• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do Advance Fares Change Once Out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mollycat

Hi All,
First post :)

Had been waiting for Dundee- London reduced train fares to come out for Sunday 27th May.

Had been quite encouraged as prices for previous Sunday (20th) were showing at £35 for 2 adults for the train we need.

Reduced prices for 27th are out today and i'm a bit surprised to see these are £76 for same train.

My question is; will £76 be as cheap as these tickets go, (they were £254 yesterday at full price), or will the price possibly go lower over next few weeks according to demand?

Obviously the danger of waiting for a week or two is that the price will rise in this time.

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Welcome to the board.

It is not usual, but not unheard of, for cheaper advance tickets to show up at a later date.

You may want to check split fares, perhaps buying separately from Dundee to Edinburgh Waverley and Edinburgh Waverley to London Terminals.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Isn't that a half term weekend? (the bank holiday being the week after this year). Might explain the higher fare.

mollycat

Welcome to the board.

It is not usual, but not unheard of, for cheaper advance tickets to show up at a later date.

You may want to check split fares, perhaps buying separately from Dundee to Edinburgh Waverley and Edinburgh Waverley to London Terminals.

Hi Island,
Thanks for yor reply.

Had tried split ticketing with no success. We are quite savvy travellers and are usually good at getting the best prices.

Seem odd that previous Sundays, 20th and 13th are much cheaper than 27th, and no obvious reason.

Think i'll leave it a week :| Cheers!

Edit. Just seen hairyhandedfools post....didn't realise it was a Bank holiday; I suppose that could be the reason it's dearer.

JamesXCity

I bought a return from Leicestee to St Pancras in November/December for travel in January. The advanced fare fell in January. EMT did partially refund me the difference in price.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
£76 for two people? Travelling one-way?

That's not too bad! I guess you're referring to the £38.50 Advance singles which are still available on two of the early trains. I'm not sure you'll gain much, if any, by 'splitting' the tickets - I can see that there are some £5 advances from Dundee to Edinburgh, but the onward journey is still going to cost £36 or more (prices for one person).

I wouldn't advise waiting for the remote chance that a quota of cheaper tickets are released later. Those that are already on offer are just as likely to sell out!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Edit. Just seen hairyhandedfools post....didn't realise it was a Bank holiday; I suppose that could be the reason it's dearer.

The Bank Holiday would have been the 28th (it's normally the last Monday in May), but it has been moved to 4th June this year for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

Half term always falls that week though.

mollycat

£76 for two people? Travelling one-way?

That's not too bad! I guess you're referring to the £38.50 Advance singles which are still available on two of the early trains. I'm not sure you'll gain much, if any, by 'splitting' the tickets - I can see that there are some £5 advances from Dundee to Edinburgh, but the onward journey is still going to cost £36 or more (prices for one person).

I wouldn't advise waiting for the remote chance that a quota of cheaper tickets are released later. Those that are already on offer are just as likely to sell out!

Hi.

Sunday 20th May. 0725 Dundee- London KX, £35 for 2 people.

Sunday 27th May. 0725 Dundee-London KX £76 for 2 people.

Just not sure what that's about?

Thanks for your advice though, might just buy at that price.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The Bank Holiday would have been the 28th (it's normally the last Monday in May), but it has been moved to 4th June this year for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

Half term always falls that week though.

Not round here it isn't. Half term is the Wed-Fri after the two bank holidays.

Is it possible that there is a reduced service that weekend due to engineering work somewhere so they've dropped some of the cheaper quotas.

island

Veteran Member
I'd say it could be something simpler, that the system is programmed not to offer as much cheaper quota on the "weekend before the last Monday in May" and nobody's twigged that it isn't a bank holiday weekend this year.

mollycat

Just found....0725 DEE GRA 1412 £34.80 advance single 27 May

1412 GRA Kings Cross £14.40 Advance single 27 May.

Assume no railcard discount

Thanks very much for the effort Trainfanatic.

Unfortunately the price you've given me is just for one person, so dearer than the £76 without splitting for 2 persons.

Maybe the £35 fare available (for 2) on 20th may just isnt achievable.

Cheers tho!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.