• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do I get compensated if a delay causes me to miss my connecting train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

highspeed990

I will be travelling on 2 separate trains, and I have 8 minutes to catch my second train after I get off the first. That's plenty of time, however if the first train is just a few minutes late, I will miss my second train. My second train is the last train, so if I miss it, I cannot take the next train.

I have been reading up online and people are saying that if a delay causes you to miss your connecting train, they either have to let you on the next train (I am using advance tickets. but this is the last train so that won't be possible), or arrange other transportation at their expense. If i miss the last train, a taxi will be the only option.

The minimum connecting time at the station I will be changing at is 7 minutes, however mine is 8 minutes so they can't tell me 'you should have made enough time'.

The 2 train services are provided by different TOCs and I booked the tickets from the website of a third TOC which I will not be using for my journey. So could they say 'sorry different company not our problem' or 'sorry you didn't book from our website'?

If not, will I have a taxi provided for me, have the price of the second part of my journey refunded, or both?

And who would I have to speak to arrange for a taxi to be paid for me? Can it be the ticket office, or does it have to be staff that works for a particular company? The station is quite big, but none of the 2 operators who I booked tickets for operate the station, so it is unlikely I will find their staff. However the TOC who does operate the station is the same one who's website I booked their ticket from.

Any advice will be appreciated, thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You are covered for the full journey in the event of delays

What are the journey details?

highspeed990

You are covered for the full journey in the event of delays

What are the journey details?

Hi thanks for the reply, I am catching an east midlands trains to peterborough and then a greater anglia ipswich train (the last one). Virgin trains run the peterborough station and i also booked the tickets from them, so if I am covered, what does this entitle me to exactly and which staff must I speak with at the station?

Established Member
That's a connection I've done on a few occasions and it has nearly always worked. The GA train calls at Whittlesey, March and Manea where as the East Mids service is non stop to Ely, so the GA train is usually held to follow unless the East Mids train is hopelessly late (like yesterday).

On one occasion the East Mids train was late, but the GA train was held at Ely to connect, and on another the GA train was cancelled, long taxi journey from Ely. Whatever happens, so long as the connection is a valid one, you'll get home somehow.

highspeed990

That's a connection I've done on a few occasions and it has nearly always worked. The GA train calls at Whittlesey, March and Manea where as the East Mids service is non stop to Ely, so the GA train is usually held to follow unless the East Mids train is hopelessly late (like yesterday).

On one occasion the East Mids train was late, but the GA train was held at Ely to connect, and on another the GA train was cancelled, long taxi journey from Ely. Whatever happens, so long as the connection is a valid one, you'll get home somehow.

Hi thanks for the reply, so they actually held the train to allow passengers from the delayed train to connect? I thought they didn't do this because it messes up other passenger's schedules. Well I don't know if they would do it at Peterborough which is bigger than Ely. And was your taxi fare paid for by the railway?

Established Member
It isn't always as black and white as that. In this specific case the GA train is slower than the EM train as it has three extra stops. Allowing the GA train to go first could significantly further delay the EM train (depending on how late it already is) as there is nowhere for it to overtake between Peterborough and Ely. That could, for example, sever the connection at Ely between the EM train and the train to Kings Lynn.

Just one tip if you are travelling beyond Ely. At Peterborough the EM train is scheduled to use platform 5, the GA train platform 6, so you would have to use the footbridge. At Ely both trains use opposite sides of the same island platform. Therefore it is easier to change at Ely, but as you are on advance tickets this may not be possible on this occasion. It also prevents the following potential scenario:

With that platforming arrangement at Peterborough it is possible for both trains to depart at the same time, although the GA train would only go one signal and then have to wait for the EM train. You don't want a super keen member of staff to despatch the GA train on time while you are running across the footbridge, and then run back and find the EM train has gone too!

And finally if all is lost the railway did indeed pay for my taxi, although a black cab across the A14 (facing backwards, there were four of us) wasn't the most comfortable experience.

Last edited:

highspeed990

It isn't always as black and white as that. In this specific case the GA train is slower than the EM train as it has three extra stops. Allowing the GA train to go first could significantly further delay the EM train (depending on how late it already is) as there is nowhere for it to overtake between Peterborough and Ely. That could, for example, sever the connection at Ely between the EM train and the train to Kings Lynn.

Just one tip if you are travelling beyond Ely. At Peterborough the EM train is scheduled to use platform 5, the GA train platform 6, so you would have to use the footbridge. At Ely both trains use opposite sides of the same island platform. Therefore it is easier to change at Ely, but as you are on advance tickets this may not be possible on this occasion. It also prevents the following potential scenario:

With that platforming arrangement at Peterborough it is possible for both trains to depart at the same time, although the GA train would only go one signal and then have to wait for the EM train. You don't want a super keen member of staff to despatch the GA train on time while you are running across the footbridge, and then run back and find the EM train has gone too!

