• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do drivers still get watches these days??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tel1969

A friend of mine that was a driver back in the days of BR told me that the drivers were given a watch - does this still happen today?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NHG66

Yes, we get a G Shock style radio controlled TOC watch, uses radio contact of some description to synchronise to the atomic clock.

ExRes

Established Member
Yes, we get a G Shock style radio controlled TOC watch, uses radio contact of some description to synchronise to the atomic clock.

Such memories, I got one of those, it stopped dead, I got another one, it stopped dead, I went back to my 1992 BR watch, it's still working ......

:roll:

dk1

Veteran Member
On GA yes. No batteries these days though, just throw away & get replacement.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
For locos/units that have a TMS, do they sync their clocks with the atomic clock as well?

D365

Veteran Member
For locos/units that have a TMS, do they sync their clocks with the atomic clock as well?

Going by the PIS in most passenger compartments, not at all. If they did, I expect it would be using a 3G/4G data connection.

Not that it has anything to do with wristwatches.

sarahj

Established Member
We have had a selection:

First one was a branded analogue watch where you could set the hours not the mins. Loved it, but it seems some were miss reading. When the battery died it was throw it away.

Next one was digital, was ok. A bit of a pain on hols at it would re-set to uk time at midnight. It had Southern written on it, which soon rubbed off.

Next one was digital, but useless. It would suddenly decide that it was 12.00 in 2005 in Tokyo half way through a shift. You would look at your watch and for a moment be going , oh I've got 3 mins, then suddenly realise it was hours and years out. :roll: I threw it away and now I just use my own Swatch watch which is 10 seconds slow.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Yep. An enormous, digital monstrosity which languishes in my bag and won't be displacing my Tag Heuer anytime soon. <D

LowLevel

Established Member
We had the rubbish reset to 2005 watches which a quick Google suggested was an inherent flaw in the design. I was getting through one a month. We've now got rid of them in favour of the 'Tocwatch' which I have to say seems fairly bulletproof - had mine for ages now without any issues.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
LTS (as was) gave staff analogue watches back in the day. There was one small problem, however...they didn't have a second hand. :lol:

Net result: Everyone ended up with two watches, as the first batch couldn't be returned as they had the company logo on the face.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
I have a £300 Casio Edifice Waveceptor, they tried to give me a company one, but I was allergic to the back of bringing me up in a severe rash.

It (company one) was also exceptionally bad at timekeeping, it kept changing time zones!

tel1969

Seems like if you get one it wont keep time! Im starting with London Overground in May - think i'll stick with something else on my wrist if they do issue me one!

zuriblue

If you don't get one maybe get one of these: ;)

https://www.mondaine.com/watches/official-swiss-railways-watch/simply-elegant/a400-30351-16sbm.html
The Simply Elegant collection is designed for people who love the Mondaine design, but want something more elegant and dressy, perfect for a day in the office or a night on the town. The Simply Elegant case is quite thin, only 6.2 mm high, and the specially designed lugs of the case allow the watch to adapt to any size wrist so the watch sits comfortably flat.
(I don't think that they have the classic SBB movement where the second hand holds for 1 1/2 seconds at the top of the minute)

Last edited by a moderator:

trainmania100

Established Member
I could do with a TOC watch...
So that I get bang on RTT shedule timings without having to worry about my phone being a few seconds out.
As im sure you are all aware, on the railway every minute counts. Seeing 1E or 1L on RTT could be the difference between getting the perfect shot...and getting bowled

Expression357

If you don't get one maybe get one of these: ;)

https://www.mondaine.com/watches/official-swiss-railways-watch/simply-elegant/a400-30351-16sbm.html

(I don't think that they have the classic SBB movement where the second hand holds for 1 1/2 seconds at the top of the minute)

Yes they do... check out the "stop2go" series.

https://www.mondaine.com/watches/official-swiss-railways-watch/stop2go/a512-30358-16sbb.html

The fascinating execution of stop2go, like on the original clock, features the famous red second hand that turns full circle in 58 seconds and then waits at 12 o'clock for the black minute hand to move on, before jumping one marker forwards, starting its next rotation. Two seconds which sometimes can change our life?

Last edited by a moderator:

14xxDave

I have one....

I have just started my driver training with Southeastern, and we received our watch and Ipad yesterday .

Its a Casio wave captor and although quite basic looking it does exactly what it needs too, It has a small SE Logo on it, but to be honest I dont mind that, I have other nicer watches to wear when not at work.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I have just started my driver training with Southeastern, and we received our watch and Ipad yesterday .

Its a Casio wave captor and although quite basic looking it does exactly what it needs too, It has a small SE Logo on it, but to be honest I dont mind that, I have other nicer watches to wear when not at work.

I can understand the need to issue a watch, but what on earth do you need an iPad for?

LowLevel

Established Member
It's the new thing to get notices and things on a tablet now. Except at our TOC where everything electric must be killed off before setting foot in it (except a DM's tablet for assessing!) to the point that the drivers were issued a stern notice instructing them that the newly installed USB sockets in the cab were exclusively for the use of the guard!

fowler9

Established Member
I have a Mondaine. I don't suppose anyone can recommend a good place to go in Liverpool or nearby for a new battery and strap?

jon0844

Veteran Member
I can understand the need to issue a watch, but what on earth do you need an iPad for?
Angry Birds 2 and the latest edition of the Guardian (or your favourite paper). Train driving can be boring otherwise....

[emoji3]

Status
Not open for further replies.