• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do I have to go via London?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbeech

Established Member
Hi guys.

I'm off to Plymouth for a couple of days from Worksop and I'm weighing up whether to drive (a comfy 50mpg + car) or get the train which is 3 times the price, takes longer but is far less effort. One of the things that might swing things in one direction or another is the via London routeing.
I'm travelling tomorrow after lunch and want to come back Friday morning. However I might want to go to London Friday.

The question is if I pay the extra £11 for a via London ticket so I can go through Paddington on my way back and then around to king's cross and up north from there do I have to use that route on the way down too or can i stick to the regular route via Sheffield and a cross country service all the way from there?

It takes over an hour longer and has the obvious through London hassle so if that's the case I shall probably drive and then park at Staines or similar on Friday to get a train in from there.

Rob

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dquebec

Worksop to Plymouth has two routes:

NOT VIA LONDON
+ANY PERMITTED

If you buy the +ANY PERMITTED ticket you can go via London (or on XC) in both directions.
If you buy the NOT VIA LONDON ticket, you will need a change of route excess for the outward portion.

Last edited:

robbeech

Established Member
I had considered the comfort option knowing what VTEC is like. I'm still undecided, I guess I will see how indeed in the morning. Thanks for the replies. I couldn't find the term any permitted on either which is why I wasn't sure.

Rob

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Worksop to Plymouth has two routes:

NOT VIA LONDON
+ANY PERMITTED

If you buy the +ANY PERMITTED ticket you can go via London (or on XC) in both directions.
If you buy the NOT VIA LONDON ticket, you will need a change of route excess for the outward portion.

Excess the return portion (Friday's journey), not the outward one (Wednesday's journey). The change of route excess for one direction is half the difference in fares, making this the cheaper option, however, a word of caution, some staff seem to dislike changing a ticket type on a change of route excess fare. Also note that the differing ticket types and routeings have different time restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.