• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do ATW run any services through Bristol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti-pacer

Established Member
There is an Arriva training centre outside Temple Meads station, so is this for ATW or Crosscountry?

Also, do ATW actually run any services through Bristol?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

berneyarms

Established Member
There is an Arriva training centre outside Temple Meads station, so is this for ATW or Crosscountry?

No ATW services operate to Bristol.

Only XC and GWR.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Most certainly ATW XC who have a big presence there. Wouldn't be shared as XC and ATW are, although both the same owner, 2 different companies.

Hyphen

Swansea (previously Nottingham/Sheffield)

ATW don't have any of their own services going that way, but their Cardiff Canton based Drivers (can't speak for the Guards) do operate a number of services on FGW's behalf to Bristol TM, Bristol Parkway and Westbury.

As of the May 2015 timetable (don't have December's to hand):

Diagram CF340
06.28 Cardiff C - BristolTM 07.18 (1F03)
07.49 BristolTM - Westbury 08.36 (2C08)
08.45 Westbury - BristolTM 09.36 (2E18)
09.41 BristolTM - Btl Pkway 09.51 (2E18, down as non-driving Route Refresh)
10.12 Btl Pkway - BristolTM 10.24 (2Y12)
Rest break BristolTM 10.30-11.00
11.21 BristolTM - Cardiff C 12.17 (2U12)

Diagram CF343
12.30 Cardiff C - BristolTM 13.18 (1F17, travel as passenger)
13.54 BristolTM - Cardiff C 14.53 (1F16)
ECS to Cardiff W and back 14.57-15.15
15.30 Cardiff C - BristolTM 16.18 (1F25)
Rest break BristolTM 16.23-16.53
17.09 BristolTM - Btl Pkway 17.27 (2D24)
17.41 Btl Pkway - BristolTM 17.59 (2C22)
18.21 BristolTM - Cardiff C 19.24 (2U26)

Diagram CF344
(2x ECS moves from Cardiff C - Cardiff W and back) (5F29/5C87)
18.00 Cardiff C - BristolTM 18.52 (2C87)
Rest break BristolTM 19.00-19.30
19.54 BristolTM - Cardiff C 20.46 (1F30)
ECS to Cardiff W and back 20.49-21.16
21.30 Cardiff C - BristolTM 22.20 (2C94)
22.54 BristolTM - Cardiff C 23.56 (1F36)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

TEW

Established Member
ATW don't run any services to Bristol Temple Meads any more, they did used to run services right down to Penzance though. Even then they weren't worked by ATW staff throughout.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
ATW don't run any services to Bristol Temple Meads any more, they did used to run services right down to Penzance though. Even then they weren't worked by ATW staff throughout.

Apart from the trolley person who went from Newport to Penzance and back.

Bookd

When it used to be Wales and West Trains they had one from Waterloo to Fishguard (all stations west of Cardiff) which would have been interesting if anyone had the stamina!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
When it used to be Wales and West Trains they had one from Waterloo to Fishguard (all stations west of Cardiff) which would have been interesting if anyone had the stamina!

Can't recall a Waterloo to Fishguard and I was involved first hand at the time with them. There was a Waterloo to Maesteg though.

Bookd

Having looked at Wikipedia for Fishguard Harbour station, reference is made to the Waterloo service as being designed to connect with Eurostar. It is said to have arrived Fishguard at 02.38 (01.00 on Sunday and Monday mornings; from memory I think it left Waterloo at about 19.00. The service was withdrawn when ATW took over, as were occasional daytime services from Waterloo to Wales via Salisbury and Bath.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
ATW don't have any of their own services going that way, but their Cardiff Canton based Drivers (can't speak for the Guards) do operate a number of services on FGW's behalf to Bristol TM, Bristol Parkway and Westbury.

I've seen an ATW guards who often works West Wales, working a train between Cardiff and Bristol. That was a few years ago, and things might have changed now, but they certainly used to work to Bristol TM.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I've seen an ATW guards who often works West Wales, working a train between Cardiff and Bristol. That was a few years ago, and things might have changed now, but they certainly used to work to Bristol TM.

I think it's just drivers only now. Guards did work to Bristol for a while
after Wessex TOC was set up but the duties were gradually eroded after time.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Having looked at Wikipedia for Fishguard Harbour station, reference is made to the Waterloo service as being designed to connect with Eurostar. It is said to have arrived Fishguard at 02.38 (01.00 on Sunday and Monday mornings; from memory I think it left Waterloo at about 19.00. The service was withdrawn when ATW took over, as were occasional daytime services from Waterloo to Wales via Salisbury and Bath.

Have had a look at Wilkipedia and the 2003 date was just after my working time. However, I still followed things closely and cannot re-collect it. What I do recall is a 19 15 Waterloo but terminating at Carmarthen which should have reached Fishguard if it went through long before 02 58 and which would have missed the boat. I may be wrong, though.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I seem to remember guards working the 'wrong' TOC's services when I commuted between Newport and Bristol Temple Meads in 2002-4. Can't remember which way round it was though!

