• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do Cross Country have a seat selector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pedr

I'm sure they used to let you change the reserved seat that's allocated when booking via their website, but I can't find that option now. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this on their site?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
It looks like they've changed that part of the website and removed the seat selector. https://trainsplit.com/ has a seat selector though - I've just double-checked now and it definitely works on CrossCountry journeys, so you could use that?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
XC have removed the seat selector from their site.
I seem to recall that XC are only doing counted places at the moment, perhaps hence its absence?
Nope; they are reserving seats again and the last few trains I've been on have had the seat reservations displayed.

I always book through Trainsplit; I also aim for HSTs with a preference for Coach G :)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
XC have removed the seat selector from their site.

Nope; they are reserving seats again and the last few trains I've been on have had the seat reservations displayed.

I stand corrected.

I always book through Trainsplit; I also aim for HSTs with a preference for Coach G :)

I certainly use Trainsplit a lot more now it has all-TOC seat selection - a true "killer app"! :)

greyman42

Established Member
I recently travelled on XC and tried to reserve a seat in a specific coach but was that told it was not possible to pick your coach. This was in a a station travel centre.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I recently travelled on XC and tried to reserve a seat in a specific coach but was that told it was not possible to pick your coach. This was in a a station travel centre.

Usually this is because staff are too lazy to do it, as it requires looking up seating plans and trying specific seats manually.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It is possible but the staff probably either did not know how to do it, or did want to spend the time doing it.

Unless I am using an RTV or buying a Rover/Day Ranger product, I tend to buy online, so I can pick my seat.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've not looked in detail but perhaps they changed supplier? The site certainly has a very different feel to it.

They certainly used to use Trainline but there appears to have been a mass exodus away from them lately

Does seem.strange considering the backlash Avanti had when they removed it. Surely they can't have failed to pick up on that.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Does seem.strange considering the backlash Avanti had when they removed it. Surely they can't have failed to pick up on that.
CrossCountry appear to have a very negative attitude towards customers. I don't think they are bothered about their reputation.

Established Member
As far as I am aware it is only for during COVID as the system is currently set up to social distance reservations.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
I've not looked in detail but perhaps they changed supplier? The site certainly has a very different feel to it.

They certainly used to use Trainline but there appears to have been a mass exodus away from them lately

XC still use the Trainline.

pedr

Thanks everyone. I went with TrainSplit in the end. It seems odd at the moment to have a system which fills up one coach with reservations leaving other coaches (officially) empty, given XC are saying reservations are mandatory.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks everyone. I went with TrainSplit in the end. It seems odd at the moment to have a system which fills up one coach with reservations leaving other coaches (officially) empty, given XC are saying reservations are mandatory.
LNER reportedly do the same thing.

Train companies don't generally put the passenger first; this is one of the reasons why I also do what you do rather than book directly with train companies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
True but it makes no sense when the few passengers who are travelling are told to sit near each other.

Fortunately most train crew are pragmatic!

Status
Not open for further replies.