• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do 86s on freight ever work independently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayum

Established Member
Not sure if I’m just seeing the wrong YouTube videos, but every 86 working I see (bar Caledonian Sleeper) is running as a pair.
Do any 86s on freight work Independently? Why?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
86501 used to, though that was often described as a class 90 wearing a class 86 coat due to different working mechanisms.

Basically to allow them to maintain the schedule. A path may not be available if timed for half the power. On the GEML providing enough power to climb Brentwood bank would be another reason, plus the odd hill on the WCML.

nicjoynson

In the last 10 years or so, single class 86s have been unusual but not unheard of. 86501 seems to have worked exclusively on its own until it was converted back to 86608 in May 2016. I've seen a single 86/6 on the GEML once, and a class 86/class 90 combo on Beattock, but they were uncommon.

Nic

apinnard

86501 used to, though that was often described as a class 90 wearing a class 86 coat due to different working mechanisms.

Basically to allow them to maintain the schedule. A path may not be available if timed for half the power. On the GEML providing enough power to climb Brentwood bank would be another reason, plus the odd hill on the WCML.
501 had a tendency to self combust.

Status
Not open for further replies.