• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do I have any right to keep my train ticket after the journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I can't think of many other big national stores which would issue a receipt that doesn't list what was actually bought.

Try asking Tesco for a VAT receipt. It took 15 minutes because I couldn't give them an acceptable postcode for their database!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

muz379

Established Member
I've just made a delay repay claim with Virgin Trains due to the WCML chaos last Wednesday. Virgin ask that you show them the ticket when you make such a claim, either by scanning it and uploading the picture on their website or by posting it to them.

A fair request otherwise anyone could slap in a claim for late running even if they were not on the train.

So, if I had to give up my ticket how would I be able to claim compensation?

in this situation if you where to have your ticket taken from you the ticket number itself as well as an explanation of the situation and a receipt from whoever has withdrawn it should suffice as that can then be used to find out the exact ticket issued and the receipt that says that person X has taken that numbered ticket from you is your proof that you had that ticket at some point .
Although its highly unlikely that anybody is going to withdraw your ticket if you explain you need it for these purposes . Unless of course they suspect it is a fraudulent ticket , and even then they should issue you with a full receipt detailing the exact situation and ticket .

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
In the case of fraudulent print-outs, I would argue that it does not qualify as a "ticket", so none of the aforementioned problems that the passenger may experience apply. Withdraw away. ;)

Deerfold

Veteran Member
In the case of fraudulent print-outs, I would argue that it does not qualify as a "ticket", so none of the aforementioned problems that the passenger may experience apply. Withdraw away. ;)

And, if as muz379 said, it is a suspected fraudulent ticket?

muz379

Established Member

or dont withdraw away because if it is a fraudulant ticket it is not actually property of the railway is it .

muz379

Established Member
Lol. I'd love to see someone try that line of argument.

Well I mean to be fair its not property of the railway so there is no way to force them to hand it over unless the BTP come and take it as evidence as part of an investigation into its fraudulent use as a ticket .

It however would not be a valid ticket if the person used that argument and so they would have to purchase one of those

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Either way you argue it, the holder will be in deep trouble. :)

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
or dont withdraw away because if it is a fraudulant ticket it is not actually property of the railway is it .
Eh?
If an item is thought to be relevant to an investigation, then it is appropriate for the investigating Officer to take custody of the item for further analysis and/or for use as Evidence in any legal proceedings.

muz379

Established Member
Eh?
If an item is thought to be relevant to an investigation, then it is appropriate for the investigating Officer to take custody of the item for further analysis and/or for use as Evidence in any legal proceedings.

yes , however that does not give a member of railway staff any right to withdraw the item as they do with tickets which are property of the railway .

I was merely being pedantic :p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's probably a bit late for them to be buying a ticket by that point!

Depends on if they want to continue their journey or not though does it .

Flamingo

Established Member
Try asking Tesco for a VAT receipt. It took 15 minutes because I couldn't give them an acceptable postcode for their database!

Try telling some people there is no VAT on train tickets! It took me ten minutes and a trip through Google (on my own phone) before the last chap would believe me!

Clip

Established Member
yes , however that does not give a member of railway staff any right to withdraw the item as they do with tickets which are property of the railway .

I was merely being pedantic :p

We noticed, again.

But its rather silly because even a well done forgery would have 'Property of the railway*' on it so therefore it would belong to the railway.

*Or whatever it says.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

I've never had a problem getting a VAT receipt at a Tesco petrol station. But even the non-VAT receipt shows what I actually bought at the supermarket, it doesn't just list "food" and "drink".

Train tickets don't attract VAT, either* ;)

*which makes that Northern Rail receipt even more dumb

Chrisgr31

Established Member
As a matter of interest why should an employer accept a receipt as evidence that an employee travelled on a particular train on a particular route for expenses purposes when a TOC won't accept that same receipt as evidence that the same person travelled on the same trian and journey for Delay Repay purposes?

Incidentially if you hold a number of nicketts for your complete journey so say a season ticket and advance ticket, you need to keep your tickets until you have completed the entire journey otherwise you wont be able to prove part.

