• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do Buxton advance tickets exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandsofEss

I'm planning a journey from Buxton to London (changing at Stockport) this summer. Advance tickets are available on AWC for the Stockport to Euston leg, but not for the full journey.

I can see advance through fares exist notionally on BRFares, but note that the Northern Railway website does not include Buxton on its list of stations from which advance tickets are available.

Does anybody know if advance tickets starting at Buxton are usually made available please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I'm planning a journey from Buxton to London (changing at Stockport) this summer. Advance tickets are available on AWC for the Stockport to Euston leg, but not for the full journey.

I can see advance through fares exist notionally on BRFares, but note that the Northern Railway website does not include Buxton on its list of stations from which advance tickets are available.

Does anybody know if advance tickets starting at Buxton are usually made available please?
I believe the Northern website is only referring to the Advance tickets they've priced themselves i.e. only AP Northern Only tickets, which it's probably correct to say aren't available from Buxton.

So you should find suitable tickets once the Avanti train you want is open.

According to this link, Northern Advance quotas are only available up to 25 May, so any date after that will only show flexible fares.
Indeed, although overwhelmingly trains from Buxton aren't reservable, so this won't stop the ticket from being sold.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Indeed, although overwhelmingly trains from Buxton aren't reservable, so this won't stop the ticket from being sold.
Look again. From the May timetable change, trains to Buxton are all marked as 'reservations available' which, much as is now the case on the North Downs Line, means you are reliant on the local train provider making quotas available to be able to book longer distance Advance tickets where that didn't used to be the case.

(This was all a lot easier when the long distance trains were reservable and the short distance connections weren't.)

Last edited:

SandsofEss

Thank you for your replies. The Avanti portion is available now, but I can't get an Advance fare through from Buxton.

... though, I've run the numbers and it looks as though smart use of an Off-peak return may trump two advance fares for my fuller journey plans anyway! I'll post this as a new query as the title here won't properly apply.

peters

On Moderation
Looks to be the case with Northern's other routes in the 'South Manchester' group, where you used to be able to get West Coast + Connections advance tickets, these are no longer available even when Advance fares from Stockport, Crewe and Macclesfield are available for the same dates.

It's also the same if you search for tickets for Carlisle or Newcastle now, so not just London specific.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Removing the ability to book though journeys on long distance advance fares looks like good business for Northern given that passengers will need to buy a more expensive ticket for the Northern leg than the 'add-on' (which is sometimes nothing) to the long distance operator's advance fare.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Removing the ability to book though journeys on long distance advance fares looks like good business for Northern given that passengers will need to buy a more expensive ticket for the Northern leg than the 'add-on' (which is sometimes nothing) to the long distance operator's advance fare.

I've wondered how the "& connections" part of Advance fares is apportioned. Particularly where more than one TOC could be the "connection" - is it split, or wholly allocated to who the ticket is reserved with?

Status
Not open for further replies.