• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do all trains call at Haymarket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jednick

It seems to me that every train I've been on to/from Edinburgh Waverley always stops at Haymarket, if it passes through it.

Is this always the case?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dhassell

I believe normally sleeper services do not call. And it also looks like a once a day an XC voyager from Edinburgh to Glasgow Central does not stop.

thenorthern

Established Member
Sleepers don't call and about 12 years ago when the London to Edinburgh GNER services were extended to Glasgow Central every 2 hours many didn't call.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is this always the case?
VTEC services on diversion via Carlisle (so they approach Edinburgh from the Haymarket direction) don't call unless they're going north of Edinburgh and only then after they've already been through Haymarket and called at Edinburgh.

takno

Established Member
I believe normally sleeper services do not call. And it also looks like a once a day an XC voyager from Edinburgh to Glasgow Central does not stop.
Is that the one that goes via the South Suburban line?

Failed Unit

Established Member
May be worth checking if all trains from Carlisle direction stop. In the past some West Coast ones didn’t but have a feeling they all may do now.

Interestingly non of the extras they run during the festival do.

najaB

Veteran Member
To allow them to use the South Suburban if they needed to turn the unit?
I'd be surprised if that's the case - XC aren't that bothered about having their sets the right way round, and there's nowhere near enough slack in the schedule to allow that alternative route and still get to Glasgow in good time to form the southbound service.

Sox

I'd be surprised if that's the case - XC aren't that bothered about having their sets the right way round, and there's nowhere near enough slack in the schedule to allow that alternative route and still get to Glasgow in good time to form the southbound service.

I thought the reason for turning the sets was to even out tyre wear

najaB

Veteran Member
I thought the reason for turning the sets was to even out tyre wear
That would be a significant factor on a circular metro service, but I don't imagine that there are significantly more left/right curves on routes as long as Aberdeen to Penzance.

PaulLothian

That would be a significant factor on a circular metro service, but I don't imagine that there are significantly more left/right curves on routes as long as Aberdeen to Penzance.
About 50 degrees in total, but I expect someone will be along soon with detailed data on the proportions of left and right turns at different radii!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

The reason might be due to the fact that it arrives at Lanark Junction just 4.5 mins before the 06.53 Lanark - Glasgow. A stop at Haymarket would see it losing its path behind that Lanark service.

Last edited:

greyman42

Established Member
The reason might be due to the fact that it arrives at Lanark Junction just 4.5 mins before the 06.53 Lanark - Glasgow. A stop at Haymarket would see it loosing its path behind that Lanark service.
That sounds good. Thanks.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
May be worth checking if all trains from Carlisle direction stop. In the past some West Coast ones didn’t but have a feeling they all may do now.

Interestingly non of the extras they run during the festival do.

When Virgin XC ran Aberdeen-Edinburgh-Birmingham-South West services, I think they only called at Haymarket once on their way in/out of Edinburgh and non-stopped in the other direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.