And finally if all is lost the railway did indeed pay for my taxi, although a black cab across the A14 (facing backwards, there were four of us) wasn't the most comfortable experience.

Oh sorry I got confused for a second. The greater anglia train is due to depart 8 minutes after the east midlands trains, so let's say the east midlands trains is 10 minutes late, you're saying they would make the greater anglia train wait 2 minutes for it to depart anyway, because otherwise it will only hold up the EMT further down the line and cause more delays for it?

And yes I have advance tickets, but my final destination is a station that isn't served by EMT at that time, so Peterborough is the only convenient station to change, I didn't think much of the connection time when booking it, till I went on the national rail app to view that particular EMT train service to get an idea of how often delays are and saw 40 minute delays at some point.

Established Member
Oh sorry I got confused for a second. The greater anglia train is due to depart 8 minutes after the east midlands trains, so let's say the east midlands trains is 10 minutes late, you're saying they would make the greater anglia train wait 2 minutes for it to depart anyway, because otherwise it will only hold up the EMT further down the line and cause more delays for it?

Basically yes. Of course the GA train won't wait forever, and I don't know the cut-off time for how late the EM train has to be before the decision is made to let the GA train go first.

highspeed990

Basically yes. Of course the GA train won't wait forever, and I don't know the cut-off time for how late the EM train has to be before the decision is made to let the GA train go first.

Oh ok hopefully I won't miss it then, unless they lock all the doors before waiting. But if I do then do I just ask any Peterborough staff to have a taxi provided for me? And am I also entitled to a refund for the part of the journey I missed or is the taxi provided for me considered part of my train ticket should I require one?

Established Member
Oh ok hopefully I won't miss it then, unless they lock all the doors before waiting. But if I do then do I just ask any Peterborough staff to have a taxi provided for me? And am I also entitled to a refund for the part of the journey I missed or is the taxi provided for me considered part of my train ticket should I require one?

You'd be entitled to delay repay (should that be appropriate if your delay was more than 30 minutes) but not a refund.

highspeed990

You'd be entitled to delay repay (should that be appropriate if your delay was more than 30 minutes) but not a refund.

Yes but this is the last train so essentially I will have paid for a service I can't use? And will I not be entitled to a taxi as the rail company must take you to your destination.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes but this is the last train so essentially I will have paid for a service I can't use?
I think you misunderstood.

If a delay occurs, and it is not possible for you to complete your journey by rail you will be taken to your final destination by road transport.

In addition to the entitlement of completion of journey, you are also entitled to delay compensation, if you arrive at your destination 30 or more minutes late.
And will I not be entitled to a taxi as the rail company must take you to your destination.
You will be entitled to alternative transport to the final destination on your ticket(s).

Veteran Member
As a PS, if you are travelling on split tickets, I would recommend speaking to the onboard staff of your EMT service before reaching Peterborough as otherwise they may not be aware that you have a connection to make.

ashworth

Established Member
If the EMT train is running late and you are doubtful about being able to get across the bridge in time at Peterborough, it may be worth asking the EMT guard if you can remain on the train and change at Ely instead. It’s always worth a try. I always find the EMT staff on the Liverpool to Norwich service quite friendly and helpful. You would probably know on departing Grantham whether you are running late or not.

Last edited:

highspeed990

I think you misunderstood.

If a delay occurs, and it is not possible for you to complete your journey by rail you will be taken to your final destination by road transport.

In addition to the entitlement of completion of journey, you are also entitled to delay compensation, if you arrive at your destination 30 or more minutes late.

You will be entitled to alternative transport to the final destination on your ticket(s).

Oh I see, so because I have a taxi provided that still counts as using the ticket, but if the taxi takes more than 30 minutes I am entitled to a refund? And will they send the taxi to the station or to my house? (my house is closer than the station anyway)

highspeed990

I don't think the guard would know anyway, and I can't change at Ely as I'm getting off before Ely so there won't be a GA train toward Peterborough either.

robbeech

Established Member
Officially the taxi would take you to the station, although usually a taxi driver would be happy to drop you at home if it is a similar distance and makes sense (especially if it is late at night). I have been dropped off at home instead of my local station before by taxi because it is neither her nor there distance wise.

Qwerty133

Established Member
Officially the taxi would take you to the station, although usually a taxi driver would be happy to drop you at home if it is a similar distance and makes sense (especially if it is late at night). I have been dropped off at home instead of my local station before by taxi because it is neither her nor there distance wise.
Although in a case like this it is likely that the OP wouldn't be the only passenger who required that connection so is likely to be in a shared Taxi which for obvious reasons would only drop off at the station.

robbeech

Established Member
Although in a case like this it is likely that the OP wouldn't be the only passenger who required that connection so is likely to be in a shared Taxi which for obvious reasons would only drop off at the station.

