine.

dk1

Veteran Member
156412 has had several issues of one car reverting to idle recently then cutting back in at a certain speed. It's a known fault & the depot is aware.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
156412 has had several issues of one car reverting to idle recently then cutting back in at a certain speed. It's a known fault & the depot is aware.

I'm not surprised to be honest - in one of my rail magazines (recent ones), it says for the EMT fleet that the 156's (not sure on the 153's or 158's) is that the miles per technical incident is something like 9,780 (nearly 12,000 for their HST's and nearly 47,000 for the 222's).

I remember talking to the member of staff on the 02/05/18 in the First Class lounge at Nottingham and her saying something like the 156's have their faults.

Also, 156's do tend to be used on the hills between Sheffield and Stockport quite a bit now. So maybe the engines can't cope much longer.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation

I haven't but going back to I think May 2012, I remember reading on the coffee shop forum site that a Class 180 with then First Great Western ran on one engine. Oops :) !

dazzler

Is it possibly worth pointing out that the 1st generation class 121 and 122 "Bubble Cars" were fitted with 2 diesel engines, one powering an axle on each bogie, in common with most (if not all) of the 1st gen DMUs?

Richard Scott

Established Member
Maybe not quite in keeping with the thread but do remember a 143 failing completely many years ago and being rescued by a 153 so technically on on engine! Did have a 156 on a Cardiff - Birmingham service many years ago running one engine, I alighted at Cheltenham so not sure if it was allowed to try and tackle the Lickey.

Parallel

Established Member
I’ve been on a few 150s and 158s with GWR with one engine out. Despite being slower, it was nice and quiet!

I’ve also been on a 153 with a failed engine, but it was also attached to a 158 and a 150.

But most memorably, I was on a 158 a few years ago with GWR, engine problem when I boarded at Bath, brakes locked on at Freshford, eventually got moving again. Power failed at Avoncliff, but was rebooted, followed by one of the doors not closing at Bradford on Avon. Eventually rolled in about 50 minutes late. It was covering a 2 car 150 diagram mainly around the Bristol area so I think control knew it was a bit poorly.

I have read on this forum before that a poster was on a Transwilts line service when the 153 developed a fault at Trowbridge. Apparently the unit limped to Westbury running about 5mph, but took about half an hour (usually a 5 min journey). Think the poster said it was 153318.

mervyn72

Back in Central Trains days I awaited a Hereford to Brum service which came in on one engine and cancelled. After shunting to rarely used platform 4 it was eventually reinstated and ran to Worcester Shrub Hill. Surprised it was allowed as we held up other services on the single line sections.

Tracked

Established Member
Yes, been on a Sheff-Hull service on a 158 that stopped just before Meadowhall last autumn. Lights and engine in the 1st car went off and stayed off till Doncaster, and on checking RTT it was in Doncaster for about 20 minutes.

CC 72100

Established Member
I have read on this forum before that a poster was on a Transwilts line service when the 153 developed a fault at Trowbridge. Apparently the unit limped to Westbury running about 5mph, but took about half an hour (usually a 5 min journey). Think the poster said it was 153318.

Aha that is yours truly! 153368 on 2nd June 2015 if the file information is correct.

WYSH

I remember back when LM had the 150s on the snow hill line coming back from Worcester to Stourbridge with 1 engine out on a 150. Lovely and quiet but it must’ve struggled up old hill.

Ken H

On Moderation
Is it possibly worth pointing out that the 1st generation class 121 and 122 "Bubble Cars" were fitted with 2 diesel engines, one powering an axle on each bogie, in common with most (if not all) of the 1st gen DMUs?
some 1st gen DMU were downgraded to half power by taking an engine off. the car classification 1st letter was changed to an H. defo happened to units in Yorkshire, not sure about elsewhere. or why they did it. late 70's early 80's I think.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Did have a 156 on a Cardiff - Birmingham service many years ago running one engine, I alighted at Cheltenham so not sure if it was allowed to try and tackle the Lickey.
If the contents of the current sectional appendix are anything to go by, it may have been allowed to tackle the Lickey but with the requirement of a clear run and removal of any booked stop at Bromsgrove.
LNW (South) Sectional Appendix said:
CLASS 15X/17X UNITS WORKING ON REDUCED TRACTION POWER

Special arrangements must be made for Class 15X/17X units when proceeding between Bromsgrove and Blackwell with one or more engines not available for traction. Operations Control must be told of any such technical problems, whether by the Driver via the Signaller or by the TOC Control.