So I have recently claimed for delay repay on the home leg (by season ticket) of a journey that commenced in Manchester. The Manchester -London part was on time, so I could have given up my ticket. Fortunately I didn't because the London -Home leg was delayed. Delay repay applied to the whole journey so I needed the Manchester ticket.

Oh and fortunately my employer trusts us to book tickets to where we are going and nowhere else. The outcome is that we can book the tickets on the internal system and print them on rail ticket stock in the office, so have no receipt!

As regards changing employer due to an expense policy, that is obviously easier said than done, particularly as there's nothing to say one won't be jumping out the frying pan in to the fire!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
As a matter of interest why should an employer accept a receipt as evidence that an employee travelled on a particular train on a particular route for expenses purposes when a TOC won't accept that same receipt as evidence that the same person travelled on the same trian and journey for Delay Repay purposes?....

TOCs require the ticket so some [less than honest] people don't claim twice for the same journey.

....Incidentially if you hold a number of nicketts for your complete journey so say a season ticket and advance ticket, you need to keep your tickets until you have completed the entire journey otherwise you wont be able to prove part....

The railway should allow you to keep the tickets for your journey until you complete it.If automatic barriers are in use you can ask the gateline assistant to let you out for that reason.

....Oh and fortunately my employer trusts us to book tickets to where we are going and nowhere else. The outcome is that we can book the tickets on the internal system and print them on rail ticket stock in the office, so have no receipt!....

Is there not a log of buying the ticket on the internal system? Do you get email confirmation of the booking?

najaB

Veteran Member
As a matter of interest why should an employer accept a receipt as evidence that an employee travelled on a particular train on a particular route for expenses purposes when a TOC won't accept that same receipt as evidence that the same person travelled on the same trian and journey for Delay Repay purposes?
But they don't - they just require any ticket that would be valid on that train. There's been more than one occasion where I've been on a train other than the one I had booked but was able to claim for a delay.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
TOCs require the ticket so some [less than honest] people don't claim twice for the same journey.

Is there not a log of buying the ticket on the internal system? Do you get email confirmation of the booking?

Is it really possible to claim delay repay for the same journey twice? The fact it is possible would seem daft, although I guess they could use a friends details for the second occasion.

We do get an email receipt but I dont think it gives the price, just details of the trains we are booked on. SOme colleagues dont like the iternal booking, personally I love it, No need to pay upfront and claim back!

LordCreed

My work requires an itemised receipt for any expense claim. Therefore I need to retain the ticket to show the journey made, especially when using a vending machine that is unable to generate itemised receipts..

More than once I've had to purchase tickets from a penalty fare station from a vending machine as there is no other choice..

Lucas

MKB

Although I travel a lot by train, I rarely travel through destination stations with gates, and the last time I had a ticket retained was several years ago.

However, last Saturday, I travelled from Manchester Oxford Road to Liverpool Lime Street and back, and paid with a travel voucher on the day and didn't get given a receipt. The return journey was delayed by more than 30 minutes and I was taken by surprise when the gate at MCO swallowed my ticket.

I have the outbound ticket only. How do I claim Delay Repay?

Update: Delay Repay was duly claimed from TPE using just the outbound ticket, and, today, they have paid up, without fuss.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Is it really possible to claim delay repay for the same journey twice? The fact it is possible would seem daft, although I guess they could use a friends details for the second occasion.

We do get an email receipt but I dont think it gives the price, just details of the trains we are booked on. SOme colleagues dont like the iternal booking, personally I love it, No need to pay upfront and claim back!

If all that was required was a receipt or a ticket, then, yes, it could easily be claimed twice (doesn't mean it would get paid of course).

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Modern receipts (the non-useless variety) state the issuer and contain the ticket number. It is easily confirmed whether one matches a specific ticket.

Of course, it's even easier to insist on the ticket for delay compensation claims, which is absolutely fine as long as passengers are permitted to retain them for this purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.