It begs the question of why this happens, whether GwR crew work any ATW services now and whether similar arrangement are in force in other parts of the country.

LowLevel

Established Member
TPE crews work the Northern Cleethorpes - Barton services and some Northern Scarborough - Hull services.

When Central Trains was split up for the first year the 3 resulting companies inter worked with things like LM crews working Crewe - Derby and EMT crews working to Birmingham.

Same happened with XC and Virgin West Coast for a short while when WC took over the North of Birmingham XC WC services.

Greater Anglia have a permanent hire whereby an EMT 158 works an early morning Lowestoft service but is still crewed by GA.

There may well be a few others.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

I don't think there is. There is an LNWR (part of Arriva Train Care) depot at Bristol Barton Hill

http://www.arrivatc.com/locations-in-the-uk-bristol-barton-hill.php

Arriva TrainCare Bristol Barton Hill Depot is suited to most forms of traction and rolling stock including freight vehicles for both light and heavy maintenance and refurbishment.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
It's only drivers now - Guards lost it a few years ago, there's now just three B Link Cardiff Main Line Driver jobs a day.

PHILIPE there was a Swindon - Maesteg, not sure if any of the Waterloos Went up the branch though; If anyone is interested can easily find out for you.

They were great Orcats raiders, though. (Now known as Lennon)
EDIT:

There was no regular WAT - FGH service, but may have been the odd one, Wiki may reference a proposed service. The night FGH boat train used to be a HST until recently. There were however, WAT - CDF, WAT-CMN, WAT-MST, a SWI-MST and a night time CDF-PAD and return. Under Wessex there was also a PMH - LIV service and the Penzance to Manchy.

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
It's only drivers now - Guards lost it a few years ago, there's now just three B Link Cardiff Main Line Driver jobs a day.

PHILIPE there was a Swindon - Maesteg, not sure if any of the Waterloos Went up the branch though; If anyone is interested can easily find out for you.

They were great Orcats raiders, though. (Now known as Lennon)
EDIT:

There was no regular WAT - FGH service, but may have been the odd one, Wiki may reference a proposed service. The night FGH boat train used to be a HST until recently. There were however, WAT - CDF, WAT-CMN, WAT-MST, a SWI-MST and a night time CDF-PAD and return. Under Wessex there was also a PMH - LIV service and the Penzance to Manchy.

Also a Manchester Picc to Waterloo via Marches and the last booked passenger service to use the Maindee Curve at Newport, I believe.

MikeHoward940

The only Arriva Trains Wales services into Bristol are those that go onto Bristol Barton Hill for some work to be carried out.

There are no scheduled passenger services any more.

Mike

craigybagel

Established Member
Given how many passengers we see travelling from the south end of the Marches line changing at Newport for Bristol, there probably is a market for the resumption of services (they'd be much more useful than the extra Cardiff-Holyheads the WAG is so keen on). Not likely go happen though.

ATW permanent training centre's are in Cardiff and Chester.

mr williams

I also seem to remember that when the trains running over the Maindee Curve were axed the rail authorities had to go through the formal line closure process as it was technically the withdrawal of all passenger services on the line (all what must have been about 200 yards of it at most!).

D6975

Established Member
Also a Manchester Picc to Waterloo via Marches and the last booked passenger service to use the Maindee Curve at Newport, I believe.

Yup, although they did stop using the curve some time before it officially closed to passenger services because of concerns over the state of the track. It used to go to Newport and reverse, but not pick up/set down passengers. I once saw it reverse on the Godfrey road access track (now the 'new' north side platform)

craigybagel

Established Member
I'm sure I've seen services diverted round that curve to this day. Don't think there's anything booked, but I'm sure it's still used and that atw crews at Cardiff sign it....

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I'm sure I've seen services diverted round that curve to this day. Don't think there's anything booked, but I'm sure it's still used and that atw crews at Cardiff sign it....

There was a weekend of diversions due Engineering Work a couple of years ago when Marches trains were diverted via East Usk and reversed. An ECS to Cheltenham early morning use to divert but a check on RTT doesn't show it doing it now. I did it once about 4 years ago coming down the Marches when we went round he curve and reversed at East Usk when a train had failed in the Triangle. A route conductor turned up from somewhere for us.

Last edited:

headshot119

Established Member

I'm sure 1W42 (04:35 Cardiff Central - Manchester Picadilly) was booked to reverse at Maindee East then go round the curve to Maindee North, for a period last year.

Got a friend looking through some CIF data we have for the period trying to narrow it down.

I've definitely been round it on an ATW but I can't remember why we went that way, possibly a points failure.

craigybagel

Established Member
I'm sure 1W42 (04:35 Cardiff Central - Manchester Picadilly) was booked to reverse at Maindee East then go round the curve to Maindee North, for a period last year.

Got a friend looking through some CIF data we have for the period trying to narrow it down.

I've definitely been round it on an ATW but I can't remember why we went that way, possibly a points failure.

I'm sure I've seen the 2030 Manchester - Cardiff go that way too.....

Status
Not open for further replies.