Operations Control must ascertain that local weather conditions are suitable and that there are no emergency or temporary speed restrictions which would prevent an unimpeded run over the section concerned. Arrangements must be made with the Signaller for a ‘clear run’ to be provided between signals BA3630/WB5899 at Stoke Works Junction and signal BA3598 at Blackwell, with the train routed via the Up Gloucester line (Platform 2) at Bromsgrove station. If the train is timetabled to call at Bromsgrove, a ‘not to call’ order must also be issued for that station at Droitwich or Cheltenham Spa
as convenient.

There are separate sets of instructions for the operation of Class 22x and HSTs under reduced power/speed.

big all

On Moderation
some 1st gen DMU were downgraded to half power by taking an engine off. the car classification 1st letter was changed to an H. defo happened to units in Yorkshire, not sure about elsewhere. or why they did it. late 70's early 80's I think.
wasnt that something like 180/235hp hill climb 3 cars reduced to 2 cars and 2 engines removed to give a more normal performance ----3 car cravens or perhaps brcw units come to mind aaahhh probably swindon intercity and transpennine 123/124 units as the reading units where all moved to transpennine land to work together ??

Last edited:

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Not a day goes by without a few 185s running around on 2 engines.....

Pushing one up to 88mph on a full and standing service on the ECM York bound, or lugging itself up the hill from Stalybridge to Standedge (where it's downhill from there to Dewsbury, then uphill again to Morley tunnel) on just one, that's an achievement! But they do it....

I've experienced this twice with 156s on journeys from Fort William to Crianlarich. On the first occasion the engine in the coach I was in cut out on the climb above Loch Treig. The train came to a halt just short of the summit at Corrour, but fortunately the driver managed to get it moving again -- still just on one engine if I remember rightly, although it came back to life later before cutting out again on the next big climb, south of Bridge of Orchy. This time we reached the summit without stalling. On the second occasion it was a 4-car train, therefore running on 75% power rather than 50%, so the only effect was a few minutes' delay.

Greybeard33

Established Member
I have often ridden on Northern 142s and 150s with one engine failed. They just struggle on, losing time all the way. The unpowered carriage has no heating and only emergency lighting (until the batteries die), so best to move to the other one in winter....

big all

On Moderation
about 30 years ago i asked a depot engineer why first generation dmu units could not have a "trainline" wire to charge and power another motor coach electrically either constantly power or as an emergency "hit " to start an engine with a flat battery
and as he pointed out you will just transfer any fault beyond the coach
for anyone not sure first generation units had axle driven generators on trailers or alternators driven by the driven shaft on a motor coach weather by that engine or by the wheels turning motion so a dead motor coach can come to life iff you cover enough distance at enough speed to charge the batteries enough to get the engine ready to party

Journeyman

Established Member

The rather obscure Class 112 and 113 units - similar in appearance to 105s - were two-car sets with one engine under each vehicle, the only first-gen units constructed as such. They were considered non-standard and all had been withdrawn by about 1970.

The Class 111s were modified later in life to one engine per vehicle, but were built with two.

The rather obscure Class 112 and 113 units - similar in appearance to 105s - were two-car sets with one engine under each vehicle, the only first-gen units constructed as such. They were considered non-standard and all had been withdrawn by about 1970.

The Class 111s were modified later in life to one engine per vehicle, but were built with two.

I seem to recall that the 111s had slightly larger 180hp engines rather than the normal 150hp that most of the others had. Newton Heath modified a class 104 power twin by removing one engine/transmission from each vehicle. I don't think it was particularly successful and they only did the one.

whhistle

On Moderation
Watched an HST being pushed into the station once.
Front power car off, so it was very quiet coming in.
Rear one pushed it out again.
Not sure if they do that any more or just fail it wherever and recover at a later time?

Established Member
Not a day goes by without a few 185s running around on 2 engines.....

The illustrious fleet boss had tweaked/improved/****** ** a while ago, when Eco mode came in - automatically shutting an engine down based on GPS co-ordinates, which didn't take account of any (already) depot-isolated engines. I recall limping at 10mph on one engine to a stop to a stop on the viaduct at Slaithwaite. :o

Status
Not open for further replies.