This is very true, although i once had a taxi to Whitwell with another passenger going to Creswell (one station further down the line) and they dropped me off at home, and i can only assume them too. That said, the routing there is easier that going to the station.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I don't think the guard would know anyway, and I can't change at Ely as I'm getting off before Ely so there won't be a GA train toward Peterborough either.

What actually is your final destination? From your wording it sounded like Ipswich, but this wasn't clear? Do you intend to catch the Colchester service from Peterborough, at 2145?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Oh I see, so because I have a taxi provided that still counts as using the ticket, but if the taxi takes more than 30 minutes I am entitled to a refund? And will they send the taxi to the station or to my house? (my house is closer than the station anyway)

A refund is for tickets which have not been used. In exceptional circumstances they might also be paid for tickets which are part-used and then the customer is returned to their origin because their destination cannot be reached, for example because of severe weather.

Compensation for delays, which, in the case of East Midlands Trains takes the form of Delay Repay is different to a refund. It depends how late you are and what type of ticket you had:

3. What might I get if I am delayed?

1. If you are delayed by:

• 30 to 59 minutes - we will pay compensation to the value of 50% of the cost of the single ticket or 50% of the relevant portion* held for the journey.

• 1 hour to 1 hour 59 minutes delayed - we will pay compensation to the value of 100% of the cost of the single ticket or 100% of the relevant portion* held for the journey.

• 2 hours or more - we will pay compensation to the value of 100% of the cost of the single ticket or 100% of the cost of the return ticket (i.e. both portions, not just one way) held for the journey.

If you are a season ticket holder, compensation is based on the proportionate cost of a single journey and to a maximum payment of the full days journey cost per day.

• Weekly - 1/10th of ticket cost

• Monthly - 1/40th of ticket cost

• Annual - 1/464th of ticket cost

*By ‘relevant portion’ we mean either the outward or return portion of a return ticket, depending on whether you were delayed on your outward or return journey.If you are a season ticket holder, compensation is based on the proportionate cost of a single journey and to a maximum payment of the full days journey cost per day.
www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/information/Delay-Repay

Calculating your entitlement to 'Delay Repay' when you arrive at your final destination by some means other than a train can be a little difficult as there is no record of this as there would be with a train. However, you can apply the same principle, so if your taxi journey meant that you arrived more than 30 minutes after you would have done if you had caught the train and it had been on time, then you can claim delay repay. This is far from a given because in some circumstances a taxi can complete the journey in question more quickly than the train. There can also be some long delays in organising taxis at times which can mean overall delays of hours.

During major disruption, it can be common for train companies to offer taxis to people to wherever they need to be rather than to a station specifically. This seems a bit unlikely in this situation, but you might be able to speak to the taxi driver about it once you are underway.

Last edited:

highspeed990

Yes that's correct it's the last train. So what I've understood is if they provide me a taxi I will have used the ticket so can't get a refund but if the taxi gets there 30 minutes later than it is supposed to I can claim partial delay repay. How would I prove the taxi is 30 minutes late though?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Yes that's correct it's the last train. So what I've understood is if they provide me a taxi I will have used the ticket so can't get a refund but if the taxi gets there 30 minutes later than it is supposed to I can claim partial delay repay. How would I prove the taxi is 30 minutes late though?

You don't need to prove anything.

If, for example, your train is 30 minutes late and then you have to wait for a taxi then it is self-evident that you're probably over 30 minutes late at your final destination.

In practice, nobody is going to check whether a taxi was 22, 28, 34 or 57 minutes late, blah blah blah. In your case I suspect the road route is significantly slower than the rail journey.

So, in summary:

1) Do the journey. It will probably be fine. If not,

2) Speak to station staff who should authorise a taxi or road transport.

3) If you are over 30 minutes late at your (as yet undisclosed) destination then you can claim Delay Repay.

highspeed990

Oh ok, I got confused because I thought you could only get compensation if your train is late to your starting point, so that if the train picked you up on time but arrived at your destination an hour late you couldn't claim. Hopefully it'll be ok but I like to plan for all possibilities. I've been looking at the national rail departures for this service and some have been up to 12 minutes so I've no idea if they'll hold the train for connecting passengers.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
...if the taxi takes more than 30 minutes I am entitled to a refund?...
If the taxi arrives at your destination station 30 or more minutes later than you were originally scheduled to arrive, you would be entitled to Delay Repay compensation.

There is no need to prove anything; the company can look up the train times and the rest would be fairly obvious.

alxndr

Established Member
If you're particularly concerned about proving the time you arrived at your destination station via taxi—even though it shouldn't be necessary—then you could always ask the driver to write a note confirming the date and time of your arrival. They generally keep a stack of slips/cards for receipts that they could easily use for this.

highspeed990

I'll be on my way soon, can anyone give me a link to or tell me the specific by law that requires the toc to provide me a taxi, so I can keep it handy just in case I meet some misinformed or ignorant staff, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.